Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Winter Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB172

Weir says he is really going to bring the outfit for the skating gala tomorrow, well that should be interesting to see what he is going to wear.

epicamends

It's been an amazing past two days for Canada! Got to watch the women win hockey gold yesterday during my lunch break - we had the game on in our boardroom. Unfortunately I was in meetings all morning today so I didn't get to see the men's game, but I'll be up bright and early on Sunday to cheer Canada on to gold! (I won't be going to the bars like a lot of people I know, though. lol. I will still be in my pajamas at 5am, thank you very much.)

We're also shooting up in those rankings - up to #3 in the standings behind only Norway and Russia, and we're only 3 medals away from tying the US in total medals. :)

teesharky

That game today was too embarassing to even comment on. Wow.

Whoever said Finland was good was right.

But we didn't even show up. It was like we were sleep walking. What a bummer.

USA was doing so well in the Olympics until the hockey finales. Lol

teesharky

Happy for Steve Holcomb to get another bobsled medal today. He must be proud.

so Russia won the most medals with 33, and USA came in second place with 28. Not bad considering out speed skaters flopped and our solo skaters couldn't medal.

epicamends

Gold, baby! Team Canada totally dominated Sweden this morning. Proud of our boys.

Canada overall had an excellent Olympics. Finishing in third place in the overall medal standings ahead of the US and just behind Russia and Norway, with 10 gold, 10 silver and 5 bronze, a total of 25 medals. We came just one medal shy of our 2010 record-breaking medal count. Definitely Canada proud today! :)

teesharky

No USA has 28 medals and finished 2nd place behind only Russia. They beat Canada. You must have seen the wrong chart.

USA finished second place with 28 medals behind only Russia.

epicamends

No USA has 28 medals and finished 2nd place behind only Russia. They beat Canada. You must have seen the wrong chart.

USA finished second place with 28 medals behind only Russia.

I wasn't looking at the wrong chart. There is the medal count and the medal standings. Medal count simply takes into account the total number of medals, but medal standings take into account the type of medal. These are the medal standings from the official Olympic website:

34g4wzm.png

(America never shows the medal standings in their media, but most of the rest of the world focuses on the standings, not the count.)

pkc4rls

^ Just curious but do you know that the majority on this site are probably from the USA, as is Carrie, but you seem to be intent on putting us in our place or something (which btw, is a very good place to be). We did finish 2nd in the total medal count and I don't see anything wrong with the USA displaying it that way. Besides you were the one that decided to make a point that we were supposedly lower in the standings then Canada but who the heck cares. Do you think anyone will remember next week if we were higher or Canada was higher in medals?? I didn't know there was a rule on how you count these things.

epicamends

How is me being proud of my country interpreted as me trying to "put you in your place"? All I was doing is pointing out that there is a different way of looking at these things, and just because the USA doesn't look at it that way doesn't mean people in the rest of the world don't.

Yeah, I'm damn proud of how well my country and our Canadian athletes performed, and there is nothing wrong with me expressing that.

epicamends

^ And that is fine. I never said that anyone shouldn't be proud of their country. Everyone should.

Me explaining the difference between medal standings and medal count is not insinuating that either method of ranking is better than the other, it's simply pointing out that there are two different chart rankings and some countries focus on one while other countries focus on another. Since medal standings aren't often (if ever) shown in the American media, it's understandable that many Americans wouldn't know that a separate chart exists.

The only reason I explained the difference was because Tee said I "must've seen the wrong chart," and I actually hadn't. As you can see from my original post, I was talking about the standings chart, not the count.

Status
Not open for further replies.