Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 ACM Awards on May 11

countrymusicfan15

That is a bit overkill for Lainey. She’s the new Miranda, I guess. Not sure why though. Sad Carrie never got that treatment.

glad Carrie skipped the show. She had some of the loudest cheers for EOTY, and Chris winning is odd. Not sure how that happened.
They tried it with Carly and now they try it with Lainey. Maybe she’ll break through but it’s very very tough for females to make any leaps these days. I really don’t think we’ll ever get another Carrie or Miranda again…at least not any time soon

Jane-Alex

I’m glad Carrie didn’t go since she didn’t win and they didn’t even nominate her for fvoty.
Though If she went and performed, I think she’d have performed HMH again and not different song.

I’m not upset Lainey won. I find her interesting.

CU4ever

Honestly, I wonder if Carrie didn’t go because of the FVOTY snub. She knows she very sadly isn’t winning EOTY (didn’t someone say she told them that at a meet and greet?) but she still usually goes and performs because that’s the good person she is

rcramer

Honestly, I wonder if Carrie didn’t go because of the FVOTY snub. She knows she very sadly isn’t winning EOTY (didn’t someone say she told them that at a meet and greet?) but she still usually goes and performs because that’s the good person she is
Well sometimes you have to look above that and move on.... The CMAs and AMAS will never be her friend anymore..... It all stems down to WME... All of their artists win the most nominations and the big wins.....

I'm glad Carrie is doing what she is, just rub in their damn faces.... The industry is a joke now anyway.... Even to the point of where they are hosting them now.... Glad not to watch anymore.....

rcramer

I’m glad Carrie didn’t go since she didn’t win and they didn’t even nominate her for fvoty.
Though If she went and performed, I think she’d have performed HMH again and not different song.

I’m not upset Lainey won. I find her interesting.
Same here.....

Michael Reid

Yes it was me at my meet and greet. Where she did say she doesn’t think or expect it to happen.

it was also announced that Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert have 3 duets for the CBS’s Fire Country TV show this Friday 2 of them come out. The 3rd one is on the finale and it’s called Something In The Water…..

Zach1998

I honestly think the only award Carrie cares about anymore is EOTY at the CMA's (and I have to believe even that one has gotten watered down for her after what took place at the 2019 CMAs).

I think she'll continue to attend shows if she has a benefit (promoting her material) but she doesn't feel obligated to go if she has something else going on, like her girls vacation, followed by her 15th Opry anniversary.

She just did HMH at the CMTs and given it looks like they are sticking with that single, she probably didn't see a reason to go all the way to Texas just to rehash a performance of it (which I agree.) I do believe if she wanted to go she would have easily been given a performance slot. She is still one of the primary draws for people to watch those things.

Last edited:

liz278

Yes it was me at my meet and greet. Where she did say she doesn’t think or expect it to happen.

it was also announced that Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert have 3 duets for the CBS’s Fire Country TV show this Friday 2 of them come out. The 3rd one is on the finale and it’s called Something In The Water…..
I guess I am not shocked about Miranda and Dierks, but to have a song with the same title as one of Carrie's biggest songs, I know artists do it all the time but it just seems wrong (couldn't think of a better word).

Farawayhills

The ACMs haven't surfaced over here (and neither has the Fire Country series), so I don't know whether I'll get to see either. I really came on to celebrate Hailey Whitters win (which I mentioned in the Women in Country Music thread), but I do really think it's scandalous that Carrie wasn't nominated in the Female category. The Board, of course, don't decide the nominations, and the Academy have been kinder to Carrie in the past (more so than the CMA), but even so - even in a relatively quiet year - it's very odd that she should not be placed as one of the current five leading ladies in the genre!

On the question of the new song, though, I don't think the use of that title can really be seen as wrong. The difficulty (or the advantage, from the songwriting perspective) is that it is a well-known proverbial phrase, which has many different connotations. A search on All Music throws up more than a thousand songs which use that phrase! Fans, of course, may immediately associate it with Carrie's song - but before that came out, as an old Country Rock fan, I would probably have associated that title with the Little Feat song, about a girl changed from a little Dixie chicken to a Mississippi queen, lol.

I would guess that the new song is quite different from either of those. Billboard describe it as "questioning and haunting". (Dierks sings lead on it, with Miranda only supplying harmonies, if that's any consolation :))

Last edited:

Momin

Many years ago when I used to check cmt.com very regularly, I remember there being news of Miranda working on a song called Something in the Water for a movie of the same name, and I think she was going to do more songs on that soundtrack - this is probably during the CR or PO era, so way before GH. That movie never got made and probably that song never came out either. I was wondering if it might be that song revived again, but who knows.

EDIT: Wow my memory is probably the worst haha because I looked it up and this is news from 2017, so it's after Carrie's GH.

PRGuy79

I fear that Carrie's complete absence from a major country awards show indicates that this era is truly coming to an end. They may be allowing HMH to either hold or slowly climb until its done and then move on. I just can't imagine why the label would want to pass on an opportunity for promotion when the album has struggled - even if the streaming platform for the show limits its reach. HMH is now Carrie's #8 streamed song on Spotify, in danger of dropping out of the Top 10 - and it is the only one from D & R in the Top 10. OOTT is the #2 most streamed right now, showing the label's emphasis is for a song not on the current album. I just don't understand what is happening. What is the strategy?

lizcarlo

Many years ago when I used to check cmt.com very regularly, I remember there being news of Miranda working on a song called Something in the Water for a movie of the same name, and I think she was going to do more songs on that soundtrack - this is probably during the CR or PO era, so way before GH. That movie never got made and probably that song never came out either. I was wondering if it might be that song revived again, but who knows.

EDIT: Wow my memory is probably the worst haha because I looked it up and this is news from 2017, so it's after Carrie's GH.

I wish this was not scrapped. Sounds like the kind of movie I would like. To have her write song for it would be awesome. I could see Miranda writing awesome soundtracks.

I didn't watch because I forget about it. To be honest I only watch these award shows for Miranda and Carrie. I am annoyed Miranda Lambert Carousel performance isn't up yet because it's one of my favorite songs. I have listened to it a lot.

I went to ACM live and saw Save Me. I was intrigued by title and clicked. The song itself seems like pretty good song when looked up lyrics but that guy is terrible singer, I clicked it off and didn't finish. I could not understand anything he said, and he sounded terrible. For his fans sake hope his voice is better than I heard. He needs get someone to teach him to sing. This is why I can't stand these award shows. Some of these men are just so terrible at performing its bad or just boring. I don't expect everyone to be like Carrie where she does performances that's more entertainment like Drinking Alone at CMA, Church bells at ACM for examples. I also really like performance where someone has beautiful emotional voice like Carrie and Miranda. That guy reminded me why I don't like any award shows.

I'm sure Carrie felt like she missed nothing. Was she at opry instead of at this award show? I would rather be anywhere else as well. She should fell no obligation to these award shows anymore and only care about promoting her music. Anyway, hope someone upload Miranda singing Carousel already.

Last edited:

JennyD

The ACMs haven't surfaced over here (and neither has the Fire Country series), so I don't know whether I'll get to see either. I really came on to celebrate Hailey Whitters win (which I mentioned in the Women in Country Music thread), but I do really think it's scandalous that Carrie wasn't nominated in the Female category. The Board, of course, don't decide the nominations, and the Academy have been kinder to Carrie in the past (more so than the CMA), but even so - even in a relatively quiet year - it's very odd that she should not be placed as one of the current five leading ladies in the genre!

On the question of the new song, though, I don't think the use of that title can really be seen as wrong. The difficulty (or the advantage, from the songwriting perspective) is that it is a well-known proverbial phrase, which has many different connotations. A search on All Music throws up more than a thousand songs which use that phrase! Fans, of course, may immediately associate it with Carrie's song - but before that came out, as an old Country Rock fan, I would probably have associated that title with the Little Feat song, about a girl changed from a little Dixie chicken to a Mississippi queen, lol.

I would guess that the new song is quite different from either of those. Billboard describe it as "questioning and haunting". (Dierks sings lead on it, with Miranda only supplying harmonies, if that's any consolation :))
My husband and I have been watching Fire Country since it came out last Oct. Didn’t know Dierks and Miranda had written songs for it until we saw it last Friday. Miranda sings a song near the end of the episode called “Still Burning” which honestly was very beautiful in a haunting sort of way. Credits said written by ML and Jon Randall. Dierks took the lead in the opening song.