Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd single

What will be single #3?

• Renegade Runaway

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Dirty Laundry

Votes: 58 59.8%
  • Church Bells

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Choctaw County Affair

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Like I'll Never Love You Again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chaser

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Relapse

• Mexico

• Clock Don't Stop

• TGYTIA/WINKIAW

• Total voters

ethelu

I don't see any hate of RR either, IMO there are just several songs on Storyteller that are better songs and as you posted RR is just like other songs that have been released as singles in the past so CB, CCA & DL would all be better single choices in an era where she has shown she is headed in a different direction from what she has done in the past.

I don't hate RR, but not a big fan of it. Besides that the chorus sounds like just bunch of words to me, when she sings the words "renegade runaway", it sounds like the lyrics are strained in the way they are sung. Not that Carrie is straining to sing them, she has no problem with it at all. I just don't like the way it sounds. Not sure anyone will get what I mean by "strained".

JB172

Really what they should have done is Renegade runaway instead of Smokebreak... RR, HB, CB, DL, CCA... Now something is going to have to get the shaft. But if Renegade Runaway is the next single I won't be too dissapointed.. It has so much energy live and would be a good contrast after heartbeat..
If RR would have been the lead single, her and her people would have been raked over the coals for saying that the new music was a different sound from what she has done in the past when RR sounds like multiple singles that she has released in the past.

adam1995

If RR would have been the lead single, her and her people would have been raked over the coals for saying that the new music was a different sound from what she has done in the past when RR sounds like multiple singles that she has released in the past.

It's not different lyrically, but musically they could have sold it as different. I think RR would have been good opening, but at this point I'd rather the heavy hitters (DL/CB/CCA), get the chance to shine.

twaintrain

I really am a fan of SB and HB but it is so puzzling to me why they were the first two singles. It's pretty obvious that there are 3 heavy hitters on Storyteller (DL, CB, CCA). Why not pick one of them as the first single? They want to show she's grown and show a new style - Hello - go with DL! If that had been the first single, then I'd be okay with HB as the second, followed by CCA and then CB.

I hope they are preparing for a long run of singles.

JB172

It's not different lyrically, but musically they could have sold it as different. I think RR would have been good opening, but at this point I'd rather the heavy hitters (DL/CB/CCA), get the chance to shine.
I have to disagree that they would have been able to sell RR as being different when there have been singles off of every album she has put out that fall along the lines that RR does, they could have used CB or DL as the lead single to display the new sound instead of SB but CCA would have been way to big of a risk to roll out as the first single.

maddkat

Staff member
I don't hate RR, but not a big fan of it. Besides that the chorus sounds like just bunch of words to me, when she sings the words "renegade runaway", it sounds like the lyrics are strained in the way they are sung. Not that Carrie is straining to sing them, she has no problem with it at all. I just don't like the way it sounds. Not sure anyone will get what I mean by "strained".
I get that.The chorus is rushed and garbled a bit, sounding like Carrie is trying to sing over the music.To me the vocal always seems out of step with the music.

adam1995

I have to disagree that they would have been able to sell RR as being different when there have been singles off of every album she has put out that fall along the lines that RR does, they could have used CB or DL as the lead single to display the new sound instead of SB but CCA would have been way to big of a risk to roll out as the first single.

See, I see the production as totally different than what she has done before. I agree lyrically it falls in line, but they could have sold at least me on it being a new sound.

Wildflower

As much as I want Church Bells to be the next single because it's my favorite track, I have a feeling that it will be Dirty Laundry. I could actually see CB as the fourth single being released in the summer. CB reminds me so much of Martina McBride's Independence Day, which is one of my all-time favorite country songs, which takes place of the fourth of July. I could see CB being released in July the same way BA was. I think it would work well in the summer.

carriefan14

I predict fan favorite Dirty Laundry. It is #9 on her iTunes best-sellers right now and it has not even been a single yet

lizcarlo

I predict fan favorite Dirty Laundry. It is #9 on her iTunes best-sellers right now and it has not even been a single yet

That's so awesome. Considering its number 9 imagine how it will do when she releases it as single.

Last edited:

jaks_weyn

I agree... When i first heard RR, I thought she was struggling with that part... But I know she's done higher notes than that without difficulty... Not sure if she does that on purpose (Melissa would be able to tell) especially considering that she sings the bridge of GG with ease... I like RR though especially the runaway runaway part... very catchy!

ethelu

I agree... When i first heard RR, I thought she was struggling with that part... But I know she's done higher notes than that without difficulty... Not sure if she does that on purpose (Melissa would be able to tell) especially considering that she sings the bridge of GG with ease... I like RR though especially the runaway runaway part... very catchy!

Luke Bryan does that strained sound in some of his songs. Don't like it. It's not that he's struggling to sing it, he's choosing to sing it that way. On his songs I used to think it was because there weren't enough lyrics to go with that part of the music, so he was trying to stretch them out.

lolita55

I hope it is either CCA or DL, DL is just so sassy, and CCA is amazing, it is my favorite song on the CD and I think it has a alot of appeal.

My friend and I were talking about CCA the other day, and she thinks it has the most appeal across the board. She thinks a lot of people that are true R&B fans and Jazz fans would appreciate the song, which would generate a lot of buzz.

jaks_weyn

I don't use itunes much, what does that mean?

I think it's top-selling iTunes songs... So looks like DL is third selling song from ST right now...
If we are exclude HB and SmB which were singles, DL is the strongest seller now.. I'd think that is because of the tour where DL is exposed to a lot of people which includes others that are probably not Carrie fans...
WINKIAW, LINLYA and TGYTIA were the top sellers before the tour...

Top Songs

teesharky

I haven't read a single person on here say they hate RR. It's just that it's like other songs she's done in the past.This era so far has been about new directions for Carrie.RR is not that. DL/CCA are and to an extent CB.

Ok I understand that. RR is not a new sound for Carrie-- agree.

I really think DL has to be next as a good cheating song is perfect for the spring. Then she could release CCA this summer and CB in the Fall. CB seems like a Fall song to me. I adore it and want it to be a single- but not yet.

Farawayhills

See, I see the production as totally different than what she has done before. I agree lyrically it falls in line, but they could have sold at least me on it being a new sound.

Before the release, Carrie spoke a couple of times about the album having more of a "twang rock" feel (or "rock twang", I forget exactly how she put it). There's quite a bit of twang in RR - you can hear it plainly in the introduction, and, for example, around 1.30. The choruses have a particularly up-tempo rock feel, and this is also varied with a significant amount of twang. What I think Carrie is trying to do with her vocal is give it more of a raw edge, with a "breathy", rushed effect, to avoid giving it too much of a "belted" vocal sound, which would tend to suggest a more Pop-influenced feel, which would not be consistent with the twang in the music. So, in my opinion, rather than jarring with the music, I think the "strained" effect is actually complementing the music.

Whether people like it, or would prefer a more conventional vocal, is obviously a matter of personal taste - but I agree with Adam that this is one of Carrie's experiments on the album with a different sound. I do like it - and I also think that Carrie will benefit from showing variations in her singing style - this being one of them (though not the only one).

I do agree that the lyrics could be considered a bit formulaic - the song does have something of the feel of a "made for the hit market" number. But I think Carrie and Jay are trying to do something different with the overall sound. The combination of the two aspects make me feel this is pretty likely to be released as a single at some point (and I've felt that since first hearing the album)