Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Firefighters Shot, 2 Killed At Webster, New York Fire Scene; Shooter Dead

clh_hilary

After teachers, all firefighters should be armed as well! Well actually, the government needs to educate citizens to bring their firearms in case of a fire! Once everyone in America is armed then hopefully US' gun murder rate will drop to the level of Switzerland, which has the highest gun murder rate in Europe and requires all citizens by law to bear arm.

4 Firefighters Shot, 2 Killed At Webster, New York Fire Scene; Shooter Dead (UPDATE)

WEBSTER, N.Y. -- Authorities say four firefighters were shot, two of them killed while responding to a house fire in western New York.
Officials in the town of Webster tell local media outlets that someone shot at firefighters around 6 a.m. Monday when they arrived at the scene of the blaze just east of Rochester.
The shooter has been identified as William Spengler, 62, a convicted killer.
The dead are Lt. Mike Chiapperini, 43, a volunteer firefighter and Webster Police Department’s public information officer, and firefighter Tomasz Kaczowka. Theodore Scardino and Joseph Hofstetter were also shot and are recovering in guarded condition at Strong Memorial Hospital.
Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering told reporters that Spengler was found dead outside the home where the shootings occurred, killed by a self-inflicted gunshot. Pickering said Spengler opened fire at the firefighters when they pulled up to a house in the 100 block of Lake Road. One firefighter was able to flee the scene, while the other three were "pinned down at the location." A SWAT team responded, rescued the firefighter who was alive and then engaged the suspect.
Pickering spoke through tears as he described the violent scene, which appeared to be set up on purpose.
"It does appear that [the fire scene] was a trap that was set," Pickering said in a press conference.
Police secured the area by 10 a.m. and firefighters started combating the blaze, whichspread to four houses, according to the Democrat and Chronicle. Four houses were completely destroyed and four others were damaged, but the fire is under control, Pickering said.
An off-duty Greece police officer driving nearby the was also injured by shrapnel. He was taken to the hospital.
SWAT teams reportedly evacuated 33 nearby residents and took them by armored vehicle out of the neighborhood.
A call between an injured fireman and a dispatcher made this morning was released.It can be heard here.
From the Associated Press earlier:
Webster, a middle-class, lakeside suburb, now is the scene of violence linked to house fires for two Decembers in a row.Last Dec. 7, authorities say, a 15-year-old boy doused his home with gasoline and set it ablaze, killing his father and two brothers, 16 and 12. His mother and 13-year-old sister escaped with injuries. He is being prosecuted as an adult.

bearball49

I hate to say this but I do think we should outlaw large magazines and automatic weapons, BUT not guns. Hunting deer is not only sport but it feeds a lot of hungry famiies. Without the quota of deer that my husband shot every year, my family would not have always had enough to eat. My niece has severe health issues and her husband works two meager jobs to support their 4 children. They live in an extremely modest two bedroom home in rural western NY. If not for the meat the husband and oldest boy...age 18 manage to kill every year their family would also go hungry. Because it is a part of their upbringing, the children are taught at a young age proper gun control as well as taking the mandatory hunter safety course. There can be a compromise with gun control, but nutcases will always find a way to kill. One of the most famous serial kilers of all time did not use a gun...Jack the Ripper. Actually, most serial killers like to be upclise and personal with victims prefer strangulation or a knife. A close friend's teen daughter was murdered by her estranged boyfriend and guess what it was a stabbing. In times of unrest, I want to be able to protect my family. Several members of my family have pistol permits. Owning a gun carries the responsibility of using it reposibly and storing it properly. Being that when the constotution was put into effect, we were using single shot muzzleloaded rifles and shotguns, I do not think the consttution envisioned private individuals being better armed than our police or military. Common sense can go a long way.

clh_hilary

I don't think anyone is proposing an immediate outright ban, that would not be possible.

Gun control could mean a lot of things. Trainings, tests to pass, a tougher background check, less-destructive weapons, number of weapons, gun-free zones & non gun-free zones, stricter regulation for gun owners, more (detailed) registration procedures, tax, etc. or any of the combination.