Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

59 killed at country festival in Las Vegas

Farawayhills

I sympathize with Jason Aldean and his musicians, who were actually on stage performing when the horrific events began to unfold.

My on-line friend JoJo posted a tweet that I think sums up how it might strike artists as the realization of what is happening reaches them:

Jojo‏ @NYMirandaJunkE Oct 2
"I can't imagine how an Artist, who performs a job to make people smile, feels knowing the eyes they met in the crowd died. In that moment."

There's also an interesting article from the perspective of the Josh Abbott Band, who had finished their set, on the same stage, earlier that day:
Josh Abbott Band Member Rethinks Second Amendment Post Vegas - Rolling Stone

rcramer

It is all just so horrible, ugly and senseless...... Like Reba's song, this world needs to go back to God.......

carriefan14

^ I was thinking of a Reba song too. What can you say in a moment like that?

There's nothing we can say. I wish i could go back in time and stop all the horrible things that happen. Nobody should have to die like that. I'm extremely, extremely torn up about this.

Do we know if he had any motive at all? Or was this just a senseless, oh my life sucks so i'm going to take everybody out before i off myself? I cant imagine getting to a point where you think it's okay to hurt people's fathers, mothers, uncles, brothers...just sick.

It just seems like there's more and more inconsiderate people walking around. Just because you're life sucks doesnt mean you pull a total stranger into your mess! I hate it!

pklongbeach

As he intended to escape it seems very likely that he is this very specific demographic of white men who want to feel disenfranchised and frustrated by a world that is no longer providing them everything they feel entitled to. This will not be able to be twisted into a "crazy mentally ill lone wolf". He spent a year and a lot of intelligence and logic to do this. A court of law would never find this person crazy. If Americans keep allowing this country to sell men like him huge amounts of "toys of mass destruction" what do you expect to happen? You think he bought all that to shoot deer. He is not the fool here. America should expect this!! If you don't then the blame is not his. America knew someone was going to do this again, and did nothing.
Its going to happen again. I presume America intends to do nothing till it does again.

mofan

As he intended to escape it seems very likely that he is this very specific demographic of white men who want to feel disenfranchised and frustrated by a world that is no longer providing them everything they feel entitled to. This will not be able to be twisted into a "crazy mentally ill lone wolf". He spent a year and a lot of intelligence and logic to do this. A court of law would never find this person crazy. If Americans keep allowing this country to sell men like him huge amounts of "toys of mass destruction" what do you expect to happen? You think he bought all that to shoot deer. He is not the fool here. America should expect this!! If you don't then the blame is not his. America knew someone was going to do this again, and did nothing.
Its going to happen again. I presume America intends to do nothing till it does again.
It's a mental problem not a gun problem.
91276f207f6cf9d0034020b0fc619ebe.jpg
379e1f6329a2436a8ba0d9f11d3687f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pklongbeach

I have no idea what that data is supposed to mean to me. The man was not crazy! Do you really just want to do nothing about this? Do you think it makes sense that people should have these weapons of mass destruction? What do you want?

lolita55

But from everything that I have read, he was rich. Yes he gambled but there is no evidence that he was broke at all. In fact he wired his girlfriend 100k. So he should not have felt disenfranchised at all.

I hope the FBI is able to pin down a motive soon.

Farawayhills

A reporter for the BBC interviewed a lawful weapons salesman, I think in Nevada. He demonstrated the procedure for selling a firearm, which was to run the person's details through an FBI database. It came up clean for the reporter (as it would have for the massacre suspect, who had never been a person of interest in any investigation). The salesman asked a few questions about the purpose for him wanting a weapon, and whether he'd used one before. On the reporter answering no, but he wanted one for self defence, he recommended a small hand gun. There were also a wide variety of other weapons displayed in the store, including heavy military grade multiple fire guns. The reporter asked why would any civilian need such a weapon. I can't quote the salesman's exact words - but this is, I believe, a close summary:
---because the government have those weapons
---if they have them, and we don't, they'd be able to overthrow us
---I hope it never comes to that, but if it does, we have to be able to defend our rights
---they are trying to demonize gun stores and gun owners to make that impossible.

I can't say how widespread that view might be, but there is powerful historic and symbolic imagery around the ideological concept of an armed citizenry as a check on government. It probably explains why some members of the National Rifle Association go way beyond defending sporting rifles, and put pressure on elected representatives to oppose any significant extension of restrictions. As election and nomination studies show that endorsement, or hostility, from the NRA can be very effective in swinging votes in marginal seats, this has contributed to the reluctance of Congress to take firm action on this issue.

pklongbeach

Exactly, on both posts. He was "rich" successful. And yes, the NRA sells a neurotic idea of a Government that is set on enslaving its mindless masses.

So the idea that gun safety has to be addressed and implemented is clear on both points. People have access to weapons of mass destruction and they are using them in our own families.
They call us "soft targets". If that is ok with you than do nothing........

Christ has given many opportunities to fix what is wrong and you ignore his invitation again and again and again....... Instead you say "I will pray.." He already gives peace to the dead. He Wants You To Rise Up And Stop It!

mofan

I have no idea what that data is supposed to mean to me. The man was not crazy! Do you really just want to do nothing about this? Do you think it makes sense that people should have these weapons of mass destruction? What do you want?
Alcohol and Cars kill more people a year than guns do. If you take away from law abiding citizens then you are at the mercy of the govt. Think about Nazis and how they Rounded people up.
A gun never kills anyone by itself. It takes a crazy insane person to do such a thing. For as many people are In the country with guns it really doesn't happen as often as you think. I for one do not want the govt in charge of anything.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Claire2004

Eric Church at the Grand Ole Opry talking about the festival and the victims, and performing a song he wrote about the tragedy:

rcramer

^^^ Thank You.... All I can say is WOW...

I never really followed much of Eric, but that right there just made me a fan....

HuiZ

Yes, guns don't kill by itself. But not every killer is going to have a history of mental illness before they snap.

Life happens, things happen. Emotions can potentially run havoc on ANYONE's mind when sh*t happens in their lives. A decent, quiet man might suddenly snap when he walks in on his wife in bed with another man. A teenager might suddenly decide he had enough of being teased and bullied and decides on something violent. A father might feel angry at the court for setting free his daughter's rapist. None of these people are going to have any "mental health history" for the authority to check on.
When someone "crosses that rational line" in their mind, it is extremely dangerous to have any preventable weapon lying around too conveniently for them. Especially one that is primarily DESIGNED to kill another human being.

It seriously boggles my mind (and many in the rest of the world) how so many Americans have such huge distrust of your government that you're even willing to accept the downside of everyone owning a gun and having no universal healthcare.

Serious question: Isn't the 2nd Amendment set a long time ago and is rather outdated by now? I mean, people complain about rigid Christians holding on to old teachings in the Bible.... what's the difference with people holding on to old gun rules?

pklongbeach

I am all for Gun Safety and the 2nd Amendment. But when people start talking about the government is going to take us all over now you are dealing with people who you can not reason with. And these are very specific reasons that they should not be allowed to have weapons of mass destruction.

Do you want every nation to have nuclear weapons? Do you believe the U.S has the right to keep people from having them? then you are either a safety proponent or a hypocrite!

Smokyiiis

Saw that video of Eric Church yesterday evening when I got home from work. Teared this gal up good!

rcramer

^^ same here...... It just proves that as much as we die hard fans love our country artists, they love us just as much..