Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9/11 10th Anniversary

AdrianAustraliaCarrie

Thoughts, memories & prayers go out to the victims, families & emergency services involved in 9/11 ten years ago, it sure doesn't seem that long - I remember it clearly waking up that Wednesday morning (here in Australia) & witnessing history with my parents & sister! Truly devastating but the western humanity has come together & is over half way rebuilding ground zero ten years on.

I based my year 12 visual arts major artwork on this event, my model of the new world trade centre - with remembrance, honor & standing tall! 'Where were you when the world stopped turning'? on that September day. (Alan Jackson).

-Adrian Cooney

epicamends

Thinking of all those affected by 9/11, especially the victims, family members, firefighters, etc. No other day in my life stands out like 9/11/01 does. I will never forget.

gocountrymusic

I was in fifth grade. The teachers didn't tell us anything but brought us all into the auditorium. There we waited. Later I found out from my mom who worked on the board of Ed. That the reason we were all put into the auditorium in the first place was to make sure each child had a ride home by some relative so no one was left out. Most of our parents worked in the city, and quite a few worked in the twin towers themselves. My mom explained to me the whole situation when I got home from school, but it didn't really hit me until the next school day when we had two students absent from class. There parents were reported missing.

I will never forget 9/11, although I was very young at the time, I feel that I learned what "loss" means. My heart goes out to all families of the people that worked there and of the families of the heroes who dedicated their lives to saving them.

Suellen

I worked three blocks away from the WTC and will never forget that day. Today my prayers are with the victims, family members, police officers, and firefighters

Carrieflattsfan

It doesn't seem possible our world changed forever ten years ago today.
I was in fifth grade, and I remember my Mom coming to pick us up from school. We watched TV when we got home, and I remember, even then, knowing that something horrific had happened.

I thank God there are people out there willing to fight for our freedom. I can't imagine what their loved ones go through everyday, wondering if today is the last day they'll hear from their husband, wife, son, or daughter.

Even though there are all kinds of evil in the world, I still look back and remember the way our country came together after 9/11. I will look back on that day with horror, but I will always look back with pride, knowing Americans came together to heal each other.

God bless America, it is our duty as American's to always remember, never forget.

~Karly~

buckeyecarriefan

I can't believe it's been 10 years already, it really does seem like it was only yesterday.

One thing I'll always remember is how everyone came together, and not just Americans. The support and love we got from other countries, and in particular(because it sticks out most in my mind and they were so close and able to help the most) from Canada was amazing. It was like, if only for a couple of months, all of our differences didn't matter. There was a tragedy, and it affected the entire world. And really it did. It wasn't just Americans killed in the attacks, the dead came from all over the world.

This was probably the first event that happened in my life that everyone will stop and remember exactly what they were doing when it happened. Hopefully it's also one of the last. I'd really rather, selfishly, just forget it ever happened and move on with life. But that would be an injustice to everyone who died, not to mention impossible with the images seared into our minds forever.

cassie2

Staff member
We will always remember.... today I took part in a service in remembrance of all the Hero's Our Country lost that incredibly sad day.

Here is Alan Jackson's touching song that he penned after 9/11

This moving performance by Paul Simon this morning brought tears to my eyes:

steven77571

my 9-11 story

Where was I when the world stopped turning? Fourteen years old and scared to death in computer class. I had heard someone say something about a plane hitting one of the World Trade Center as history class ended, and I thought, "That doesn't sound good at all." Then, I went to my computer class and learned that another plane had crashed into the other tower, and the whole room was silent. We had TVs, but they weren't connected to the Dallas TV stations. A few minutes later, the principal, fighting back tears, came in on the PA system and told us to pause for a moment of silence for the victims in New York. I sat my head down on my computer desk, and quietly said, "God, please don't let this be the start of WWIII." My friend Deana asked me if I was crying, and I said, "No, but I hope Texas doesn't get hit." She said that everything was going to be okay, but she understood my concern. Later on that afternoon, I headed home and turned on CNN and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Anger, sadness and just total shock filled my heart as I saw the towers falling, the Pentagon burning and the field in PA. I told my mom, "What kind of heartless fool would hijack an airplane and slam it into the side of a 110 story skyscraper?! Just pathetic!" That night, I found more comfort when President Bush said, "Terrorism in our country will NOT stand. We will bring those who did this to justice, and we will not falter, we will not tire and we will not fail." Like or dislike him, George W Bush's speech that night remains in my head ten years later. The fight against terror may not end, but I feel we are safer now then we were a decade ago. The new memorial at what was once known as Ground Zero is spectacular, and will be a testament to the fact that strength and courage of our people will never die.

Last edited:

buckeyecarriefan

As for where I was when it happened, I was a month shy of 14 and was a young naive 8th grader who thought I was living the good life. Didn't have a care in the world. I was watching Sportscenter and getting ready to go catch the bus for school, because we had a 2 hour delay that day. I had no clue what was going on. I remember getting to school and overhearing people talk about it. I honestly thought they were just talking about a plane crash. My first question? "Oh my God, did anybody die?" Kind of stupid looking back, but hey like I said, I was young and carefree. This was America, no one would attack us, right?

Then I got inside and realized just how bad it was. 1st and 2nd period we tried to go on with our day, but it was obvious by 3rd period that no one, the students, the teachers, I mean no one, was actually interested in anything we were trying to do. We spent the rest of the day watching the TV in shock.

I also remember I was supposed to walk to my cousin's house that day because my mom was working, but when school got out she was there to pick me up. Then young stupid me has to go ask another stupid question. "Did you see what happened in New York?" "Uh yeah, everyone has."

By later that night my thoughts turned to where my dad was. He's a truck driver, and his job at the time had him going to New Jersey quite a bit, and he'd taken quite a few trips to the Altoona, PA area in the past(not far from where the plane went down). I figured he was probably alright since he would have never been in any of the buildings, but where was he? Did he see any of it? He finally called me a couple of days later, and it turns out he was in Newark, NJ. Right across the river. He said he was just about to leave the area, and in his mirror all he saw was smoke. As bad as it was watching it all happen on TV, I can't imagine actually being in the area and seeing it happen.

Cathie Wynkoop

Watching the footage yesterday of the 9/11 attacks brought tears to my eyes once again! I am just sad because not only were innocent lives lost in the attacks, but America lost some of it's innocence too. Gone are the days of feeling safe in this country, and to me, that in itself is a tragedy!!

RIP to all who lost their lives on 9-11-2001. May God hold you all in the palm of His hand!