Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A First Listen To Carrie Underwood’s ‘Cry Pretty’

maddkat

Staff member
https://musicrow.com/2018/08/bobby-...first-listen-to-carrie-underwoods-cry-pretty/

When a superstar beckons, we answer.

“We,” in this case, was the throng that gathered on Monday evening (Aug. 20) to listen as Carrie Underwood’s forthcoming Cry Pretty album echoed in the polished, stone-and-cement interior of the Parthenon. Expectations were high, since this was her debut effort for her new label, Capitol Nashville.

John Tumminello, the vice president of the Pathenon conservancy, welcomed “we” with a history of the Nashville landmark and expressed how historic it was that the venue was hosting “new music from the incomparable Carrie Underwood.”

“To know Carrie Underwood is to respect her,” said UMG Nashville president Cindy Mabe. She added that the star is a “strong and brave and bold” role model for girls who is “one of the greatest voices we have ever known. This sets the basis for the rest of her career – Carrie’s most personal album yet.”

The diva took the stage with tears flowing. “The waterworks have already started,” she stammered. “She didn’t say anything about ‘poise,’” she added, referring to Cindy’s intro.

“Today is a big day. It’s a very emotional and nerve-wracking day. This journey has been one of chances taken, and I’m very proud of those steps. I hope what you’re hearing, you love, because it’s part of my heart,” she continued, now weeping openly. “Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Carrie sat at stage right. Her baby bump was showing in her sequined gold-and-black cocktail frock. Husband and expectant father Mike Fisher sat quietly beside her throughout the night.

Power ballads “Cry Pretty,” “Ghosts on the Stereo,” “Low” and “Backsliding” led up to the rocking “Southbound.” This, in turn, paved the way for the hooky, mid-tempo heartbreaker “That Song That We Used to Make Love To.”

“As you can hear, we covered a lot of ground,” said Underwood, at this halfway point in the listening session. “My partner in crime throughout this whole thing has been [co-writer and co-producer] David Garcia.” This is Underwood’s first venture as a co-producer.

“You guys like it so far?” asked David. “We ‘caught a vibe,’ I guess you could say….It was one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had making music. We need to say a big thank-you to all the musicians….and all the songwriters.”

Of the latter, Allen Shamblin, Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey, Brett James, Josh Miller, Marc Beeson and Chris DeStefano were in the house. Carrie and David co-wrote six of the tunes with a number of them. Project engineer Joe Baldridge was also beaming in the crowd.

The bluesy “Drinking Alone,” the ballad weeper “The Bullet,” the quiet portrait of destruction “Spinning Bottles,” the driving and stormy “Love Wins,” a reggae-pop effort “End Up With You” and a home-and-hearth spiritual “Kingdom” were previewed next. The collection will also include a bonus track of her NFL anthem collaboration with Ludacris, “The Champion.”

“Thank you so much for coming and listening to what we’ve been doing for the past year,” said Carrie. “It means a lot to me.”

During the cocktail hour, we snacked on “East Nashville sliders,” which seemed to be mini burgers with pimento cheese. The wait staff also circulated with fried-avocado tacos and cilantro-tomato salsa on toast points. A tower of plates held a plethora of mini desserts.

“We” mutually schmoozed R.J. Curtis, B.J. Hill, Rod Essig, Sherod Robertson, Rondal Richardson, Fletcher Foster, Jon Freeman, Jody Williams, Joanna Carter, Jessica Nicholson, Ashley Eicher, Becca Walls, Chuck Aly, Deborah Evans Price, Eric T. Parker, Leslie Fram, George Flanigen, Hunter Kelly, Donna Hughes, host-with-the-most Mike Dungan, Nick DiFruscia, Tiffany Dunn, Bobby Young, Terry Wakefield, Mary Lauren Teague, Lisa Konicki, Lon Helton, Phyllis Stark, Steve Buchanan and Sally Williams.

Like I said, “we” all answered the call. That included the comely trio Runaway June, who will be an opening act on Carrie’s “Cry Pretty” tour.

We perched on Lucite banquet chairs. Pink-and-gold balloon garland encircled the hall’s classical Ionic columns. Yards of gold and black drapes flanked the walkways. Fuchsia-toned up lights cast shadows. The cocktail tables wore crimson skirts.

Looming above it all was the Parthenon’s massive, 42-foot, colossus-statue of a Greek goddess. She is embellished with – no foolin’ – 24-karat gold-leaf gilded helmet, sandals, shield, spear, bracelets, necklace and floor-length tunic

Shanna Strassberg had the guest quote of the night: “There’s only one woman who can upstage Carrie Underwood, and that’s Athena.”

Cry Pretty drops on September 14.

adam1995

The two most interesting descriptions are driving and stormy for "Love Wins" (seems different than what we've heard before, not sure what he means by stormy?), and raggae-pop for "End Up With you" (this worries me, lol).

abbeyjones18

The two most interesting descriptions are driving and stormy for "Love Wins" (seems different than what we've heard before, not sure what he means by stormy?), and raggae-pop for "End Up With you" (this worries me, lol).

Yeah, the description of End Up With You worries me, too.

txacar

Yeah, the description of End Up With You worries me, too.

Billy said on his Periscope session today that, after one listen, EUWY is his least favorite on the album. He also said it doesn't stand out because it is lost between two powerful songs, Love Wins and Kingdom.

Claire2004

Me too lol.
I’m also worried about his description of Southbound. He said it’s like a Luke Bryan song.

Josh

Are you guys serious! If EUWY is a reggae-country sound, it could be amazing and very relaxing even. This might sound bad, but if it's along the lines of a song Stars Are Blind production wise, I wouldn't mind at all.

Kizmet311

So, EUWY is going to be the love song version of OWT or NETY, lol? I hate to form an impression of a song before I've even heard it, but this may be a skipper for me, lol. I can't say that I love Carrie's reggae inspired songs. It sounds like there may not be a straight up love song on the album, then. There are definitely relationship songs, but not necessarily happy love songs since most are about the ending of a relationship. I guess I just prefer ballads as love songs for the most part.

And oh dear if Southbound sounds like a Luke Bryan/bro-country song. I'll reserve judgment until I hear it, because of course Carrie is going to have a "fun" song on the album, so this just may be that one, along with EUWY, possibly. I mean, I still love UI and a lot of people don't anymore, so different strokes for different folks! It does say Southbound is "rocking" and I love rock Carrie, so I'll probably like it.

It seems like these two songs may be the upbeat part of the album, since it appears that really, the rest of it is pretty heavy, with maybe LW and Kingdom being the inspirational/uplifting songs.