Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2012

Grace_Of_God

The time has come everyone! new thread for the new crop of movies. Im super behind in the award show movies but that should be fixed by this weekend because I just finished my job yesterday. Which means Im going to sit my butt down and just watch movies till I cant keep my eyes open anymore

What do you think has a good chance? (Ive seen alot of movies this year but these are ones I think have chances at award shows)

So far Ive seen-

-Midnight in Paris
-The Help
-Harry Potter 7 pt 2
-Tree of Life
-Drive
-Cars 2
-50/50
-Moneyball
-The Ides of March
-J.Edgar
-Hugo
-The Adventures of Tintin
-War Horse

Last edited:

AIgrl06

Oh yeah, new thread! Wooh hooh.

Midnight in Paris and The Help are definitely the two movies I've seen that have the best shot at a Best Picture nomination. Midnight will also definitely get a writing nod. I also haven't completely thrown out Harry Potter and the possibility of it getting a Best Picture nod. There are a few movies that I think should get awards consideration (Like Crazy, Drive, 50/50...) but I doubt that they will. Otherwise... yeah, I guess I'm a little behind on awards contenders too, lol.

The next five I'm hoping to see:
Melancholia
Martha Marcy May Marlene
The Tree of Life
The Ides of March

Most anticipated movies yet to be released:
Shame
A Dangerous Method
The Artist
The Descendants

Grace_Of_God

^ I cant wait to see Tree of Life or Ides of March! I STILL havent seen freaking 50/50 and im the one that pimped it so much hahaha. How could I forget about Harry Potter?! I think itll get a nod with it being the last one

What do you think of that movie "Anonymous" about Shakespeare that opens this weekend? Also, what about J.Edgar?

teesharky

I am annoyed that the usual snotty "experts" are picking all these obscure movies to be nominated again, with the only one I know being Money Ball. lol

As usual, they are counting out Harry Potter completely, giving it 100-1 odds to win. I really hate these "experts" and the voters sometimes. If Harry Potter is not even nominated despite getting RAVE critical reviews, then they are serious elitist snobs, and not worthy of my time or respect. lol

sorry- but I feel strongly about this. I saw MoneyBall and it was great-- but nothing compared to Harry Potter. And some of the other movies on the list look like obscure artsy fartsy crud that we might not even enjoy, as usual. lol

teesharky

Oh yeah, new thread! Wooh hooh.

Midnight in Paris and The Help are definitely the two movies I've seen that have the best shot at a Best Picture nomination. Midnight will also definitely get a writing nod. I also haven't completely thrown out Harry Potter and the possibility of it getting a Best Picture nod. There are a few movies that I think should get awards consideration (Like Crazy, Drive, 50/50...) but I doubt that they will. Otherwise... yeah, I guess I'm a little behind on awards contenders too, lol.

The next five I'm hoping to see:
Melancholia
Martha Marcy May Marlene
The Tree of Life
The Ides of March

Most anticipated movies yet to be released:
Shame
A Dangerous Method
The Artist
The Descendants

I saw Melancholia this weekend on pay perview. It was 9.99 to buy it before it hits theaters, but we had a bunch of people over so it was worth the cost. It was really really good. It starts out freaky and made me almost confused enough to leave the room and give up on it, but then it gets better and is a normal regular story line.

The directing was great, and Kirsten Dunst was her best yet. She is great at playing depressed psychos. lol The ending is insane but I refuse to give it away..

This movie should be nominated as it was originall and artistic but it also had great acting and directing.

Keifer Sutherland was good as always, but his role was not too challenging so I don't think he will get anything. But he did well too. He is so smoking hot that I always like seeing him in my movies. lol

epicamends

There are so many that I need to see. I still haven't seen Midnight in Paris, can't find it anywhere, so I'm going to have to wait for it to come out on DVD in December, I think.

I really need to see Ides of March asap. I'm not really too familiar with a lot of the buzz-worthy films yet, so I'm looking forward to that. We've still got a while before the Golden Globe announcements are made, but hopefully that will help me narrow down my list. I'd really like to watch everything this year, including documentaries, etc.

AIgrl06

Tee, which movies are you talking about that people are predicting? I think the reason a lot of "expert" predictions seem a little obscure right now is because most of the contenders haven't opened in theaters. Movies like War Horse, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close... I think they will be box office hits, they just haven't opened yet. The Help and Midnight in Paris were both big hits.

And now I really, really want to see Melancholia, lol. I have virtually no time on weekends to order the movie though, and I don't get on demand at school. :( Do you know how much longer it's going to be available on on demand/pay per view?

teesharky

Tee, which movies are you talking about that people are predicting? I think the reason a lot of "expert" predictions seem a little obscure right now is because most of the contenders haven't opened in theaters. Movies like War Horse, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close... I think they will be box office hits, they just haven't opened yet. The Help and Midnight in Paris were both big hits.

And now I really, really want to see Melancholia, lol. I have virtually no time on weekends to order the movie though, and I don't get on demand at school. :( Do you know how much longer it's going to be available on on demand/pay per view?

Not sure-- I will try to find out. It was so convenient to watch it at home! lol

I got the predictions from Golderby Forums of the LA Times. They seem to be fairly good in their predictions, though they were wrong alot too.

The Help was amazing and deserves to be nominated for sure. I think I meant movies like "The Artist" and "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" which sounded really odd to me. lol I never heard of them before. lol I saw previews for War Horse and it looked great so that one I have no issue with.

I just don't get why every year -- the nominated movies are all the ones that come out right before the Oscars--- and most of the other movies that were out earlier in the year are snubbed. lol

Last year-- we all raced around trying to watch the movies that were predicted to be nominated, and most of them did not come out until very very late in the year. lol Do they just ignore the first part of the calendar year, and only nominate movies that come out in Late December or whatever? lol

Grace_Of_God

Last year-- we all raced around trying to watch the movies that were predicted to be nominated, and most of them did not come out until very very late in the year. lol Do they just ignore the first part of the calendar year, and only nominate movies that come out in Late December or whatever? lol

Actually, production companies release what they think their best movies are closer to award show season. That way they all come out at the same time and are basically competing against each other. They usually arent big box office hits (there are multiple exception, Avatar anyone?) so they dont release them in summer when things like Harry Potter get released. Also theyre fresher in the voters mind closer to voting. That's why we're always rushing to watch the movies as well, and we're never sure which ones will make the cut.

Tree of Life- what a load of crap. Seriously, i HATED this movie. It was like, lets take a bunch of random shots, string them together and make a movie that makes no sense. I swear if this gets nominated and other movies that Ive mentioned already gets snubbed Ill be pissed. I dont care how "artsy" this was. A bad movie is a bad movie.

AIgrl06

^Greeeaatt. And I was looking forward to The Tree of Life, lol. I'd heard that it was deep and moving and that Chastain and Pitt were great. Did you even like Chastain or Pitt? And do you think it'll at least get some tech nods?

Tee, have you seen the trailer for The Artist? It looks so amazing. I've also read that it was a big fan favorite at Cannes, Toronto, etc. I could see it being a relative hit at the box office (it won't get $100m, but nobody would ever expect that, lol).

I'm kind of OK with having to clamor to watch movies this year. I just found out that my winter break is over a month long!!! :p I had thought I was doing a better job at seeing movies this year though, lol, then Hannah opened this thread and I realize I've only seen like, 4 movies that are legitimate contenders this year, lol. I'll probably try to check out Martha Marcy May Marlene next week.

eliefares

^Greeeaatt. And I was looking forward to The Tree of Life, lol. I'd heard that it was deep and moving and that Chastain and Pitt were great. Did you even like Chastain or Pitt? And do you think it'll at least get some tech nods?

Tee, have you seen the trailer for The Artist? It looks so amazing. I've also read that it was a big fan favorite at Cannes, Toronto, etc. I could see it being a relative hit at the box office (it won't get $100m, but nobody would ever expect that, lol).

I'm kind of OK with having to clamor to watch movies this year. I just found out that my winter break is over a month long!!! :p I had thought I was doing a better job at seeing movies this year though, lol, then Hannah opened this thread and I realize I've only seen like, 4 movies that are legitimate contenders this year, lol. I'll probably try to check out Martha Marcy May Marlene next week.

The Lebanese movie beat this at Toronto :p
I'm gonna go ahead and predict an Oscar nomination for "Where Do We Go Now?" :p

Also, I'll be getting caught up with movies after November 1st when my head & neck anatomy exam is done. The horror! Poor cadaver has nothing left :(

Grace_Of_God

I did like Chastain. I've seen Brad Pitt better. and I bet this will get a cinematography nod. At first i was like, maybe Im not "deep" enough to get this..but as this went on I was like "no....I understood Black Swan this movie just sucks"

I counted last night....Ive seen 44 new released movies this year (not award winning ones just new ones that I wanted to see cause I thought theyd be most talked about) and theres still 27 that are currently out that I want to see...oh crap its friday, that means a few more came out today. LOL

EDIT:
Drive-wow, i really enjoyed this movie. Ryan Goslings acting always comes off so effortlessly to me. Hes just so great, I love him. This movie gets pretty graphic at times. I didnt really know what it was about going into it but I wasnt disappointed. Mulligan was good as always too.

Last edited:

teesharky

Thanx so much. The trailer does look interesting, but what is the plot? Is there no speaking in the movie? Or did they just make the trailer without speaking for an artistic effect? Thanx.

teesharky

Actually, production companies release what they think their best movies are closer to award show season. That way they all come out at the same time and are basically competing against each other. They usually arent big box office hits (there are multiple exception, Avatar anyone?) so they dont release them in summer when things like Harry Potter get released. Also theyre fresher in the voters mind closer to voting. That's why we're always rushing to watch the movies as well, and we're never sure which ones will make the cut.

Tree of Life- what a load of crap. Seriously, i HATED this movie. It was like, lets take a bunch of random shots, string them together and make a movie that makes no sense. I swear if this gets nominated and other movies that Ive mentioned already gets snubbed Ill be pissed. I dont care how "artsy" this was. A bad movie is a bad movie.

agree. And thanx for your explanation. I saw about 10 minutes of the Tree of Life on pay per view, then got bored and fell asleep as it was too strange, even with Brad Pitt in it. I am sure if I stuck it out it would have gotten better, but I was not feeling it.

teesharky

I'm looking forward to J Edgar in November. I really haven't been in touch with a lot of movies this year. I only saw HP 7.2 and Thor

J Edgar Hoover is definitely on the list of the Oscar experts I think. I recall seeing it a few times.

I love Leo DiCaprio so I am definitely going to see that one. I hope he gets nominated and wins something.

But I definitely Think Ryan Gosling is the front runner right now for awards season, based on the films I saw. I would not count out Kirsten Dunst for at least a Globe Nod for Melancholia. It was her best work yet.

sam_vzla

The Lebanese movie beat this at Toronto :p
I'm gonna go ahead and predict an Oscar nomination for "Where Do We Go Now?" :p

Also, I'll be getting caught up with movies after November 1st when my head & neck anatomy exam is done. The horror! Poor cadaver has nothing left :(

LOL I read this but only the head and neck part and I was like "Wow what happened to Elie?" :eek: I thought they were doing to you those examns, I was scared for a moment.

I dont know how I'm going to do to watch all these movies you are talking about, this job of mine is taking my whole life and time to watch movies (or to do anything actually)