Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2018

Grace_Of_God

Lets doooooo this (also starting this thread in july because I know works about to get crazy again for me so I'm doing it when I have a bit of down time)

Golden Globes-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- Done

Critics Choice Awards-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- Done

PGA Awards-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- Done

Screen Actors Guild Awards-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- Done

DGA Awards-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- Done

WGA Awards-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- Done

BAFTAS-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- Done

Independent Spirit Awards-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- March 3rd

The Academy Awards-
Nominations- Done
Award Show- March 4th

*Bold means Ive seen it

Movies To Keep An Eye On-

-Get Out- On DVD
-The Big Sick- On DVD
-Dunkirk- On DVD
-Stronger-On DVD
-Three Billboards out of Ebbing, Missouri- In Theaters
-Lady Bird- In Theaters
-Mudbound- On Netflix
-Roman J Israel, Esq
-Coco- On DVD
-The Breadwinner-In Theaters
-Darkest Hour- In Theaters (Limited)
-The Disaster Artist
-Call Me By Your Name- In Theaters
-The Shape of Water- In Theaters
-I, Tonya- In Theaters
-Molly’s Game- In Theaters
-The Post- In Theaters (limited)
-All The Money in the World- In Theaters
-Phantom Thread
-Loving Vincent
-The Florida Project- On DVD

sources-
2018 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture - Goldderby

Oscar Predictions 2018 ? The 90th Academy Awards | IndieWire

This list will get edited the closer we get. If you can think of any other movies to add to the list please let me know!

Remember some of these movies are only being considered in one category

Last edited:

Grace_Of_God

-Get Out- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ
-The Big Sick- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcD0Daqc3Yw
-Dunkirk- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU
-Detroit- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5h7Kgo-zeI
-Call Me By Your Name-
-Mudbound-

Last edited:

Grace_Of_God

Okay so my early thoughts-

I feel like usually the most obvious category this early is Animated feature but I can't seem to find any article where theres any solid movie but Coco as a contender

And I'm really really surprised Get Out is still on almost every list I've seen. I thought it was okay, not award worthy though.

I really really want to see Detroit

and Im surprised The Beguiled is still on everyones list too cause i felt like people weren't as thrilled about it when it came out

once again did not recognize Naomi Watts in the trailer for The Glass Castle

sur_crazy4carrie

Also Aronofsky's Mother, Spielberg's The Papers, PTA's The Phantom Thread are all stuff to look out for especially coming from high profile directors. The last one is also Daniel Day Lewis's "final" film.

sur_crazy4carrie

Welcome to CF and the Award season thread. Feel free to talk about movies, your favourite TV shows and whatever else related to the arts.

sur_crazy4carrie

Spiderman: Homecoming is probably the best Spiderman film yet. That's largely because the film looks at Peter Parker as the high school kid that he is. Him dealing with teenage problems while being Spiderman, and his frustration at Tony Stark babysitting him are the most compelling parts of the movie. Holland, Keaton and Downey are all really good as is the kid who plays Peter's best friend. Keaton's villain is actually one of the best MCU villains to date because his actions come from a genuinely emotional place. The narrative is a little clunky at times but all in all, it's a really fun 2 hours.

Hannah, Hugh Jackman's The Greatest Showman on Dec 25 and Andrew Garfield's Breathe on 13 Oct.

Grace_Of_God

^ I want to see Spider-Man and atomic blonde soooooo bad. I've heard homecoming is the best spidey film from multiple people. Glad it didn't disappoint

And copy that, adding them now! Thank youuuuu.

I'm trying to catch up on this years movies I wanted to see before award show kicks off. Saw Logan and Kong Skull Island. They're pretty solid. Logan made me sad tho. And kong was the first King Kong movies I didn't hate

teesharky

^ Beguiled underwhelmed me too. I expected much more with that stellar cast. The acting was good, but the story itself was just meh. I guess I expected more of a plot.

Dunkirk though, met all expectations and critical reviews. It was raw, brutal, and powerful. The understated way that Nolan told the story was brilliant. He just let it unfold without any Hollywood ending or fakeness. It was painful and hard to watch at times-- not for gore, but for the despair you felt that was palpable. It felt like there was truly no escape and no way out at times. It was brutal, but brilliantly done. My only critique was the lack of character development or a "hero" to root for per se. That is what was missing for me in Hurt Locker too, which was one reason I hated that film. But Dunkirk had alot more soul so to speak than Hurt Locker so I loved it instead of hated it. But I do wish there was a bit more of a "story' or hero to root for instead of just the Good guys generally without tarnishing it with a Hollywood fake ending. Otherwise, it was great in every way, and i loved it.

PS- Harry Styles was very good. I think he has a real career ahead in acting.

teesharky

Hmm, as early as now, I've been hearing many great things about Dunkirk. Truly, it's one of the contenders.

It has a Metacritic score in the High 90s, which is incredible. I definitely think it will be nominated for everything, but it is hard to say if it will win yet due to so many more movies to come later in the year.

I loved it though. I actually agreed with the critics for once. haha

twaintrain

I think "Dunkirk" will pull a "Gravity" and win Director and the technical categories. The Academy seems to have drawn a line in the sand and refuses to award Best Picture to a big budget movie, no matter how deserving. Due to lack of dialogue, I don't see it winning Screenplay either. Along those same lines, due to lack of dialogue and character development, I don't see any acting wins. Of course, this is without seeing any other contenders. But I do think it would take something huge for Nolan not to win his first Oscar.

sur_crazy4carrie

Call me by your name trailer. I'm looking forward to this. The book was such sweet heartache.

Margot Robbie's accent in Goodbye, Christopher Robin seems to be all over the place

dismokemi

I finally watched a movie at home today for the first time in about 7 months. My new computer screen helped. I feel like I've found the joy of watching movies again. There are many movies I need to see and catch up with.

Julieta (2016). So beautifully shot, scored and acted; I adored every scene. The film was romantic, funny and as sad as it can be. The whole train sequence was fantastic. It has this mysterious Hitchcock which I loved. Then came the sadness. Grief and pain are often portrayed by tear, sobbing and words, but here it felt like a void, dry and empty. The depression and guilt spread like a virus between the family members. It was almost like heredity, from one mother to another. I'm glad the film ended on a somewhat happier note though, I'm not sure I could handle a sad ending right now.