Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2018

Grace_Of_God

^ so then you saw how I’m writing lady bird two: cross country road trip?

Sidebar I really like this article. It’s a bit long but i share a lot of similar thoughts on Jennifer Lawrence. I have a friend who as soon as someone gets a bit more popular or streamlined she hates them. So she very dislikes Jennifer Lawrence when she used to be a huge fan. I’m a big fan of J.Law and I think I always will be

https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenp...l-girl-image?utm_term=.oh56ByK61X#.oh56ByK61X

teesharky

^ hmm I guess I will skip Wrinkle in Time for now then. I did go see Red Sparrow to support Jen Lawrence. I liked it. It won't win any awards from a critic's standpoint-- but it was solid. She was believable to me in the role which surprised me. I did not see her in this role initially, and was a bit skeptical. But she was good.

I also finally saw Lady Bird. I enjoyed it and the acting was good. But I definitely did not see it as a Best Film of the YEar nom, so that surprised me. It was good-- but not GREAT enough for a Best Film nom.

AIgrl06

I believe since last posting in this thread I've seen:

Game Night
Annihilation
Red Sparrow

Annihilation
is phenomenal. I loved almost everything about it and I'm probably going to see it again. Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Gina Rodriguez are all amazing and Tessa Thompson is pretty great, too. The last thirty minutes is legitimately insane. It's so good. I'd like to see it in the mix for a lot of awards but I doubt it'll happen. I think best bets are Visual Effects and Score (and maybe Adapted Screenplay, a la Ex Machina).

Game Night is very entertaining. I thought McAdams and Bateman had good chemistry. This is a good movie if you just want to have a fun night out at the movies. You just can't think about it too much because that's when it falls apart, lmao. Oh and MVP is Jesse Plemmons.

Red Sparrow was fine. I liked a lot of what the film did (the opening scene is beautiful, for example), but for some reason when it all came together it wasn't anything special. I will say that Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic in this though. I think it's one of her best performances.

Also I reread A Wrinkle in Time this week and forgot how much I used to love that book as a kid. I'm sad it's gotten bad reviews... it did look pretty bad, though, lol.

stuffy

Game Night made me wish Rachel would do more comedy. She was hilarious. She's great at drama, but I miss her doing comedy too.

teesharky

OMG I saw on ET that Queen Meryl is joining Big Little Lies Season 2! She will be Perry's Mom. So he will be back in Flashbacks. Holy crap. It is going to be epic! What a cast!

teesharky

Ok I finally watched The Shape of Water. It was strange, but good. Not really sure how I feel about it. I did enjoy it oddly for what it was-- but I guess it wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. I will give it credit for being unique, and having excellent directing. I just don't really see it as Film of the Year, but that's just me I guess. I did like it, but Film of the Year should be one you want to watch over and over and over again. I would probably never watch this one again. Not because it wasn't good, but because it doesn't really interest me I guess? But I did see some really brilliant moments there- just really strange.

What did you guys think of this film? I am a bit confused I guess. haha

Grace_Of_God

^ that is exactly what one of my best friends said to me. I texted her being like “wait Dave Franco and Alison Brie are dating?!” And she goes “Girl they are married wtf” how did I miss that lol

twaintrain

Anyone seen A Quiet Place? It is absolutely phenomenal! It had been a while since I was this excited going into a movie and it did not disappoint. I really can't believe this plot has not been thought of before. The movie itself feels a lot bigger than it is in reality, I mean, pretty much the family is the only cast and there's not a lot of locations. It is like John took a big budget sci-fi movie and shot it through the eyes of an independent filmmaker. The cinematography is beautiful. Emily Blunt is outstanding as always. Congrats to John on starring in, co-writing, and directing the best movie of the year so far!

AIgrl06

Anyone seen A Quiet Place? It is absolutely phenomenal! It had been a while since I was this excited going into a movie and it did not disappoint. I really can't believe this plot has not been thought of before. The movie itself feels a lot bigger than it is in reality, I mean, pretty much the family is the only cast and there's not a lot of locations. It is like John took a big budget sci-fi movie and shot it through the eyes of an independent filmmaker. The cinematography is beautiful. Emily Blunt is outstanding as always. Congrats to John on starring in, co-writing, and directing the best movie of the year so far!

I absolutely loved it. 'Big budget sci-fi shot through the eyes of an independent filmmaker' is an excellent description. I mean, the tone of this movie is so perfect. It was amazing to see in the theater because I swear I've never sat with an audience that quiet. At one point someone in my audience dropped something and you could feel the breeze from everyone's head turning, ahahaha. This is Emily Blunt's career peak thus far, in my opinion. I think it could go down as a classic horror performance; her performance in the entire last third, from the moment her water breaks, is an absolute masterclass. That birthing scene! And the other three actors hold their own! It's so rare to find one great child actor for something like this, but both kids are great! And who thought Krasinski had this in him? Also, could this show up in Sound Mixing and Sound Editing? It seems obvious but like, it's obviously brilliant.

twaintrain

I absolutely loved it. 'Big budget sci-fi shot through the eyes of an independent filmmaker' is an excellent description. I mean, the tone of this movie is so perfect. It was amazing to see in the theater because I swear I've never sat with an audience that quiet. At one point someone in my audience dropped something and you could feel the breeze from everyone's head turning, ahahaha. This is Emily Blunt's career peak thus far, in my opinion. I think it could go down as a classic horror performance; her performance in the entire last third, from the moment her water breaks, is an absolute masterclass. That birthing scene! And the other three actors hold their own! It's so rare to find one great child actor for something like this, but both kids are great! And who thought Krasinski had this in him? Also, could this show up in Sound Mixing and Sound Editing? It seems obvious but like, it's obviously brilliant.

It would be so awesome to see this movie get love from the Academy. I mean, I know it's early, but I'm guessing this will remain in my top 10 for the rest of the year. Emily Blunt should definitely be in the conversation. Definitely the sound categories and maybe cinematography. I already want to go back and see it again!

AIgrl06

^I'm going to see it again on Saturday so I'll report back with any new findings, lol.

Also I reread A Wrinkle in Time this week and forgot how much I used to love that book as a kid. I'm sad it's gotten bad reviews... it did look pretty bad, though, lol.

I should follow up on this, ha. The movie is... fine? Like, it's not good, it's not necessarily bad, it just exists. I do think the special effects are over the top and become a bit of an eyesore, and the film doesn't carry the emotional weight that it should. It felt very disjointed. Storm Reid is very promising, though. Good find, there.

Isle of Dogs didn't really live up to the hype for me, which is kind of sad. It was good, but nowhere near Anderson's other films like Grand Budapest or Fantastic Mr. Fox or Moonrise Kingdom. I think the film has a really interesting premise and the story is good but the execution isn't amazing. The animation is fabulous though, of course.

Grace_Of_God

Movies Ive seen (from 2018) since I last posted-

-Borg Vs McEnroe
-Isle of Dogs
-Black Panther
-Avengers: Infinity War
-Life of the Party
-Ready Player One
-Annihilation
-Thoroughbreds
-Game Night
-Strangers: Prey At Night