Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2019

AIgrl06

That must be so surreal. I've been meaning to get the book from the library. How weird to see someone you know being played by Nicole Kidman.

twaintrain

It’s very crazy! She said that some reviewer of the movie said she (as played by Nicole) looked like a Real Housewife of Arkansas! Lol She said she took that as a compliment.

AIgrl06

I thought BlacKkKlansman was pretty great. Although it was classic Spike Lee, I was still somewhat surprised at how comedic it is. The narrative is entertaining and interesting, emotionally charged, and yet a little bit too on the nose at times. The end is definitely a sucker punch, even though the comparison between now/then and forecasting of current politics is layered throughout the whole film. I don't think I've ever seen John David Washington in anything before and he really made an impression here; I thought he was wonderful and magnetic as the lead. Adam Driver was also in fine form.

Also, this weekend I'm going to try to put together a summary of how the most anticipated films have fared at Venice and TIFF if Florence doesn't steal my internet/power/life. Awards season is starting!

twaintrain

I absolutely loved A Simple Favor. I was expecting a train wreck based on the trailer, but then saw the Rotten Tomatoes score and decided to check it out... so glad I did! It’s part “Gone Girl,” part comedy. So hard to explain. Easily one of my favorites of the year. Anna Kendrick. It should be a requirement that Anna Kendrick be in every movie. Honestly, I would not be surprised to see her nominated for an Oscar. It’s so rare that you see a movie that is unique, like truly unique. I guess you’d call this a dark comedy, but it’s so much funnier than any comedies released lately. But you still get enthralled in the mystery and drama. Ah, I just loved it!

twaintrain

^I absolutely loved it! The entire theater seemed to as well.

I personally really like Blake, but would not consider her a top-shelf actor in comparison to others. She’s good in the movie but Anna Kendrick totally steals it.

Grace_Of_God

with a star is born coming out this weekend. we are officially kicking off movie releases for award season. huzzah!

stuffy

with a star is born coming out this weekend. we are officially kicking off movie releases for award season. huzzah!
We’re going to try and go to the matinee tomorrow. I’m visiting family, so I’m not sure how often their movies sell out here or even if it’s a sell out kind of movie.

teesharky

Omg I just saw A Star is Born. Really loved the modern twist on the old story. Who knew Bradley Cooper could sing so well? Damn. He was superb in his role! The guy had mad skills.

Gaga was great too of course. I liked her a lot. But I think knowing she is an excellent singer/actress in advance took away the shock factor that Bradley gave me. I knew he could act- but sing that well? Wow.

overall- just give them both all the awards right now. Really well done.

twaintrain

I wanted to go see "A Star Is Born" but it wasn't on my Movie Pass movies today. Sad being at the mercy of Movie Pass. Of course, I could just pay, but then that defeats the purpose. Ugh!

AIgrl06

I've seen:

A Simple Favor
A Star is Born
First Man
Colette

And all of them ranged from good to great. I think First Man was probably my favorite of the four (and I wasn't expecting that).

A Simple Favor: I actually thought Blake Lively ran away with this movie. Kendrick and Lively both were basically playing exaggerated versions of themselves, but Lively brought something really special to the role. She displayed that movie star quality that you don't see too often. I'm not a huge fan but she totally won me over. I thought Feig did a great job at establishing a very particular tone. He's a fun director. Oh, but the last third or so of the film goes completely off the rails and I ended up being more lukewarm on the film than the first two thirds would suggest. Also, Henry Golding, oh my god.

A Star is Born: OK, this was good. I think the reviews have overhyped this one, and I went into it thinking it'd be fantastic, and it wasn't. Cooper was good, particularly his direction; this is a great debut for him. Gaga was pretty good, the songs were good, Sam Elliott was actually MVP for me, even though he had probably ten minutes of screentime, lol. I sort of liked the updated version of the story. But I thought Cooper and Gaga had very little chemistry, which shocked me because it was singled out in reviews as being amazing? Anyway, it's a solid film.

First Man: This surprised me. I'm going to be honest I didn't really want to see this movie (I didn't like the trailer) but I had a night free to go to the movies and this is the only one that worked time wise. It was riveting. In the first scene of the film you see through Gosling's perspective the atmosphere of the Earth, and right away I realized I was going to see something marvelous. Anyway, we come back to Earth, we deal with human problems, we deal with loss, we go to the moon. And throughout it all Chazelle's direction is staggering, he builds the tension so well that you're invested in a story that you know the ending of, and many of the events which lead up to it. Gosling is a force, and Claire Foy does a brilliant job with an underwritten role. I also thought Jason Clarke was great. Anyway, this is one of my favorites of the year so far.

Colette: This was also pretty great. Keira Knightley is doing phenomenal work in this one, she is such a magnetic lead, and really embodies the title character. Dominic West is also quite good in his bumbling, quasi-villainous role as the husband. The first half of this film reminded me of those classic 90's period pieces: Merchant Ivory, the plethora of Jane Austen adaptations, etc. But it's in the second half that the story really takes a turn, and it's so unapologetically modern and carefree. The more I think about the film the more I appreciate it. Plus I loved the score.

Last edited:

stuffy

^ I agree with you on A Star is Born. Good but completely overhyped. I was wondering if I was missing something everyone else was seeing. It's not a comparison thing either because in all my binge watching of AMC when I was young, it was never one I stumbled across.

Grace_Of_God

Independent Spirit Award nominations -

BEST FEATURE

Eighth Grade
First Reformed
If Beale Street Could Talk
Leave No Trace
You Were Never Really Here

BEST FIRST FEATURE

Hereditary
Sorry to Bother You
The Tale
We the Animals
Wildlife

BEST FEMALE LEAD

Glenn Close, The Wife
Toni Collette, Hereditary
Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade
Regina Hall, Support the Girls
Helena Howard, Madeline’s Madeline
Carey Mulligan, Wildlife

BEST MALE LEAD

John Cho, Searching
Daveed Diggs, Blindspotting
Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
Christian Malheiros, Socrates
Joaquin Phoenix, You Were Never Really Here

BEST DIRECTOR

Debra Granik, Leave No Trace
Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk
Tamara Jenkins, Private Life
Lynne Ramsay, You Were Never Really Here
Paul Schrader, First Reformed

BEST DOCUMENTARY

Hale County This Morning, This Evening
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
On Her Shoulders
Shirkers
Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

BEST SUPPORTING MALE

Raúl Castillo, We the Animals
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Josh Hamilton, Eighth Grade
John David Washington, Monsters and Men

BEST SCREENPLAY

Richard Glatzer (Writer/Story By), Rebecca Lenkiewicz & Wash Westmoreland, Colette
Nicole Holofcener & Jeff Whitty, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Tamara Jenkins, Private Life
Boots Riley, Sorry to Bother You
Paul Schrader, First Reformed

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY

Bo Burnham, Eighth Grade
Christina Choe, Nancy
Cory Finley, Thoroughbreds
Jennifer Fox, The Tale
Quinn Shephard (Writer/Story By) and Laurie Shephard (Story By), Blame

BEST EDITING

Joe Bini, You Were Never Really Here
Keiko Deguchi, Brian A. Kates & Jeremiah Zagar, We the Animals
Luke Dunkley, Nick Fenton, Chris Gill & Julian Hart, American Animals
Anne Fabini, Alex Hall and Gary Levy, The Tale
Nick Houy, Mid90s

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM

Burning (South Korea)
The Favourite (United Kingdom)
Happy as Lazzaro (Italy)
Roma (Mexico)
Shoplifters (Japan)

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE

Kayli Carter, PRIVATE LIFE
Tyne Daly, A BREAD FACTORY
Regina King, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie, LEAVE NO TRACE
J. Smith-Cameron, NANCY

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Ashley Connor, Madeline’s Madeline
Diego Garcia, Wildlife
Benjamin Loeb, Mandy
Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, Suspiria
Zak Mulligan, We the Animals

Grace_Of_God

Incredibles 2- I enjoyed this but certainly not as much as the first one. The kids are my favorite part of the movie. it was pretty predictable and I did not like the very heavy jealousy storyline they had for Bob. I thought it took a lot away from the movie. I think Id actually prefer so far Isle of Dog if that gets nominated.

A Star is Born-Caution this review is probably going to be spoilery AF. I didnt see the two versions prior to this one, but I would be interested in doing so. It was funny, I didnt realize Sam Elliot was in it (Katie waited to read your review) and when Cooper started talking I'm Like hey he sounds like sam elliot! and then there was that whole story line haha. I think the most interesting storyline was Coopers character slowly losing his hearing. I thought it was an okay movie, def overhyped. Gaga will get the nomination for the final 15 minutes of the film but I have no idea who she's against at the moment and have a lot more to watch. I enjoyed Cooper a good deal in this. Directing and acting wise. Ill support his nomination in both. HOWEVER I do have to say. I thought it was manipulative AS F%CK when Gagas character came to his aide and was like i won't do this again. And then that same day he basically convinces her to marry him. Did not like. I thought the most powerful shot was at the end with the dog outside the garage. I straight up started crying at that. is the original song for this film "shallow"? Cause if so that was my LEAST favorite song in the whole movie. Oh also. If Demi Lovato and I connected st a bar and she invited to fly me to a concert there wouldnt even be a second thought. I’d be like when do we leave. Silly Gaga. Overall if we're going to go with movies about has been music people and up and coming artist Id like to throw one of my favorites Begin Again in there for comparison. Ill forever be bitter that didnt get more attention

Ill be interested to see more nominations come out. Overall it seems like my original list in the first post is holding steady with predictions. and Backseat (the dick chaney movie) has been changed to VICE. I was very confused when I kept seeing that on predictions haha I'm like Ive never heard of this movie haha

stuffy

I loved Begin Again. It was one of those movie experiences where I went in with low expectations figuring it was one of those hyped movies where I’d be bored to tears. I was pleasantly surprised, and so happy I saw the movie.

AIgrl06

I thought it was manipulative AS F%CK when Gagas character came to his aide and was like i won't do this again. And then that same day he basically convinces her to marry him. Did not like.

OK so YES. 100%. This was a very unhealthy relationship all around. Like, I did not root for this couple at all and I kind of think I was supposed to.

Grace_Of_God

First Man- I have to say, it never occurred to me that we didnt have a movie about this before. At least of this magnitude. Like this story seems ripe for the picking. I knew much about the timeline of these events because I watched that short lived show "The Astronaut Wives Club". So i knew the major characters and the ones that died. I actually like that I knew a good amount going into it. Production wise this is pretty great. I mean the shots of them on the moon look outstanding and extremely realistic. I completely forgot this was directed by the guy who did LA LA Land. What a change! He did good with a completely different genre. I am pleased. I think Claire Foy was pretty great in it, its one of those subtle but meaningful performances. I also looked up as much as i could after to check accuracy as I usually do, and shockingly with only a few minor changes this was on point to what all actually happened, so I liked that. I think Ryan does a solid job, I believe this is one of the more subtle leading men characters Ive seen in a long time and he makes it pretty engaging to watch him.. I think its a solid movie. It won't be my favorite of the year but I enjoyed it a great deal.

AIgrl06

Widows is an excellent in the moment film. I had a great theater-going experience with this one. Personally, I think Steve McQueen is one of the best directors out there, and this is shot masterfully. It's slick, thrilling, well-paced, and somehow both broad and introspective. It is very, very clearly a Gillian Flynn script. If you liked Gone Girl, Sharp Objects, you'll like this story; if you disliked the prior two, you'll hate this as well. I do have to say that the more time has passed the less I like the script and in particular the Liam Neeson twist. It sort of falls apart on reflection, but that doesn't take away from the thrill of the initial viewing. Viola Davis is a QUEEN, oh my god. She carried this film wonderfully, and this is a star turn for Elizabeth Debicki, she's easily the standout of the supporting cast. I also loved Brian Tyree Henry in this. Daniel Kaluuya was great but his character was, to me, a little underused and his arc didn't wrap up well. Anyway, I'm disappointed that Davis, Debicki and McQueen don't have a chance for this.

The Favourite is pretty spectacular. Colman, Stone and Weisz are incomparable. Without having seen all of the contenders, I really, really want to see Colman win the Oscar for this. The way she weaves comedy and tragedy is nothing short of superb. And Stone and Weisz go head to head with her beautifully. On the surface it's a surprising performance from Stone, but in retrospect, it makes perfect sense. Her performance works so well because she's immensely charismatic and likeable, and you have no problem rooting for her at the start. Then the film does the whole switcheroo and Stone nails it. Weisz is phenomenal as well. This is finally a character she can sink her teeth into; she's biting and caustic and absolutely perfect. I seriously cannot praise the performances enough. Even though Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are in no way, shape or form supporting here. This is simply a film with three leads. Anyway, the script is wonderful in its originality, not quite as batsh*t as most Yorgos films (he didn't write it) but still quirky, weird and entertaining. I will say that the tonal shift in the final third probably could've been handled a little better. There was about a twenty minute stretch that I thought worked solely because of the ladies' performances. OH and let me shout out Nicholas Hoult! He was wickedly good. I prefer his performance to just about every other supporting actor I've seen this year. He's definitely ahead of Driver on my personal ballot so I'm sad he hasn't gained any traction whatsoever. But back to the techs. The cinematography is jarring, and you do get used to it throughout the film, but I still think I would've preferred that there weren't so many fish eye shots throughout. All in all, my favorite of the year so far.

Despite two central performances that are very good, Green Book was very disappointing for me. The sad thing is this is an inherently interesting subject matter--the premise is great. But I think the screenplay is the weakest point of this; it relies way too heavy on stereotypes and cheap jokes. There are a lot of interesting bits that are food for thought and could become discussion pieces, but the film just magics them away. Mahershala Ali in particular is great here, but his character is peripheral; Ali brings as much characterization as he can here, but I was left wishing the film had told the stories of both of these men, rather than revolving around Mortensen's character. Speaking of, Mortensen is good, it's a very committed performance and I won't be mad if he's nominated. For SAG, I'd say Washington > Mortensen > Cooper (the only three I've seen--Gosling in First Man is better than all of them, though). Anyway, give Linda Cardellini more role 2k19, please.

Last edited: