Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Award Season in 2019

Grace_Of_God

Based on what I assume will get nominated for best picture

1) Little Women
2) Parasite
3) JoJo Rabbit
4) Ford vs Ferarri
5) Marriage Story
6) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
7) The Irishman
8) A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
9) Joker

The top four are pretty set for my personal rankings. The rest I may change out once official nominations happen and I can asses and sit on them some more

I also loved the farewell but I see it missing out on a best picture nomination

I also have not seen 1917 or bombshell yet

twaintrain

I still need to see Parasite, JoJo Rabbit, and 1917. I’m guessing my local theater will not be showing the first two. Maybe they’ll be available on demand soon.

And I have to add, I watched the first episode of “Schitt$ Creek” a long time ago and thought it was good but it didn’t catch my attention enough to continue watching. Well last night I watched it again and then the second and like 10 more... could not stop and every episode is hilarious and it keeps getting funnier. How is this just now getting awards recognition??? I guess the channel Pop which originally aired it didn’t have enough power or something. Thank goodness it’s on Netflix.

I also binged “The Politician”. After every episode I would say “that was so stupid” and then continue watching. The same exact thing I do with “Riverdale”. Lol

twaintrain

I watched "1917" this weekend and what a film! It was absolutely incredible. When it won at the Globes I was surprised but now that I've seen it, it totally deserved it. I think it should take home quite a few Oscars as well. The only film that could be in contention that I haven't seen is "Parasite". But I have to say, "1917" is a film-making masterclass. I have no idea how Sam Mendes managed to make this appear to be one shot. I think cinematography and editing Oscars are going to be a given. This movie puts you right in the action with the characters, almost as much as "Saving Private Ryan" did. It's an experience you have to see for yourself to appreciate.

I predict "1917" will win Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, Film Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, and possibly Production Design.

twaintrain

Well, guess I was wrong about Film Editing for 1917. I guess the Academy thought they filmed the entire movie in one take.

And no Oscar nod for JLo. Can’t say I’m surprised about that.

teesharky

I miss this thread. Not as much activity as before.

Anyway- I finally saw JUDY. Loved Renee’s acting and hope she wins the Oscar. She was superb! The movie itself was rather depressing as they only focused on the negative painful parts of Judy’s life sadly. I get they wanted to show the drug abuse and dark side to her life and career/family issues- but surely she had some
happy moments too? That bothered me that the director had no desire to show a balanced picture of her life. I wonder how Liza Minnelli etc feels ? I think the movie could have been spectacular if they balanced the dark moments with some of her success and happy times.

twaintrain

Okay, where is everyone? It's killing me that this thread is dead during the best year for movies since Carrie Fans has been around. Seriously, this Best Picture race is the best in years!

Here are my rankings of the nominees:
1. 1917 - The first of two movies that I think are absolute perfection. This movie hit me like a lightening bolt and knocked the breath out of me. If Sam Mendes doesn't win for directing and Roger Deakins for cinematography, then the academy members are crazy. I already stated how much I loved this movie, so I'll just reiterate "I love this movie!" Brilliant! Perfection! lol
2. Ford V. Ferrari - The second movie I think is perfect. I know it's not a "Best Picture Oscar-winning-type of movie" but the mix of comedy, emotion, and action struck the perfect balance. I tend to love James Mangold movies anyway (Walk The Line, 3:10 to Yuma, Logan). Hopefully it at least wins some technical categories. I had the biggest smile on my face throughout this movie... that's why we go to the movies.
3. Little Women -Greta Gerwig should win Adapted Screenplay for this fantastic retelling. Again, I loved the mix of drama and humor. Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh give excellent performances that are definitely worthy of their nominations. It was very well done and I loved it. Saoirse's speech in the film about not wanting to get married and being lonely really got me.
4. Marriage Story - This movie is heart-wrenching in the best possible way. Scarlett Johansson and especially Adam Driver give such powerful performances. I may *secretly* be hoping Adam pulls an upset over Joaquin... I know I'm dreaming. But nonetheless, this movie is powerful and emotional. Laura Dern is, of course, great and will deserve her Oscar. Also hoping it wins Original Screenplay. I mean, how cool would it be if Noah and Greta won the same year!
5. Parasite - I enjoyed this movie and it's very well done. I'm afraid there was absolutely no way it could live up to the hype I was hearing about it. It is a unique story with crazy twists. Honestly, this could have been completely over-the-top and gone off-the-rails but Bong Joon Ho had a vision that he saw through. Ho would be my second choice for director, but I can't say he should beat Mendes. My hope is they award Parasite International Movie and 1917 Best Picture and Director.
6. Joker - Again, this movie was very well done and powerful. I think the reason it's lower on my list is the fact that it is so dark. I love a darker comic book movie, the greatest of all-time is The Dark Knight, but this goes way beyond that. I don't even know if you can call it a "comic book" movie honestly. Joaquin Phoenix is incredible and, even though I may favor Adam Driver, Joaquin will 100% deserve his Oscar.
7. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood - Again, I enjoyed this movie, but I can't help comparing it to former Tarantino movies and I wouldn't call this his best. To me, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained were both deserving of Best Picture Oscars. While this is good, I can't say that about this one. Leo and Brad give awesome performances and I cannot wait to see Brad accept his Oscar.
8. The Irishman - I made it through this movie and I kind of liked it. That doesn't sound like much of a complement, but a 3.5 hour movie about a subject I hate (the mafia) starring an actor I don't like (Robert DeNiro). The fact that I made it through it and it wasn't pure misery is saying a lot, haha. I get the achievement with the de-aging effects but that's not enough to come close to a victory this year.

JoJo Rabbit - I really want to see this movie but it's not going to be available to rent before the awards. So that's why I'm going ahead and making my list.

twaintrain

I miss this thread. Not as much activity as before.

Anyway- I finally saw JUDY. Loved Renee’s acting and hope she wins the Oscar. She was superb! The movie itself was rather depressing as they only focused on the negative painful parts of Judy’s life sadly. I get they wanted to show the drug abuse and dark side to her life and career/family issues- but surely she had some
happy moments too? That bothered me that the director had no desire to show a balanced picture of her life. I wonder how Liza Minnelli etc feels ? I think the movie could have been spectacular if they balanced the dark moments with some of her success and happy times.

I have to say, I watched Judy and throughout I thought "Renee is good, but is she Oscar-worthy?". Then came the last scene and she had me crying and feeling all the feels. If that's the take-away, then I can definitely see why she's going to win.

twaintrain

Here's my picks and predictions. If I had only seen a couple or none of the films (hello docs and shorts) then I didn't put a personal pick. The only Best Picture nominee I haven't seen is JoJo Rabbit.

Best Picture

“Ford v Ferrari” (Disney/Fox)
“The Irishman” (Netflix)
“Jojo Rabbit” (Fox Searchlight)
“Joker” (Warner Bros.)
“Little Women” (Sony)
“Marriage Story” (Netflix)
“1917” (Universal) MY PICK
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (Sony)
“Parasite” (Neon) MY PREDCTION

Best Director
Martin Scorsese (“The Irishman”)
Todd Phillips (“Joker”)
Sam Mendes (“1917”) MY PICK, MY PREDICTION
Quentin Tarantino (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”)
Bong Joon Ho (“Parasite”)

Best Actor
Antonio Banderas (“Pain and Glory”)
Leonardo DiCaprio (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”)
Adam Driver (“Marriage Story”) MY PICK
Joaquin Phoenix (“Joker”) MY PREDICTION
Jonathan Pryce (“The Two Popes”)

Best Actress
Cynthia Erivo (“Harriet”)
Scarlett Johansson (“Marriage Story”)
Saoirse Ronan (“Little Women”)
Charlize Theron (“Bombshell”)
Renee Zellweger (“Judy”) MY PICK, MY PREDICTION

Supporting Actor
Tom Hanks (“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”)
Anthony Hopkins (“The Two Popes”)
Al Pacino (“The Irishman”)
Joe Pesci (“The Irishman”)
Brad Pitt (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”) MY PICK, MY PREDICTION

Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates, (“Richard Jewell”)
Laura Dern (“Marriage Story”) MY PICK, MY PREDICTION
Scarlett Johansson (“Jojo Rabbit”)
Florence Pugh (“Little Women”)
Margot Robbie (“Bombshell”)

Adapted Screenplay
Taika Waititi (“Jojo Rabbit”) MY PREDICTION
Steve Zaillian (“The Irishman”)
Anthony McCarten (“The Two Popes”)
Greta Gerwig (“Little Women”) MY PICK
Todd Phillips and Scott Silver (“Joker”)

Best Original Screenplay
Rian Johnson (“Knives Out”)
Noah Baumbach (“Marriage Story”) MY PICK
Sam Mendes and Krysty Wilson-Cairns (“1917”)
Quentin Tarantino (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”)
Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won (“Parasite”) MY PREDICTION

Animated Feature
“How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World”
“I Lost My Body”
“Klaus” MY PREDICTION
“Missing Link”
“Toy Story 4”

International Feature Film
“Corpus Christi”
“Honeyland”
“Les Miserables”
“Pain and Glory”
“Parasite” MY PREDICTION

Best Documentary
“American Factory” MY PREDICTION
“The Cave”
“Edge of Democracy”
“For Sama”
“Honeyland”

Best Cinematography
Rodrigo Prieto, “The Irishman”
Lawrence Sher, “Joker”
Jarin Blaschke, “The Lighthouse”
Roger Deakins, “1917” MY PICK, MY PREDICTION
Robert Richardson, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

Best Costume Design
Sandy Powell and Christopher Peterson, “The Irishman”
Mayes C. Rubeo, “Jojo Rabbit”
Mark Bridges, “Joker”
Jacqueline Durran, “Little Women” MY PICK, MY PREDICTION
Arianne Phillip, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

Film Editing
Michael McCusker and Andrew Buckland, “Ford vs. Ferrari” MY PICK
Thelma Schoonmaker, “The Irishman”
Tom Eagles, “Jojo Rabbit”
Jeff Groth, “Joker”
Yang Jinmo, “Parasite” MY PREDICTION

Makeup and Hairstyling
“Bombshell” (Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan and Vivian Baker) MY PREDICTION
“Joker” (Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou)
“Judy” (Jeremy Woodhead)
“Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” (Paul Gooch, Arjen Tuiten and David White)
“1917” (Naomi Donne, Tristan Versluis and Rebecca Cole)

Original Score
Hildur Guðnadóttir, “Joker” MY PREDICTION
Alexandre Desplat, “Little Women”
Randy Newman, “Marriage Story”
Thomas Newman, “1917” MY PICK
John Williams, “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”

Original Song
I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” “Toy Story 4”
“I’m Gonna Love Me Again,” “Rocketman” MY PREDICTION
“I’m Standing With You,” “Breakthrough”
“Into the Unknown,” “Frozen 2”
“Stand Up,” “Harriet”

Production Design
“The Irishman”
Production Design: Bob Shaw
Set Decoration: Regina Graves

“Jojo Rabbit”
Production Design: Ra Vincent
Set Decoration: Nora Sopková

“1917” MY PICK
Production Design: Dennis Gassner
Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” MY PREDICTION
Production Design: Barbara Ling
Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh

“Parasite”
Production Design: Lee Ha Jun
Set Decoration: Cho Won Woo

Sound Editing
“Ford v Ferrari” (Donald Sylvester) MY PICK
“Joker” (Alan Robert Murray)
“1917” (Oliver Tarney and Rachael Tate) MY PREDICTION
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (Wylie Stateman)
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” (Matthew Wood and David Acord)

Sound Mixing
“Ad Astra” (Gary Rydstrom, Tom Johnson and Mark Ulano)
“Ford vs. Ferrari” (Paul Massey, David Giammarco and Steven A. Morrow)
“Joker” (Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic and Tod Maitland)
“1917” (Mark Taylor and Stuart Wilson) MY PICK, MY PREDICTION
“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (Michael Minkler, Christian P. Minkler and Mark Ulano)

Visual Effects
“Avengers: Endgame” (Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Matt Aitken and Dan Sudick) MY PREDICTION
“The Irishman” (Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser and Stephane Grabli)
“The Lion King” (Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Elliot Newman)
“1917” (Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler and Dominic Tuohy) MY PICK
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” (Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan, Patrick Tubach and Dominic Tuohy)

Documentary (Short Subject)
“In the Absence”
“Learning to Skateboard in a War Zone If You’re a Girl” MY PREDICTION
“Life Overtakes Me”
“St. Louis Superman”
“Walk Run Cha-Cha”

Short Film (Animated)
“Daughter”
“Hair Love” MY PREDICTION
“Kitbull”
“Memorable”
“Sister”