Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banter about Language: Plural form for animals

jeff

just another fan
Why is the plural form for moose, moose and not mooses or meese?

mooseDM2003_468x440.jpg

Yet, the plural for goose is geese?

GEESE.jpg

How about the plural for mongoose? Mongeese, mongooses or mongeeses?

mongoose-preparing-for-cricket-207x300.jpg

and for those who know other languages, does such a peculiarity exist in other languages?

buckeyecarriefan

Mongoose is mongooses.

Just another example why English is the toughest language to learn. It has no rules , kinda just goes with it's flow. And yet we expect EVERY person who lives here to know it fluently.....

allirishgirl

Mongoose is mongooses.

Just another example why English is the toughest language to learn. It has no rules , kinda just goes with it's flow. And yet we expect EVERY person who lives here to know it fluently.....

gotta disagree with ya there Tom! IMO Irish is the hardest language to learn. We learn it from we are 4 years old (when we start school) till we leave school (17-18) that is 13 years & I still know better French than I do Irish! its IMPOSSIBLE! I would love to be fluent in Irish but that is never gonna happen! :(

buckeyecarriefan

gotta disagree with ya there Tom! IMO Irish is the hardest language to learn. We learn it from we are 4 years old (when we start school) till we leave school (17-18) that is 13 years & I still know better French than I do Irish! its IMPOSSIBLE! I would love to be fluent in Irish but that is never gonna happen! :(

OK, English is the toughest of the major languages(English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, etc.) to learn. :p

nannygirl

What is with you and pandering Irish to us English-speaking folk? xD

Woah, I didnt even know there was an Irish language lol. English does seem like it would be a really hard language to learn, Im happy that its my native language, I feel like so many people in the world are just expected to be able to use it. Ive heard Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn and I dont get it at all haha Id hate to have to learn Chinese or a "hard language"

allirishgirl

OK, English is the toughest of the major languages(English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, etc.) to learn. :p

thats better :p

What is with you and pandering Irish to us English-speaking folk? xD

eh I believe you started it!

Woah, I didnt even know there was an Irish language lol. English does seem like it would be a really hard language to learn, Im happy that its my native language, I feel like so many people in the world are just expected to be able to use it. Ive heard Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn and I dont get it at all haha Id hate to have to learn Chinese or a "hard language"

Yup there sure is :) seems a few Cfers didnt know that

Is the plural for fish fish or fishes?

still fish