Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Britney's Tour Hits the Discount Market

Pi314CA

Didn't find a Britney "Femme Fatale" era thread, so I'm posting this in its own thread. Here are some excerpts.

Britney's Tour Hits the Discount Market
Posted Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54am PDT by Chris Willman in Stop The Presses!

Britney Spears is apparently not the sure-fire concert draw she once was. Since lot of current or former fans have apparently decided not to hit that "BUY" button one more time after all, the web discounter Groupon has been selling 50%-off tickets for more than half the shows on Spears' 33-city tour. And not even all those half-price tickets have gotten snatched up.

The tour opened Thursday night in Sacramento to what the local paper described as a sell-out crowd. But a week prior to the show, Groupon offered $59 face-value tickets for a bargain basement price of $30. Groupon's web site shows that 1,400 people took the Sacramento offer before it sold out. But since there was a maximum of 8 tickets allowed per sale, that means there could have been anywhere from 1,400 to 11,200 people getting into the arena via the last-minute half-price offer. Similar deals have been offered in 18 cities on the tour.

Is this a sign of the public's enormous Britney fatigue, a wave of the ticketing future, or both?

And even the half-off deal is not enough is some cities where Groupon didn't sell out their one-day offers. In Atlantic City, only 229 people took up the half-price offer, according to the site. In Seattle, 1,211 took the deal. In Cleveland, it was 921. In Detroit, 1,877 bought anywhere from 1-8 tickets at $30 each, leaving 123 offers still on the table at day's end. In Cleveland. But in Portland, Groupon sold out all 2,000 opportunities to buy tickets at $20 each.

The news isn't any better for Spears' flailing Femme Fatale album. It came out in late March with decent if not overwhelming first-week sales of 276,000. But after 11 weeks in stores, the album has sold only 558,000 copies—meaning almost half the total to date was sold that first week. It's the 11th bestselling album of the year so far, which, in 2011, is not saying a lot. Britney may have legs, but Femme Fatale doesn't.

Link: Britney's Tour Hits the Discount Market - Stop The Presses!

carriebest

her tickets cost too much i think. but she still sells very well. She topped ticketmaster.com (if i'm not mistaken) for months. the discount just to fill the empty awful spot i guess.

Carrieflattsfan

Honestly, I think Britney should just retire and raise her boys. She had an amazing run as the biggest pop star in the world for 10 years, but now it doesn't seem like her heart is into music or performing like it used to be.
A huge part of her popularity was her talent as a performer, but she doesn't look like she's trying anymore.
What's left for your fans if you were a great performer, but never a vocalist, and are now neither of those things?

carriebest

Honestly, I think Britney should just retire and raise her boys. She had an amazing run as the biggest pop star in the world for 10 years, but now it doesn't seem like her heart is into music or performing like it used to be.
A huge part of her popularity was her talent as a performer, but she doesn't look like she's trying anymore.
What's left for your fans if you were a great performer, but never a vocalist, and are now neither of those things?

she's still 29. still so young. it's not her time to retire. well, if she's taking a break, that's a different story. :)

she may not dance like she used to. at least we can appreciate her because she is trying. she has 2 sons, we can't expect her to dance like when she used to. at least she's singing live now, right? :)

clh_hilary

She's still having #1 albums, #1 singles, #1 tours, #1 buzz, #1 videos, I don't see how there would be motivations for her to retire?

Pi314CA

her tickets cost too much i think. but she still sells very well. She topped ticketmaster.com (if i'm not mistaken) for months. the discount just to fill the empty awful spot i guess.

$59 for a ticket is reasonable. I think that's about the same as ticket for a Carrie concert. I bought Josh Groban tickets for about $85 each.

Carrieflattsfan

she's still 29. still so young. it's not her time to retire. well, if she's taking a break, that's a different story. :)

she may not dance like she used to. at least we can appreciate her because she is trying. she has 2 sons, we can't expect her to dance like when she used to. at least she's singing live now, right? :)

She's still having #1 albums, #1 singles, #1 tours, #1 buzz, #1 videos, I don't see how there would be motivations for her to retire?

I can see where pulling the plug on something successful may not be a great idea to Britney or her fans. But to me it seems kind of disrespectful to her fans/audience to continue touring, despite the fact that she's not on her A-Game like she used to be.
She knows that, yet she stil lipsyncs her songs & doesn't put in the effort to do the dancing & choreography while still wanting the same amount of money she got when she was on top of her performances?
That's like Whitney Huston asking her fans to pay hundreds of dollars a ticket when she can no longer sing well at all.
Doesn't seem right to me.

clh_hilary

that's crazy. but it's included meet and greet, isn't it?

I don't know. All I know is they sold out, talk about crazy stans.

I can see where pulling the plug on something successful may not be a great idea to Britney or her fans. But to me it seems kind of disrespectful to her fans/audience to continue touring, despite the fact that she's not on her A-Game like she used to be.
She knows that, yet she stil lipsyncs her songs & doesn't put in the effort to do the dancing & choreography while still wanting the same amount of money she got when she was on top of her performances?
That's like Whitney Huston asking her fans to pay hundreds of dollars a ticket when she can no longer sing well at all.
Doesn't seem right to me.

I see your point, but at this point, maybe 90% of the audience of hers already know what she is not able to do, and they are still willing to buy her stuff. If fans are willing to pay for that amount of money to see her on tour lipsyncing, I don't see how she's being unfair.

wonderboy

The tickets for the great seats on the floor were upwards of $300, which I think is quite steep, but it sounds like a great show. I would've gone if I could have gotten one of the discount seats, because it sounds like more of a "show" than her "performing live" if you know what I mean. Britney's always been about the experience, the dancing, special effects, music. She's not really a singer in the way of Carrie. She's more of a storyteller if you would. I still like her and I would enjoy seeing her live, but not at hundreds of dollars.

AdamJ

Seems Brit and Christina A. have lost some of their glitter and they are trying to regain it. But they are both older---fans change even though some of the original ones will stick with them---and add in the fact they can not deliver as they used to do when they were young, the ecomony, etc.. Personally I am a fan of both but I have been turned off by their personal life and the fact that they are just NOT as good as they used to be. Other acts have come along and are more appealing to the young generation. That is the way it is in all genres. I think some older country artists are an exception --like Reba ( but young people like me do not buy her music or in some cases even listen to her)---but they are all getting older and the young generation is taking over---------the circle of life-----