Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie earns another $20 million!

clh_hilary

Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com

Lady Gaga Leads Forbes' 2011 Top-Earning Women in Music List

SShe may not have been born this way, but Lady Gaga was pop's top-earning woman in 2011.

According to Forbes, Lady Gaga earned $90 million from album sales, touring and endorsements -- double the estimated earnings of Taylor Swift and Katy Perry, who made $45 million and $44 million, respectively. In Gaga context, that's over $5 million for each of the pop provocateur's nearly 17 million Twitter followers, or $2 million a piece for her Facebook little monsters.

The numbers reflect earnings between May 2010 and 2011.

That calendar means Adele, who notched $18 million and ninth place with only a few months of record-keeping for her chart-ruling "21," may be tough competition for Mother Monster in 2012.

Rounding out the top 10 list was Beyonce ($35 million), Rihanna ($29 million), Pink ($22 million), Carrie Underwood ($20 million), Celine Dion ($19 million) and Britney Spears, who tied with Alicia Keys at $10 million for the No. 10 spot.

Overall, U2 was Forbes' top act in music, with the band notching $195 million.

sco

Notice that the numbers are calculated from May 2010 to May of this year. I heard Carrie comment in one interview that she had no idea where they get their numbers from which makes it sound like they are a pretty rough estimate at best.

clh_hilary

Yes it is a rouge estimation at best. People like Madonna would be getting millions sleeping at home due to her royalties and stocks, etc. but she rarely gets represented there. It's basically calculated through reported payment for commercials, shows, tour(s), and estimation from artists' cuts from album/single sales and radio airplay, if they write/co-write those played tracks. Another problem is you can't even get those numbers easily in other parts of the world. And you don't know the cost. The cost might actually be so high that the artists hardly made any real profits.

And yes, the cover period is May to May, so basically "Undo It"+"Mama's Song"+"Remind Me" for Carrie, and "Play On Tour", some "Play On"'s sales and sales of other products. But I suppose most of her money comes from endorsement.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
Yes it is a rouge estimation at best. People like Madonna would be getting millions sleeping at home due to her royalties and stocks, etc. but she rarely gets represented there. It's basically calculated through reported payment for commercials, shows, tour(s), and estimation from artists' cuts from album/single sales and radio airplay, if they write/co-write those played tracks. Another problem is you can't even get those numbers easily in other parts of the world. And you don't know the cost. The cost might actually be so high that the artists hardly made any real profits.

And yes, the cover period is May to May, so basically "Undo It"+"Mama's Song"+"Remind Me" for Carrie, and "Play On Tour", some "Play On"'s sales and sales of other products. But I suppose most of her money comes from endorsement.

Most of that estimate comes from the second half of the Play On tour. Remember that gross ticket sales came in at around $350K to $450K for each show. And there were probably 40 to 50 shows in that period. That would account for about 3/4 of that estimated total. Given that, they are probably still underestimating the total.

sco

They can reasonably estimate what the artists make from royalties and ticket sales. Endorsement contracts are probably public information as well. They have no way of estimating what their expenses are. I don't know if those numbers even try to account for that. Ultimately it doesn't matter a whole lot. All of the artists on the list have been remarkably successful and are undoubtedly proud of what they have accomplished. The money is just a bonus. I'd be willing to bet the artists themselves don't know the precise numbers until they sign their tax returns at the end of the year.

clh_hilary

Well I'm just throwing out the expenses thing because I know the earlier leg of the Monster Ball tour of Lady GaGa is not earning any money despite selling out. The cost is so high. Same goes to U2 and to a lesser extent Madonna. The latter two did earn a lot but their actual profit has to deduct the massive amount they have spent on their tours' settings and all.

sco

Well I'm just throwing out the expenses thing because I know the earlier leg of the Monster Ball tour of Lady GaGa is not earning any money despite selling out. The cost is so high. Same goes to U2 and to a lesser extent Madonna. The latter two did earn a lot but their actual profit has to deduct the massive amount they have spent on their tours' settings and all.

That's a good point. These articles are probably pretty misleading. People read the headlines and think the numbers represent the artist's personal income when that is really not what they are saying.

cary78663

Obsessed Chart Watcher
They can reasonably estimate what the artists make from royalties and ticket sales. Endorsement contracts are probably public information as well. They have no way of estimating what their expenses are. I don't know if those numbers even try to account for that. Ultimately it doesn't matter a whole lot. All of the artists on the list have been remarkably successful and are undoubtedly proud of what they have accomplished. The money is just a bonus. I'd be willing to bet the artists themselves don't know the precise numbers until they sign their tax returns at the end of the year.

These estimates are income only. No expenses are accounted for. So in truth, an artist could be #1 on the list while actually losing money for the year after all the expenses, taxes, etc are accounted for.

That's great Carrie made the top 10! She's up there with such big names, and she definitely wasn't as active as say Rihanna was or Katy Perry was during that time frame