Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie liked a tweet oh my

Hil

Not without some reluctance, I'll throw in my two pennyworth on this story

Carrie doesn't live in Davidson County, and her family is unlikely to be directly affected by what the Nashville Metro School District is mandating for its Board Schools. If she liked this blogger's report of his speech to that body, I would presume that she felt that it (or some part of it) touched on something she might see as an issue of principle. Perhaps she sees it as a matter that should be left to parental decisions. Perhaps, as a mother, she might feel that some young children are frightened of wearing, or seeing others wear, masks. Those are only guesses - but my point is that she must have had her reasons, and those might be quite specific. I see no reason to jump to the conclusion that she is anti-mask wearing by adults, or anti-vaccination (Not a few people, on both sides, are extending their interpretation in directions like that - and, yes, I do think that she probably should have realized that they would have done that. But social media can be trap, where a quick, off the cuff action can be pounced on, blown out of proportion, and hammered back to haunt you.)

For me, as for some others who have already posted, the most uncomfortable aspect of this story is not that she presumably has, at least by implication, an opinion on mandatory mask wearing by children, which any of us may or may not agree with (that, of course, would be her right,). More concerning is the fact that the blog she presumably chose to publicly give her "like" to is a highly divisive one. The blogger in question not only thrives on the corrosive "culture war" approach that currently dominates so much of contemporary political and social commentary, he actively amplifies and perpetuates those embittered divisions - often demonizing and ridiculing those who disagree with him. Of course, he is not the only one to do that - but it is undeniable that he is one who prominently does so - and that is not an approach that I would have expected Carrie to honour with a public "like" (whatever her views on a specific issue might be)

There are actually several reasons why I don't believe it to be likely that Carrie would endorse this blog as a whole, or agree in general with his approach or more strident opinions. Her mother and sisters were or are teachers, and I can't believe she would approve of the parts where he appears to be accusing school staff and adminstrators of "child abuse". Several of Carrie's songs, throughout her career, have themes that take a feminist viewpoint against abusive or explioitative relationships, and I can't believe she would approve of his more strident anti-feminist views. She has spoken supportively of same sex marriage rights, and I can't believe she would endorse his mocking and rather apocalyptic fears of this leading to an undermining of society. Carrie may have "liked" a specific view on a speciific issue, but I don't think that should be blown up into a blanket endorsement of what this blog stands for..

In point of fact, it is not clear that she follows this blog regularly. There seems to have been a significant delay between the speech being made and Carrie's posting her "like". That suggests to me that she may not read it regularly, but something , or someone, may have drawn her attention to some aspect of it - in which case the "like" may have been a rather random, spur of the moment decision.

Unfortunately, though, it does seem to have led Carrie into the "culture war" maelstrom. I did a search on hers and the blogger's names together, and a large number of articles were thrown up. Many of these did involve sites associated with the militant "Conservative Influencers", with provocative (an, in my view, exaggerated) headings such as:
Liberal outrage erupts after Carrie Underwood likes...
Cancel Culture Mob Attacks Carrie Underwood For Liking ...
Leftists Lose It at Carrie Underwood for 'Liking'...
WOKE Mob Comes After Carrie Underwood for Liking...

So whether we (or she) like it or not, her simple "like" is currently being "weaponized" by people who sense a political advantage (even if only a temporary one) in mocking their foes and reinforcing the cultural divisions in society. (I am actually rather surprised that Carrie - who has a degree in mass media and communications - did not foresee that something like this was likely to happen).

That said, I don't think it will have a serious effect on her career. It should only "fly" as a hot topic for a very short while, and quickly be replaced by some other story. Even if something of a reputation (deserved or not) does linger around her in some people's minds because of this, her music and entertainment skills, her sincerity and personal charm, will still be more important for most.

I do hope, though, that this does not put her off from using social media. Her own tweets have often been interesting, and the causes she sometimes supports have not generally been matters that lead to bitterness.
Best post. Always so thoughtful. I felt the same way you did.

FanSince04

By the way, I don’t think this is affecting her career in the slightest. Her followers on Twitter and Instagram have not changed at all. Conversation discussing COVID can continue, but the original purpose of this thread was about Carrie + the liked tweet about COVID/Masks. It seems the “backlash” was a flash in the pan. Clearly, it was used to further people’s agenda/narrative… whatever that may be (often times it’s subjective).

adam1995

Just throw this out there, the blogger she "liked" works for the Daily wire, a site run by Ben Shapiro. Candace Owens, who interviewed Mike also works for the Daily wire. Chances are Carrie knows who Matt Walsh is. Just saying.

Hil

Just throw this out there, the blogger she "liked" works for the Daily wire, a site run by Ben Shapiro. Candace Owens, who interviewed Mike also works for the Daily wire. Chances are Carrie knows who Matt Walsh is. Just saying.
That sucks because he's a real POS. Especially the way he kept using her name to try to get more people to hate her. He also dared her to delete so the other side would come after her then.

adam1995

That sucks because he's a real POS. Especially the way he kept using her name to try to get more people to hate her. He also dared her to delete so the other side would come after her then.
He definitety wasn't trying to get people to hate her. He was definitely trying to rile the left in general. I don't follow him much, but definitely don't mind him. He's no different than his counterparts on the left.

Carrie seems unbothered, so we should be as well. This has probably all but died out at this point.

adam1995

By using her name to get people to hate her. Sorry, can't stand the guy. I don't like anyone extreme from any side. They just use people to propel their agenda.
Again, I doubt he tried to get people to hate her. Probably wanted to push his speech and profile. Why would he want people to hate her, when she seemed to agree with him?

PRGuy79

So, how about we send them all home from October through March to avoid them ever getting sick. If the child displays no symptoms there's no reason to assume they will pass a virus. No one willingly gives someone else an illness. That's just not the case, someone who doesn't wear a mask is still not willingly giving anyone a virus, it doesn't make them bad people. If the mask works so well, if you're wearing one, what are you worried about?
Wrong. Asymptomatic people are passing this virus to others. And it really doesn't matter if they are doing it intentionally or not - their actions are contributing to the spread of the virus. And while the asymptomatic carrier may not be seriously ill, there is no guarantee that the person they pass it to won't end up on a ventilator or dead.

Farawayhills

Well, it struck me that he was using her as a symbol to advance the "culture war" divisions that he thrives on, and which his blog helps to magnify. The public "backlash" against Carrie on Twitter struck me as relatively minor - certainly by social media standards - with relatively few people jumping in with words like "cancel", or accusing her of being "anti-vac". Some people will always feed on that sort of controversy and exaggerate the implications of one remark or "like" - but I've seen far worse on Twitter. Walsh definitely drew more attention to it, and his allies in the blog and website universe jumped in (sometimes with syndicated repetition), making it sound as if there was a tidal wave of extremist campaigning against Carrie.

At worst, that use of her as a partisan symbol could have made things much more damaging to Carrie (who has a very mixed fan base) than the minor Twitter backlash alone could have - but, fortunately it didn't seem to.

adam1995

Wrong. Asymptomatic people are passing this virus to others. And it really doesn't matter if they are doing it intentionally or not - their actions are contributing to the spread of the virus. And while the asymptomatic carrier may not be seriously ill, there is no guarantee that the person they pass it to won't end up on a ventilator or dead.
Ok, Dr. PrGuy79. You know everything, maybe Biden will pick you to replace Fauci. Can’t wait!

PRGuy79

Well, it struck me that he was using her as a symbol to advance the "culture war" divisions that he thrives on, and which his blog helps to magnify. The public "backlash" against Carrie on Twitter struck me as relatively minor - certainly by social media standards - with relatively few people jumping in with words like "cancel", or accusing her of being "anti-vac". Some people will always feed on that sort of controversy and exaggerate the implications of one remark or "like" - but I've seen far worse on Twitter. Walsh definitely drew more attention to it, and his allies in the blog and website universe jumped in (sometimes with syndicated repetition), making it sound as if there was a tidal wave of extremist campaigning against Carrie.

At worst, that use of her as a partisan symbol could have made things much more damaging to Carrie (who has a very mixed fan base) than the minor Twitter backlash alone could have - but, fortunately it didn't seem to.
Exactly. This is at the heart of my disappointment. Carrie has done such a good job over her 15 year career of representing inclusivity of thought and belief among her fanbase and I am sad that this can be interpreted as a departure from that approach - especially because of how the partisan troll-monger who is exploiting her "like" is capitalizing from it.

PRGuy79

Ok, Dr. PrGuy79. You know everything, maybe Biden will pick you to replace Fauci. Can’t wait!
Never claimed to know everything, Adam. But if you're going to comment on public health during a pandemic that is killing people, you should probably know something. We're 18 months into this disaster - there's no excuse not to be paying attention.

adam1995

Never claimed to know everything, Adam. But if you're going to comment on public health during a pandemic that is killing people, you should probably know something. We're 18 months into this disaster - there's no excuse not to be paying attention.
I’m sure I know about as much as you, and Carrie knows about as much as you and Matt Walsh knows about as much as you.

I’m done talking to you, because you’re not willing to have a civil conversation. You’re defensive and angry, because Carrie did something you hate, and you can’t accept that, so you take it out here. You have your beliefs about what’s going on and you can, that’s you’re right. But everyone else does, too. Respect that and the world would be better, don’t belittle and act superior to them. Which you are doing. You aren’t living their life, and don’t know why people may not want vaxxed, or why a parent doesn’t want a mask on their kid. You don’t know their situations, but you don’t care, you’re as dismissive as their lives as you claim they are towards others.

Bye now!!!

PRGuy79

I’m sure I know about as much as you, and Carrie knows about as much as you and Matt Walsh knows about as much as you.

I’m done talking to you, because you’re not willing to have a civil conversation. You’re defensive and angry, because Carrie did something you hate, and you can’t accept that, so you take it out here. You have your beliefs about what’s going on and you can, that’s you’re right. But everyone else does, too. Respect that and the world would be better, don’t belittle and act superior to them. Which you are doing. You aren’t living their life, and don’t know why people may not want vaxxed, or why a parent doesn’t want a mask on their kid. You don’t know their situations, but you don’t care, you’re as dismissive as their lives as you claim they are towards others.

Bye now!!!
Bye.

But my "opinions" are based in science and are supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the scientific community. So if you want to listen to Matt Walsh, that's fine, but your incorrect comments could harm people when we should be trying to protect them. You can call that "acting superior" if you want, but I call it "acting responsibly".

Have a good day.

mikebeme3

Bye.

But my "opinions" are based in science and are supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the scientific community. So if you want to listen to Matt Walsh, that's fine, but your incorrect comments could harm people when we should be trying to protect them. You can call that "acting superior" if you want, but I call it "acting responsibly".

Have a good day.
You've turned science into your religion, you will only believe the facts that benefit your worldview and ignore or use emotional arguments to suppress the science you don't like. You're not trying to have an honest conversation

PRGuy79

You've turned science into your religion, you will only believe the facts that benefit your worldview and ignore or use emotional arguments to suppress the science you don't like. You're not trying to have an honest conversation
And what, exactly, have you contributed to this conversation? Without specifics, your general insults indicate you have given up on having a substantive debate.

PRGuy79

...And science is most definitely not my religion. My faith is very deep and personal to me. And my faith compels me to care about others who are being harmed by this pandemic. And my faith compels me to believe that God expects us to learn and grow and follow the science. I believe God wants to help us, but I also believe God expects us to help ourselves. And that starts by speaking and embracing truth - not conspiracy theories.