Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie's entire voice range in 40 seconds

MelissaD

With notes that she's demonstrated in her actual singing, it's a solid 3 octaves from C#3 - C#6. With "exclamations," or pitches that are not actually intended to be musical, it's closer to 4 octaves. Many vocal technicians and pedagogues that specialize in a technique called "speech-level singing" argue that if someone can cleanly produce a specific given pitch, their voice can be trained to achieve it in a musical repertoire through slight modifications in production. That's why unsung notes are included in a lot of these types of videos.

This is interesting even though I really don’t understand it whatsoever haha! I feel like I know when someone has a good voice but that’s the extent of it. Thanks for making this!

MelissaD

^I tried to remove the music from some of them so that the vocal could be heard a bit more clearly. Can you tell me which specific ones stood out to you, so that I can try to fix them?

adam1995

C#4
Eb5
Most above A5

I hope the initial question didn't come off critical, I didn't intend it that way. Maybe the sound is just because either is one singular note isolated.

MelissaD

C#4
Eb5
Most above A5

I hope the initial question didn't come off critical, I didn't intend it that way. Maybe the sound is just because either is one singular note isolated.

No you're fine, I didn't perceive it that way at all! I appreciate the feedback, because I'll re-listen to a clip so many times after I've edited it to the point that it becomes almost counterintuitive, because it'll just sound "normal" to me after a while, since I spent so much time listening to and re-tweaking it. The impression of someone hearing it for the first time is probably more true to what it actually does sound like.

Anyway, the C#4 sounds a little strange because the note is actually sung in a harmony, and unfortunately it got a little distorted when I tried to filter the vocals. It's from "Some Hearts," when she sings the line "some hearts just get lucky sometimes," during the first chorus. I'm going to try and find a different C#4.

The Eb5 is from "Mexico," which is one of the loudest songs ever lol, so I tried to remove some of the background noise there too. As far as the notes above A5 are concerned ... many of them are exclamations, and she'd do them while the crowd was already hyped up, so I tried to reduce the sounds coming from the audience. There's an effect on iMovie called "reduce background noise," and it's on a scale from 0 to 100%. I probably put the meter up too far, which resulted in more distortion. Going to see if I can adjust some parts of the audio without having to completely re-upload.