Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrie's Ultimate Song: 2013 Edition

Burst

About a year ago, just after the release of Blown Away, we did this exact same thing and found that Carrie's Ultimate song was Blown Away. Keeping in mind, this was literally less than a month after the album had been released, so everyone was still on the whole new-album high. Due to popular demand, (not really, like two or three people brought the idea up, but whatever..) I've decided to run the game again.

The rules are pretty simple. Rate each of Carrie's songs below (hopefully I didn't forget any this time.... except the Christmas ones I kicked out since it's kinda hard to compare a Christmas song to a normal one) by giving them a rate between zero and ten. Decimals are allowed. Both the highest and lowest(or one of the highest/lowest in the case of multiple tens or zeroes) will not be counted in order to maintain a little more accuracy, and not allow one person to completely change the rates. This doesn't mean your rates won't matter. Since we're comparing her songs to one another, don't be afraid to give some songs lower scores if you think they're not her best songs. If you love a song, feel free to give it a ten, and if you hate it, give it a zero by all means! However, a maximum of ten 10s or 0s can be sent. There are no limits for the other scores. Send these rates to me in a private message. In a week or two, or however long is needed, I will compile the results and post them here. :) I'm seriously hoping I don't forget any songs like I did last year.

Just to compare, the top ten last year was:
1. Blown Away
2. Just a Dream
3. Jesus, Take the Wheel
4. So Small
5. Someday When I Stop Loving You
6. Wine After Whiskey
7. Good Girl
8. Wasted
9. Two Black Cadillacs
10. Temporary Home

The songs that should be rated:
1. Inside Your Heaven
2. Wasted
3. Don't Forget to Remember Me
4. Some Hearts
5. Jesus, Take the Wheel
6. The Night Before (Life Goes On)
7. Lessons Learned
8. Before He Cheats
9. Starts With Goodbye
10. I Just Can't Live a Lie
11. We're Young and Beautiful
12. That's Where it Is
13. Whenever You Remember
14. I Ain't in Checotah Anymore
15. Flat on the Floor
16. All-American Girl
17. So Small
18. Just a Dream
19. Get Out of This Town
20. Crazy Dreams
21. I Know You Won't
22. Last Name
23. You Won't Find This
24. I Told You So
25. The More Boys I Meet
26. Twisted
27. Wheel of the World
28. Sometimes You Leave (bonus)
29. Cowboy Casanova
30. Quitter
31. Mama's Song
32. Change
33. Undo It
34. Someday When I Stop Loving You
35. Songs Like This
36. Temporary Home
37. This Time
38. Look at Me
39. Unapologize
40. What Can I Say
41. Play On
42. Good Girl
43. Blown Away
44. Two Black Cadillacs
45. See You Again
46. Do You Think About Me
47. Forever Changed
48. Nobody Ever Told You
49. One Way Ticket
50. Thank God For Hometowns
51. Good in Goodbye
52. Leave Love Alone
53. Cupid's Got a Shotgun
54. Wine After Whiskey
55. Who Are You
56. Home Sweet Home
57. Ever Ever After
58. Praying For Time
59. I'll Stand By You
60. There's a Place For Us
61. You're Looking at Country
62. How Great Thou Art (studio, not live)
63. Remind Me (with Brad Paisley)
64. Oh Love (with Brad Paisley)
65. It Had To Be You (with Tony Bennett)
66. Is It Still Over? (with Randy Travis)
67. Can't Stop Loving You (with Aerosmith)

Farawayhills

. Both the highest and lowest(or one of the highest/lowest in the case of multiple tens or zeroes) will not be counted in order to maintain a little more accuracy, and not allow one person to completely change the rates.

Thanks for doing this - it sounds interesting, and quite a bit of work

The quote, though, is the bit I'm not sure I fully understand. If someone rates, say, four songs at 10, how will you decide which one to leave out?. (Also, to circumvent that rule, wouldn't it just tempt people to submit a "bogus" 10 to be discarded and their real choices as three 9.9s, to ensure they were counted?)

allamericangirl8

Thanks for doing this - it sounds interesting, and quite a bit of work

The quote, though, is the bit I'm not sure I fully understand. If someone rates, say, four songs at 10, how will you decide which one to leave out?. (Also, to circumvent that rule, wouldn't it just tempt people to submit a "bogus" 10 to be discarded and their real choices as three 9.9s, to ensure they were counted?)

Here, I can clarify.

He meant that if Two Black Cadillacs received seven 10s and one 3, he will drop the outlier. In fact, I think that's exactly what happened in the last rate (TBC was originally #1, but someone sent in a three and the song plummeted).

Sent my rates in! I hope you don't regard giving 9.9s as cheating. :p

NC State Carrie Fan

I say it just be aloud to .5s not .8s and .9s cause i like the fact of only having 10 10sand not cheating and rating everything else 9.9

Burst

Here, I can clarify.

He meant that if Two Black Cadillacs received seven 10s and one 3, he will drop the outlier. In fact, I think that's exactly what happened in the last rate (TBC was originally #1, but someone sent in a three and the song plummeted).

Sent my rates in! I hope you don't regard giving 9.9s as cheating. :p

Yeah that's what I meant, I just suck at explaining. ;)
9.9s are fine :cool:

Burst

I've gotten about 7-8 submissions so far. It'd be nice to break the number of 14 that I got last year! :)

Carrieflattsfan

I always have such a time doing these.

I always find that my rankings don't necessarily reflect my listening habits, either; there were several songs I ranked in the 9-10 range that aren't personal favorites of mine.

And I also had to cut out a few 10s, which was really tough.

thunder92

I always have such a time doing these.

I always find that my rankings don't necessarily reflect my listening habits, either; there were several songs I ranked in the 9-10 range that aren't personal favorites of mine.

And I also had to cut out a few 10s, which was really tough.

Same here. Some of my personal favorites I ranked 6 or so since this is on quality not preference. I feel I was very objective

countrymusicfan15

Same here. Some of my personal favorites I ranked 6 or so since this is on quality not preference. I feel I was very objective

The rules say if we love a song, feel free to give it a 10! You can bet my favs are getting a 10!

Thus, I was under the impression we are ranking based on our personal liking of the songs.

Last edited:

Carrieflattsfan

The rules say we love a song, feel free to give it a 10! You can bet my favs are getting a 10!

Thus, I was under the impression we are ranking based on our personal liking of the songs.

We are ranking our personal favorites; I just chose to rank mine using objectivity as well as personal taste. Like, WCIS isn't one of my favorite Carrie songs, but I think it's one of the strongest songs from PO, and lyrically and melodically I really enjoy it, so I ranked it slightly higher than I might if I were ranking only based on my personal preferences. In the same way I'd feel funny ranking UI really high even if I really like it, because lyrically it's one of Carrie's weakest songs.

Granted, I didn't do this with every song, and of course my favorites received high rankings, but objectivity did play a small part in my list.

If everyone was being objective, Praying For Time would earn an 11. :'(

That cover is gorgeous, but I never listen to it; I think my highest ranking cover was "Home Sweet Home."

thunder92

Is that how you treated ITYS and LAM, too?

ITYS yeah, but it's not a favorite of mine so either way it was gonna be low lol
LAM is a little different since it was never really released so many know it as a carrie song.

Idk, these technicalities always bother me. Lol I quit

Carrieflattsfan

ITYS yeah, but it's not a favorite of mine so either way it was gonna be low lol
LAM is a little different since it was never really released so many know it as a carrie song.

Idk, these technicalities always bother me. Lol I quit

I feel the exact same way; I'm glad I'm not alone in this. :p.

ITYS has never been a favorite of mine, although I do adore it live.

I honestly don't think of LAM as a 'cover' either, since most people probably don't even know it was originally sung by Alan Jackson. LAM was released on a soundtrack album, whereas ITYS became a pretty big hit for Randy back in the day. I wouldn't rank either of these lower because their covers, but I would rank them lower if I didn't listen to them very much.

I've actually come to appreciate LAM much more over time; I didn't care for it much when PO came out.

allamericangirl8

I gave ITYS a low score. My least favorite single by far. LAM on the other hand is one of Carrie's best tracks.

But yeah, that's why I didn't include whether or not it was a cover in my criteria because then things were gonna get really messy. :p

Home Sweet Home is definitely one of Carrie's best covers (even top 2), but I never understood why PFT was so underrated. I still think it's up there with HGTA as one of her best performances of all-time. I have never heard Carrie sound so angry and scathing.

countrymusicfan15

I gave ITYS a low score. My least favorite single by far. LAM on the other hand is one of Carrie's best tracks.

But yeah, that's why I didn't include whether or not it was a cover in my criteria because then things were gonna get really messy. :p

Home Sweet Home is definitely one of Carrie's best covers (even top 2), but I never understood why PFT was so underrated. I still think it's up there with HGTA as one of her best performances of all-time. I have never heard Carrie sound so angry and scathing.

I gave ITYS a 9.5 and LAM a 6 I think lol

I'll Stand By You is by far my favorite cover. I never listen to Praying For Time. so yeah lol

Carrieflattsfan

ITYS is great as a standalone song, I think, but I just thought the studio version was missing something. I felt like everything that makes Carrie's voice standout was stripped in ITYS; it's just bland as it gets in terms of vocals.

ITYS was one of my least-favorite singles too, especially because I don't like the studio version. CR had so many potential single choices; I was upset ITYS was chosen at the time, because I felt there were so many other great songs to choose from.

I like PFT, and I think it's really beautiful. But for some reason, I don't listen to it a lot. I remember how in awe I was of her voice on it when I heard it on Idol though; I loved watching that performance. Carrie's the kind of singer that can come out and make you forget you're watching a TV show that discovers unknown singers, because she's so good.

While we're talking about perfect covers..."Desperado" is still one of my favorite Carrie performances of all-time. She's had so many amazing covers, but my top two would probably be HGTA and "Desperado," with "Home Sweet Home" or "Neon Moon" rounding it out.

I think I gave ITYS somewhere between 4-6, and HSH was at least an 8.