Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Country Music's Year of the Woman

matsche1190

Hi all....I have been a member for quite a while, but usually just read others posts. I just read an article on The Boot, called 2013 Country Music's Year of the Woman and it made me angry! I would post it here, but don't know how.

You need to read it. They talk about the women that are influencing country music, and gaining on the "Boys Club", and they do not even mention Carrie...only Miranda, Pistol Annies, Kacey Musgraves and a few women from groups.

How can they leave Carrie out of this group of "influencial" women?

matsche1190

Sorry just realized that I probably put this in the wrong place...newbie! Maybe someone could move it where it belongs for me...thanks.

pklongbeach

If you see an article that specifically places this group of women into a specific light, you must accept that it is basically a paid announcement. (commerical)

What do..

Miranda Lambert
Pistol Annies
Kacey Musgraves

have in common......? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Please!

chevrolet

Hi all....I have been a member for quite a while, but usually just read others posts. I just read an article on The Boot, called 2013 Country Music's Year of the Woman and it made me angry! I would post it here, but don't know how.

You need to read it. They talk about the women that are influencing country music, and gaining on the "Boys Club", and they do not even mention Carrie...only Miranda, Pistol Annies, Kacey Musgraves and a few women from groups.

How can they leave Carrie out of this group of "influencial" women?

The short answer is....it's a matter of when.

Carrie has been around for eight years now and for the better part of those years was part of only 2 or 3 really prominent women in country music. She helped paved the way for the more pop-leaning acts like LBT, Sugarland, TBP, Lady A, etc., and gained acceptance for them. Her influece is already established. Now you have these other women in larger numbers becoming influential and gaining ground on the Boys Club. The truth is though, that unless you include the women of groups, solo females still haven't gained that much. For solo females in country good isn't quite good enough.

bearball49

Don't worry too much about Miranda. In spite of all if her awards and pimping done for her, her sales are not that good. Just read today that the Pistol Annie's had to cancel multiple tour dates....it showed a photo of three ticked off women. Don't know what the deal is for sure but susoect they did not have enough tckets sold.

Mirasa45A

supercarriefan

Don't worry too much about Miranda. In spite of all if her awards and pimping done for her, her sales are not that good. Just read today that the Pistol Annie's had to cancel multiple tour dates....it showed a photo of three ticked off women. Don't know what the deal is for sure but susoect they did not have enough tckets sold.

I'm pretty sure the Annies' tour was selling fine. If it was in fact ticket sales, why did they also cancel an appearance at the CMT Awards? They canceled the entire month of June, and some of those shows were sold out.

robinannhunt

I'm pretty sure the Annies' tour was selling fine. If it was in fact ticket sales, why did they also cancel an appearance at the CMT Awards? They canceled the entire month of June, and some of those shows were sold out.

They aren't getting along? They each want a career of their own?

pklongbeach

It is proven over and over, it is very hard to have a "group" when one is being featured in the media and by the management.
Sooner or later, the group no longer feels like a "group".

And since this group started with one so much more established than the others, and used as its primary tool for advertizing the issue was already upfront and in place for the inevitable to be set in motion.

Farawayhills

Welcome to posting, Matsche

The only two things I've heard about the Pistol Annies' situation are that Angaleena was in Texas when Ashley and Miranda were at the CMT event; and that Ashley has told Sirius that they are still a band, and still the best of friends

(I can't help thinking how eerily similar those words are to what the Dixie Chicks said for years - but I don't want to be pessimistic about a situation that is so recent, and about which we know so little. Groups can certainly be vulnerable to changing circumstances and changing perspectives of members. Fans often hear little, and resort to speculation. In the Dixie Chicks' case, the speculation went on for years, went round in circles, and, in the end, appeared to be largely correct. But in the case of the Civil Wars and the Pistol Annies, I think it's unwise to speculate too much on something we're not party to, and may still be resolved.)

If you'll forgive a digression though - if any group does have to break up, I think the best thing is probably not to let it run on in rumour and uncertainty. One of my favourite groups, Red Molly, had to face a founder member leaving, and I think handled it with grace and consideration for fans. If it has to be done - this is probably the way to do it - go back to the festival where you started, involve your fans, and sing "Last Call For The Broken Hearted"

On the more general issue that's been raised, about women in Country Music, there is currently a buzz of excitement among songwriters, critics and hard core Country fans about the younger artists pushing more edgy, critical, songs, with a more noticeable Roots feel.
For example, one of the most respected names in Nashville songwriting, Matraca Berg, tweeted last night that she thinks it's the most exciting time for women in Country since the 90s.

I agree that it's unfair to leave Carrie out. I think she currently has the strongest album of her career, and her first three songs of this era certainly meet my definition of being edgy and remarkably innovative. I also think two of them in particular, "Good Girl" and "Two Black Cadillacs" also pay homage to two of the significant traditions of Southern Roots Music (Texas Blues and Southern Gothic) However, I'll be honest and say I think there may be two reasons why Carrie is not being included in the buzz surrounding albums such as "Like A Rose" and "Same Trailer Different Park". One is that the Roots elements Carrie is including in her lead songs are not specifically Nashville Mainstream Roots (and therefore are less interesting to those critics who want to see more homage paid within Mainstream Country itself); and secondly, that Carrie's overall work tends to be seen by many critics as blurred by being too close to General Music (not the direction those revisionist critics and fans want).

While I strongly support albums such as the ones I mentioned, though, I think the extent to which they will actually influence Nashville may be exaggerated. I think they will create interest - which may be more than temporary - but I think they are more likely to remain in a viable, but limited, niche market. The fact that they are being embraced within the Mainstream (instead of having to go Alternative) is encouraging - but the theory that they will take over the Mainstream is just wishful thinking. Music Row and the radio world will do what they've always done - follow the major demand. More diversity within that can only be good - but it's not going to impinge on those artists and fans who are pursuing another course.

jamesharry404

Of the Academy Awards for actors --- the highest and most prestigious --- Katharine Hepburn is the most-honored actress, winning 4 Academy Awards.

Whitney Houston is the most awarded female music artist of all time, according to Guinness World Records, having obtained 2 Emmy Awards, 6 Grammy Awards, 16 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards, among a total of 411 career awards as of 2006.

In acting categories, Meryl Streep holds the record for the most Golden Globe wins with 7

However, including special awards, such as the Henrietta Award - World Film Favorite Actor/Actress or Cecil B. DeMille Award, Barbra Streisand would win with 11 awards

Tony Awards for Theater -- Julie Harris, Angela Lansbury and Audra McDonald share the record with five Tony wins each. Harris also has a special Tony for Lifetime Achievement in the Theater.

Female artist with most CMA Awards --- Reba McEntire
McEntire holds the record for the most Academy of Country Music Top Female Vocalist Awards (seven), and American Music Awards for Favorite Country Female Artist (twelve), and ties with Martina McBride for most Country Music Association Female Vocalist of the Year Awards (four), though McEntire does have the distinction of winning the award 4 times consecutively. She also is one of only two women in country music history to have attained a number one hit in four different decades, and the only female to achieve solo number ones across four decades.
She has won around 100 awards.

As for the most awarded female entertainer ---- music, stage, tv, movies, philanthropy, humanitarian, etc

The Record Industry Association of America has certified 25 of her single or album releases as either Gold Record, Platinum Record or Multi-Platinum Record.
She has had 26 songs reach number one on the Billboard country charts, a record for a female artist.
She has 42 career top-10 country albums, a record for any artist, and 110 career-charted singles over the past 40 years.
Kennedy Center honoree from the White House in Washington, D.C.
Eight Grammy Awards and a total of 45 Grammy Award nominations.
Grammies she was given a Lifetime Achievement Award.
At the American Music Awards she has won three awards, but has received 18 nominations.
At the Country Music Association, she has received 10 awards and 42 nominations.
At the Academy of Country Music, she has won seven awards and 39 nominations.
She is one of only six female artists to win the Country Music Association's highest honor, Entertainer of the Year
She has also been nominated for two Academy Awards and a Tony Award.
She was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording
A star on the Nashville Star Walk for Grammy winners and a bronze sculpture on the courthouse lawn of her hometown.
Was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry.
Was named one of Ms. Magazine's Women of the Year.
Was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame
Induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
Received several honorary doctorate degrees from various universities.
National Academy of Popular Music/Songwriters Hall of Fame
Was awarded the Living Legend Medal by the U.S. Library of Congress for her contributions to the cultural heritage of the United States.
The National Medal of Arts, the highest honor given by the U.S. government for excellence in the arts and was presented by the U.S. President Bush.
Recieved the Kennedy Center Honors from the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts for her lifetime of contributions to the arts.
The Liseberg Applause Award, the theme park industry's most prestigious honor
The Woodrow Wilson Award for Public Service from the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars of the Smithsonian Institution
For her work in literacy, Parton has received various awards including:
Association of American Publishers – AAP Honors Award (2000)
Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval (2001) (the first time the seal had been awarded to a person)
American Association of School Administrators – Galaxy Award (2002)
National State Teachers of the Year – Chasing Rainbows Award (2002)
Parents as Teachers National Center – Child and Family Advocacy Award (2003)

Ms Dolly Parton.

For most over all awards for greatness --- if she didn't take the prize, I don't know who would.