Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Country Universe - Identity Crisis (Carrie mention)

Claire2004

Identity Crisis

by Kevin John Coyne
January 31, 2011

I became a country fan twenty years ago, and have been fully immersed in the genre for about as long. I’ve read up on the history, heard pretty much every significant artist and recording, and can speak knowledgeably about the genres highs and lows over the past few decades.

We’ve never been this low. I think I finally understand why that is.

Part where Carrie is mentioned:

But as a relevant genre of its own? That can’t continue if the vast majority of the new mainstream artists have little connection to what came before them. Superstars are hard enough to come by as it is, and when you think about the ones who have emerged from country music in recent years – Sugarland, Keith Urban, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum – their tenuous links to country music as a distinct art form are virtually nonexistent.

Ten years ago, Carrie Underwood would’ve been grouped as a pop-country diva. These days, she’s the only recent superstar that even seems to care that her music sounds identifiably country. And while there is no shortage of alternative country acts who are connected to the genre’s roots, their very existence on the outskirts of the mainstream prevent them from having a meaningful enough impact to carry on country music’s rich legacy.
Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Identity Crisis

abbeyjones18

Thanks for the article! I think that country music is more diverse, more comtemporary than in the past. It's like they're country, just not the country that people want them to be, not the country that people grew up listening to. Carrie definitely brought me to country music full-time. I have never heard of Rascal Flatts until they were on Idol, never heard of Sugarland, among other acts, and it's all because of Carrie (and Idol...gotta give credit to the show who made her famous...lol!). I love how the writer of this article pointed out about how Carrie is pretty much the only "superstar that even seems to care that her music sounds identifiably country"...that's why I love Carrie! Her respect the genre, the people...I honestly can't see her in a different music formt than country music! :)

diva101

Thanks for the article! I think that country music is more diverse, more comtemporary than in the past. It's like they're country, just not the country that people want them to be, not the country that people grew up listening to. Carrie definitely brought me to country music full-time. I have never heard of Rascal Flatts until they were on Idol, never heard of Sugarland, among other acts, and it's all because of Carrie (and Idol...gotta give credit to the show who made her famous...lol!). I love how the writer of this article pointed out about how Carrie is pretty much the only "superstar that even seems to care that her music sounds identifiably country"...that's why I love Carrie! Her respect the genre, the people...I honestly can't see her in a different music formt than country music! :)

I totally agree!!! sure some of Carrie's fast paced songs are somewhat poppish than country, but there is no doubt that her ballads are PURE country!

Because she respects her music and her country roots so much, my respect for Carrie has gone through the heavens :)

robinannhunt

Carrie mixes the best of country with a little pop that is refreshing but still country. Her renditions are where country should be at this time. Country is not the launching pad for pop music. Thank you country universe for recognizing it.

jaylee50

Good article. Thanks for posting. I love how others recognize and go on record about Carrie's relevance to country music. I also love that Carrie can sing and does sing other genres, and is also praised for doing so.

abbeyjones18

Carrie mixes the best of country with a little pop that is refreshing but still country. Her renditions are where country should be at this time. Country is not the launching pad for pop music. Thank you country universe for recognizing it.

That's a good way to describe it... :)

Mirasa45A

"Ten years ago, Carrie Underwood would’ve been grouped as a pop-country diva. These days, she’s the only recent superstar that even seems to care that her music sounds identifiably country. And while there is no shortage of alternative country acts who are connected to the genre’s roots, their very existence on the outskirts of the mainstream prevent them from having a meaningful enough impact to carry on country music’s rich legacy".

I've said this a long time ago about people who remix their songs to be more popesh --they have less impact and less legacy in country music in the long run.

fearless_dancerrr

carrie has been nothing but an ambassador to country music since day 1. hell, her coming off AI and going to country perked A LOT of people's interest in country music and brought over so many new fans. carrie is one of the few artists that has made country popular to people who typically don't care to listen to it. country music should be thanking her not snubbing her.

Jade_kt

Wonder if he would consider this a high or low in country music right now. Great article though. Nice Carrie mention.

abbeyjones18

This has definitely become one of my favorite articles...yes, Carrie is metioned, and it's a wonderful metion. But, it talks about the problem that country music is facing...boy does this scream volumes after yesterday's snub!

robinannhunt

This has definitely become one of my favorite articles...yes, Carrie is metioned, and it's a wonderful metion. But, it talks about the problem that country music is facing...boy does this scream volumes after yesterday's snub!

You got that right. If country becomes pop as it is doing then why listen to the genre.

Jade_kt

Yeah I think music in general has gone down in quality. So has it's sales. My hope is Carrie just puts out her best music on the next album no matter what happens.

Jade_kt

They are probably tired of her stealing the limelight from them. So best to ignore her like she doesn't exist. Sorry Carrie has too many fans to just go away. She will continue on w/ what she has been doing, so long as her label supports her.

cyberzoney

If country music returned to it's 'roots', younger listeners would flee in mass including many on this board. Country music is enjoying a renewed presence in the world of music due to it's current contemporay and almost popish sound. I doubt that the powers to be would want that to go away. The masses bring revenue and nobody wants that to change. Carrie may sound more old style country than others but her music, in general, is still very contemporary.