Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Country Universe: If we ran the CMAs

Smokyiiis

If We Ran The CMA Awards (2018 Edition)? ? Country Universe

[FONT=&quot]Our picks for 2018![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Carrie-Underwood-Cry-Pretty-Banner.jpg
Entertainer of the Year

Garth Brooks
Eric Church
Miranda Lambert
Chris Stapleton
Carrie Underwood[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I can basically copy-paste what we said about this category in 2016: “We’ve been crowing for years about Underwood’s lack of nominations in this category, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that we included her here.” We’d vote her in unanimously, which was also the case for Church, Lambert, and Stapleton. Brooks continues to struggle to find traction at radio as part of his un-retirement, but he remains one of the genre’s most captivating live performers… as long as you don’t ask Church’s opinion about lip syncing at an awards show, that is.[/FONT]

Smokyiiis

They are not happy campers over there with the second round picks across the board. They would also pick CRY PRETTY in song.

Farawayhills

That the CMA have never nominated a woman for Musician of the Year in any year of their existence, while the IBMA (who can safely be said to know something about instrumentation) have nominated five in this year alone, is certainly something to question.

It's a wider issue than the voters, of course - Mainstream lead artists feature far more men than women in their bands, while the Festival audience is far more used to and receptive of women players, who consequently have more opportunity to come to the notice of voters. But it's not due to lack of talent among those women who still persevere with the Mainstream.

As an example, this video shows something of the production and multi-instrument skills of Alex Kline (the actual music begins at 2-12, after a short interview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2IXM6lq1XQ

mgbjr

Interesting that they chose to pick CP for Single but not Song, as I believe CP was a fantastically written piece of work.

Farawayhills

A Song of the Year nomination would be a first for her at the CMA - and I'm sure that would mean a lot to her. I think the involvement of her Love Junkie co-writers could help garner votes too

It's her first official foray as a producer, so I'd like to see her get a recording nomination as well. (She has won Single at the CMA before, and also gained an earlier nomination - though in those days, she was not producing.) It's a tough call between Song and Single, though I particularly admire the structure and innovative production values of the recording, particularly the strong attention given to blending the music and the vocal into a complementary whole - so if I had to choose, I think I'd make Single my preference

mgbjr

A Song of the Year nomination would be a first for her at the CMA - and I'm sure that would mean a lot to her. I think the involvement of her Love Junkie co-writers could help garner votes too

It's her first official foray as a producer, so I'd like to see her get a recording nomination as well. (She has won Single at the CMA before, and also gained an earlier nomination - though in those days, she was not producing.) It's a tough call between Song and Single, though I particularly admire the structure and innovative production values of the recording, particularly the strong attention given to blending the music and the vocal into a complementary whole - so if I had to choose, I think I'd make Single my preference

I'll always be surprised she hasn't ever been nominated for Song after JTTW, SS, JAD, TH, BA, TBC, SYA, LTG, SITW, and CB. Every single one of those songs deserved to be nominated. They didn't have to win, but at least a nomination. I know she didn't write JTTW, JAD, BA, or CB so she wouldn't be awarded those anyways, however they're all wonderfully written songs.

Either way, I would love to see her be nominate for Song of the Year for CP. Single would also be nice as it would be the first nom in that category since BHC... again shocked some other songs i,e BA, GG, CC etc were never nominated

Country music politics... grrr!

liz278

It seems like they really don't think of her as a songwriter. This is where I think they have her pigeon holed. But I am hoping since she wrote with the "love Junkies" and they are all viewed as the best, that maybe she will make her way into a nomination.

adam1995

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it in both categories. Given the history though, I'd be surprised by both, and I'd think Song is the better fit for "Cry Pretty".

I'll always be surprised she hasn't ever been nominated for Song after JTTW, SS, JAD, TH, BA, TBC, SYA, LTG, SITW, and CB. Every single one of those songs deserved to be nominated. They didn't have to win, but at least a nomination. I know she didn't write JTTW, JAD, BA, or CB so she wouldn't be awarded those anyways, however they're all wonderfully written songs.

Either way, I would love to see her be nominate for Song of the Year for CP. Single would also be nice as it would be the first nom in that category since BHC... again shocked some other songs i,e BA, GG, CC etc were never nominated

Country music politics... grrr!

I hate to ask this,but could someone remind what the difference is between song & single of the year?I know someone on here a long time ago told me the difference between the two & I forgot what the distinguishing characteristics of them were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

countrymusicfan15

I hate to ask this,but could someone remind what the difference is between song & single of the year?I know someone on here a long time ago told me the difference between the two & I forgot what the distinguishing characteristics of them were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Song is awarded to the song writers, and Single is awarded to the artist and producer. So generally, chart performance and sales are more of a factor for Single whereas songwriting is the bigger factor in Song of the Year

mbh

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it in both categories. Given the history though, I'd be surprised by both, and I'd think Song is the better fit for "Cry Pretty".

I agree. Very well written song. And I want all the songwriters including Carrie to go up the stage and say "Thank You". Come on UMG - CAMPAIGN hard!

LilUnderwood

I’m just ready for her to win Entertainer of the Year! The people who are nominated are good performers but I’m so over the same people winning and being nominated. It’s time for some girl power!