Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cry Pretty Album Booklet Scans

luxoricious

Thank you!
Amazing booklet!
Love that she puts so much love on this.
Hopefully no more Play On booklets for us fans =D

Farawayhills

Thanks for the scans, Louisa!

We get full musician credits for each individual track (something that's often been missing before). That seems a sign that Carrie is taking the evolution of her sound more seriously in this era, and wants listeners to have the possibility of more detailed examination of how each track was produced.

We already knew that Holly Williams was singing on Ghosts - but Ben Haggard is also playing guitar. That means that Hank's granddaughter and Merle's son both take part in a song that evokes their families - a really cool touch.

Ivey Childers (a close friend, and Mark's wife) is singing on "Southbound" - also a nice gesture!

Some of Carrie's studio session players have been a constant feature on most, or in some cases, I think, even all, of her albums. That degree of continuity is also a sign of an artist taking her music seriously, rather than just letting the production team call in available players.

Josh

Thanks for the scans, Louisa!

We get full musician credits for each individual track (something that's often been missing before). That seems a sign that Carrie is taking the evolution of her sound more seriously in this era, and wants listeners to have the possibility of more detailed examination of how each track was produced.

We already knew that Holly Williams was singing on Ghosts - but Ben Haggard is also playing guitar. That means that Hank's granddaughter and Merle's son both take part in a song that evokes their families - a really cool touch.

Ivey Childers (a close friend, and Mark's wife) is singing on "Southbound" - also a nice gesture!

Some of Carrie's studio session players have been a constant feature on most, or in some cases, I think, even all, of her albums. That degree of continuity is also a sign of an artist taking her music seriously, rather than just letting the production team call in available players.

I love that she included them on Ghosts!! It makes the song that much more meaningful and a true work of art. I feel like this is the best thing she's ever done and I hope records in the future will have her put this much attention into her craft. I also hope after she's done with this more pop era she can do something more traditional at some point, if that's her thing. Like, a more country version of Storyteller but with the heart of some songs on Cry Pretty.

Farawayhills

In the booklet, she also thanks Steve Hinson (playing steel guitar), together with Holly and Ben, for helping to keep some legends' alive and well. I don't think Steve Hinson had a family connection - but he did play steel with George Jones (as he has with many other Country legends). As well as Carrie's regulars, those three do mark a special connection with the long stream of Country tradition - and it's certainly not a given that they would appear on stylistically mixed contemporary albums.

A special mention should also be made of Brian Sutton (who has also played with the Dixie Chicks, among many others). He's arguably the most respected flatpicked acoustic guitarist today, who has won Guitar Player of the Year ten times at the IBMA, as well as the 2007 Grammy for Best Country Instrumental Performance. His website describes him as "an innovator who bridges the bluegrass flatpicking traditions of the 20th century with the dynamic roots music scene of the 21st" It's a flow of elements tradition from some of the earlier strands of roots Music to modern progressive innovation, which is often misunderstood, but which I think some of the songs on Carrie's album are aiming to show.

Last edited: