Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Dec 5] The Sound of Music Live! (Official Discussion Thread)

ethelu

Craig Zadan Retweeted

JesusChristSuperstar

Verified account

@JCSTheMusical
3h3 hours ago
More
Do you want to know who will be making up the Jesus Christ Superstar Live! cast on @NBC?
Something tells us that you will want to be in the room where it happens...

Hamilton's Brandon Victor Dixon to Star as Judas In NBC?s Live Jesus Christ Superstar | Playbill

Hamilton alum Brandon Victor Dixon will star as Judas in NBC’s live broadcast of Jesus Christ Superstar. He joins the previously announced John Legend as Jesus, Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene, and Alice Cooper as King Herod.

M_Butterfly_Broadway_Opening_Night_Party_2017_21_HR.jpg
Jin Ha Joseph Marzullo/WENN
Also joining the cast of the upcoming concert production are Tony Nominees Ben Daniels (Les Liasons Dangereuses) as Pontius Pilate and Norm Lewis (Once on This Island) as Caiaphas, Broadway actor Jason Tam (Les Miserables) as Peter, M. Butterfly's Jin Ha as Annas, and Swedish musician Erik Gronwall as Simon Zealotes.

maddkat

Staff member
^ why don't they dump Lopez and put the show on in December. Not like she's gonna draw an audience.

ethelu

^ why don't they dump Lopez and put the show on in December. Not like she's gonna draw an audience.

Lol, well, somebody must like her, for her to be so busy. Personally, I like her better as an actress than a singer. I think she brought the idea to Neil and Craig, and she's also a producer, if I recall, correctly. I think it's a good idea if they keep the December musical going. They could play SOML, again, but, I said that last December, and they didn't.

maddkat

Staff member
anybody watch JCS? The staging was just weird and John Legend was not close to being up to the task of a rock musical(his voice just doesn't have that edge, plus he didn't have the stage presence),but that music....wow.It's amazing so even a weak cast couldn't bring it down.I love it.

DaisyTweets

Before it started I couldn't help but think to myself, just think look at what has followed from the brave decision of Carrie Underwood. And it was a brave decision and she succeeded and look what has happened since the SOML!!!!

That being said, I watched for a little bit but then I switched the channel. From what I did watch, I know I thought wonder what the budget for this production was compared to SOML. And if SOML would've had the rehearsal time this production had, it would've been even more amazing. SOML started this revival of 'live' musicals!!!!

I'll be curious to see what the ratings are for JCSS.

hjj

They are just really fortunate that Carrie pulled it off with so little rehearsal. Good for SOML.

maddkat

Staff member
JCS had solid early overnight rating 6 rating /10 share, on par with NBC's Hairspray
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...-superstar-leads-sunday-early-numbers-1098872

Before it started I couldn't help but think to myself, just think look at what has followed from the brave decision of Carrie Underwood. And it was a brave decision and she succeeded and look what has happened since the SOML!!!!

That being said, I watched for a little bit but then I switched the channel. From what I did watch, I know I thought wonder what the budget for this production was compared to SOML. And if SOML would've had the rehearsal time this production had, it would've been even more amazing. SOML started this revival of 'live' musicals!!!!

this mention should make you happy :)

"Compared to NBC's last live production, Hairspray in December 2016, the show was essentially flat. That show ultimately fetched a middling 9 million viewers, after first scoring a 5.9 overnight rating, ranking last among contemporary TV musical stagings. NBC fared much better in 2013 and 2015 — with The Sound of Music and The Wiz, respectively. (Nothing has ever approached The Sound of Music's 18.6 million viewers.)"

Smokyiiis

I watched portions of it on you-tube and can agree that John Legend (whose voice I normally love) wasn't up to this type of music and Cooper was fantastic. LOL

DaisyTweets

What do suppose the reason why NONE of the other live musical productions has come even close to matching the numbers of SOML????? I have my answer (Carrie) but I'm curious of other's thoughts.

ethelu

I watched portions of it on you-tube and can agree that John Legend (whose voice I normally love) wasn't up to this type of music and Cooper was fantastic. LOL

I had to DVR it, yesterday, so I'll be watching it, tonight. I've seen a lot of great comments about it, too, but either way, I'm looking forward to it, because the music is so great. I'm glad it has gotten solid ratings, because I love that they continue to do these live musicals.

ethelu

I love that it all started with Carrie.

maddkat

Staff member
What do suppose the reason why NONE of the other live musical productions has come even close to matching the numbers of SOML????? I have my answer (Carrie) but I'm curious of other's thoughts.

I think part of the huge audience was the novelty.People wanted to see what it was all about.Now the fact they ALL stayed till the end? That was Carrie. :)

Smokyiiis

Another reason is likely just the extreme popularity of THE SOUND OF MUSIC film. Likely the most popular of all the musicals done so far. I'd still like to see a live version of Hello, Dolly

ethelu

Another reason is likely just the extreme popularity of THE SOUND OF MUSIC film. Likely the most popular of all the musicals done so far. I'd still like to see a live version of Hello, Dolly

Very true. I can't think of another musical that is so universally loved.

Hello, Dolly would be a great choice, but I'm not sure how much it would attract a younger audience, which seems to be the demographic that they're always hoping to get.

DaisyTweets

I love that it all started with Carrie.
Me too!!! And as I said in a prior post it was her bravery in making her decision to do it. She could've easily said no. And if she had, I can't think of another artist that I would've watched not matter how much I love the SOM. To be truthful, I haven't completely watched a 'live' production since SOML. Either the musical or the people involved didn't pique my interest enough to watch. Or like last night, I started to watch but than changed the channel.

liz278

I had it on, because I love the music. I didn't love it, but it wasn't horrible. I also agree that John Legend's voice didn't have the grittiness I would like for some of the songs. I did like Sara Bareilles and I enjoyed Alice Cooper.

For the most part SOML had the best cast. They were good to great singers. The kids were awesome, so that combination made it fun to watch.

txacar

Me too!!! And as I said in a prior post it was her bravery in making her decision to do it. She could've easily said no. And if she had, I can't think of another artist that I would've watched not matter how much I love the SOM. To be truthful, I haven't completely watched a 'live' production since SOML. Either the musical or the people involved didn't pique my interest enough to watch. Or like last night, I started to watch but than changed the channel.

I didn't watch. Agree with everything previously posted about TSOML -- it was the first and presented a gigantic challenge to air it totally live. Was JCST live? If so, I believe it is the first without taped portions since TSOML.

I also agree that Carrie's bravery in going after that role is amazing, considering her limited stage/acting experience. Yet, Ann said when she proposed it to Carrie she jumped at it and said without hesitation she wanted to be considered for the part. Zero time spent considering, lol, and the rest is history. I still love it -- watch at least once/year and play the CD very often, especially when I'm in the car.

_luvqry

1) It was the first
2) The SOM is a true classic. I can't think of any other musical that is so loved. Maybe Singing in the Rain?
3) It worked. I can't remember feeling bored or tired watching it. I think the cast had good chemistry.
4) Carrie ;)