Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Denim and Rhinestone Tour

Smokyiiis

Underwood also had a few surprise guests ready for Music City: early on in the evening, the crowd’s cheers reached a fever-pitch as Jason Aldean joined Underwood for their multi-week No. 1, Grammy-nominated hit “If I Didn’t Love You.”

Underwood’s time on the satellite stage saw the reunion of “Paisleywood,” as Brad Paisley joined her onstage and the two quickly resumed a tradition well-remembered from their 11-year tenure as co-hosts of the CMA Awards—a quirky song filled with witty zingers.

In this case, they poked fun at the 2022 CMA Awards co-hosts, Luke Bryan and NFL legend Peyton Manning, with Underwood singing that Paisley was funnier than Bryan, and Paisley returning the jab and telling Underwood that she was “Prettier than Peyton.” They continued in song in earnest, singing, “I know you’ve missed us, We’ve missed you, too/ Let’s have some fun at Bridgestone Arena, like we used to do,” before Paisley tucked in a humorous nod to the tour’s title, with a lyric about wearing rhinestone “underoos.” “Paisleywood” followed with their 2011 hit, the sensuous “Remind Me.”

Underwood welcomed tour opener Jimmie Allen back to the stage for “Denim & Rhinestones,” as Underwood and “Freedom Was a Highway” hitmaker Allen shared choreographed dance moves.

Underwood, a Grand Ole Opry member who commandeered a medley of classic country songs from various eras on the ACMs in 2020, is the same artist who released the faith-centric project My Savior and Christmas album My Gift, and embraced her love of rock, welcoming Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose during her Stagecoach Festival set last year, sang with Aerosmith on the ACM Awards and performed with Joan Jett during CMA Fest. At Bridgestone, some of her concert’s most stunning moments were her rock-edged songs, such as when she prowled the stage with consummate swagger during “Poor Everybody Else,” and pummeled a drum set, before tossing the drumsticks and retaking control of the mic.

lots more at link…great review

Smokyiiis

Still, the most compelling portion of the concert—the heart of the show beyond even the songs, high-octane voice, special guests and sizzling production—was simply Underwood herself. The singer-songwriter radiated a pure joy and a full-throttle, energetic passion—hallmarks of an entertainer in full command of her artistry.

my favorite part of the review

rcramer

As I sat at the tour last Saturday, I said this/she would be a perfect half time show. Truly one of a kind and that goes for all of the music industry.

these write ups just reinforce that.... True testimony and a witnessing of how GREAT she is...

Smokyiiis

This one includes the CMA banter stuff at the beginning though I myself had a hard time understanding all of it. Will have to listen again!

Michael Reid

That seemed like a great review. Where was he digging on her?
Say how she wasn’t perfect, on Last Name, but because of it made it better. Then calling out that Ghost Story and Hate My Heart haven’t transcended like her other singles in the past and we’re the one or two of the flat points of the show, due to unfamiliarity and once she got past that part she was flying high. Calling out that D&R tour wasn’t as big as the spectacle that Cry Pretty Tour was..

adam1995

Say how she wasn’t perfect, on Last Name, but because of it made it better. Then calling out that Ghost Story and Hate My Heart haven’t transcended like her other singles in the past and we’re the one or two of the flat points of the show, due to unfamiliarity and once she got past that part she was flying high. Calling out that D&R tour wasn’t as big as the spectacle that Cry Pretty Tour was..
So, he mentioned "Last Name" was exactly perfect, was was even better that way is a dig? Then stating the fact that her two most recent singles haven't connected as much, which is true, is a dig?

I think you guys are just looking for a negative review. He was incredibly complimentary, regardless of any incredibly small criticisms he may have had. Not every review or even show she does is going to be pristine perfect.

Smokyiiis

Carrie Underwood at Madison Square Garden / February 21, 2023​

Everynight Charley Crespo
Concerts
March 1, 2023

The production costs of Carrie Underwood’s Denim & Rhinestones Tour must have gone through the proverbial roof. At Madison Square Garden, the visually arresting staging and carefully-timed lighting, video projection, fire, sparks, smoke, and other props occurred every few minutes. Underwood stood on hydraulic lifts that raised her high above her musicians or sank her below the stage where she quickly changed wardrobe. She played guitar and drums, with the drums also appearing and vanishing on a hydraulic platform. She rode high above her fans aboard elaborate trapeze-like aerial contraptions across the arena to perform at a smaller B stage, then flew back across the arena again to continue the show on the main stage. Most spectacular of all was how she maintained a remarkably strong vocal range through the nearly two-hour performance. Carrie Underwood’s concert was a class act and a spectacle.
Even before she or supporting act Jimmie Allen took the stage, the audience could see the magnitude of the production. Multiple large screens above the main stage would allow for video projections. Narrow walkways stretched from the main stage to the 100-level seats on the left and right of the main stage. More dramatically, the stage’s extra-long, diamond-shaped, step-down extension was in touching distance of the fans standing all the way to the middle of the arena floor.
The concert tour, which began in 2022, promotes Underwood’s ninth studio album, Denim & Rhinestones, released on June 10 of that year. The setlist includes eight songs from that album, at least one song from almost all of her previous albums, and a few surprises. Most of the songs were constructed to build to vocal crescendos, and Underwood’s soaring and powerful voice indeed dominated each song.
One cannot underplay the spectacles, however. White streamers shot from the ceiling into the fans in the stands as Underwood arose from underneath the stage for the first time. On “Undo It,” Underwood approached the audience on the arena floor, singing into a rhinestone-encrusted megaphone. On “If I Didn’t Love You,” a track originally recorded as a duet with Jason Aldean, Underwood sang her parts live under a massive video projection of Aldean singing his parts. Rows of flames lined the edges of the catwalk as she belted “Burn.” She heartily banged on a full drum kit that materialized at the end of “Poor Everybody Else.” Underwood and Allen sang “Denim & Rhinestones” as a duet with the two entertainers dancing with the fans at the edges of the lower stage.
P1370633-Carrie-Underwood.jpg

P1370636-Carrie-Underwood.jpg

P1370713-Carrie-Underwood.jpg

P1370828-Carrie-Underwood.jpg
P1370752-Carrie-Underwood.jpg
P1370902-Carrie-Underwood.jpg

P1370864-Carrie-Underwood.jpg

P1370927-Carrie-Underwood.jpg

P1370942-Carrie-Underwood.jpg

Photos by Everynight Charley
Most impressively, Underwood floated over the audience from the front to the back of the arena on a pink floral swing while singing “Ghost Story.” Surrounding the smaller B stage, columns of light shined to the ceiling. She gently landed on the platform, strapped an electric guitar over her shoulder, and began to sing “Two Black Cadillacs.” She then played an acoustic guitar while singing “Garden.” She turned to her debut album and her gospel album singing “Jesus, Take the Wheel” with a snippet of “How Great Thou Art” before riding across the arena again, this time dangling from a ball-shaped web of metal rings while singing “Crazy Angels.”
Underwood’s encore started with her wearing a black leather biker jacket featuring a Guns N’ Roses logo emblazoned on the back. Her own band launched into a cover of GNR’s “Welcome to the Jungle.” If Underwood was proving that she is as much a rocker as a country pop singer, this rousing interpretation was convincingly raucous. Underwood may have country pop roots, but she breathes classic rock.
How does Carrie Underwood do this massive affair night after night? Her performance appeared to be both vocally and physically strenuous. Throughout the concert, she allowed herself little time for a breather. Anytime she left the stage, she rapidly returned wearing a new outfit to belt out another powerhouse song. Live, Underwood was unparalleled; she is both a remarkable music artist and a top-shelf entertainer.