Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elle article on women in Country (2 quotes from Carrie)

Farawayhills

This article, from the November issue of Elle magazine, gives a wide ranging summary of the difficulties facing women in the genre, especially with regard to radio.
https://www.elle.com/culture/music/a23677164/women-nashville-music-times-up-cmt-radio/

It includes references to Kalie Shorr, a young artist I have followed for some time, who is co-founder, and frequent anchor, of the weekly live showcase for female singer/songwriters, Song Suffragettes; and also to other ventures within the Nashville community, including the campaign to fight sexual harassment. It also mentions the work of Devarati Ghosh (whom we knew as Windmills)

Carrie is quoted twice in the article:

"I think it’s really great that there’s fan advocacy and social media support around women in country music, because there are so many incredible female artists who, for some reason, are not being given a chance. We are told time and time again that the women listeners who make up the majority of country music radio listeners don’t want to hear other women on the radio, which I think is not true. Growing up, it was incredibly important to hear strong, amazing, talented women on the radio. It let me know that I could do that, too.”

What has gotten the most notice, though, is Carrie Underwood’s Cry Pretty Tour 360, specifically, her decision to bring an all-female lineup—Maddie & Tae and Runaway June—on the road with her. Underwood says her choice was based on her desire to give young talent a boost, adding, “It’s really wonderful to see female artists supporting each other. That is one amazing thing that has come out of the lack of females being supported in country music: We are all rallying together.”

Less happily, Keith Hill, the radio consultant who made the "tomato" comparison has made further controversial comments:

Hill says the declining number of women on country radio is a direct result of SaladGate, not because of his comments, but rather the protest in the wake of them. “The efforts on the part of females to get more females played on country radio have actually caused the numbers to go down,” he says. “The metric always existed. All I did was give voice to it.” He suggests that the reason women don’t want to hear women is, in fact, biological. “Women have ears that hear the higher range,” he says, and the higher frequency of women’s voices is “an irritant” to them."

(Seriously?? )

DaisyTweets

Is there a way to find out which stations this guy programs for?? He really is an idiot. You wonder why people let him talk. He just digs his hole deeper and deeper and deeper.