Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghost Story chart updates

The Nanook

I know it's early but I'm a bit surprised to see Carrie at #5 on iTunes and Nicki Minaj's and Normani's new ones already at #1 and 2. I guess Carrie has never had a major immediate impact upon release and usually climbs more throughout release day/week. Also it looks like they aren't bothering with an ad on the iTunes homepage for featured releases. I suppose the costs outweigh the benefits for iTunes nowadays, but would have thought they'd go all out for the new single given the length of time since the last album era and UMG's goals when Carrie first signed on. I guess they're using that budget for Spotify placement. Not sure how labels advertise new music these days.

I stand corrected, GS is at #3 now =] That's better. Now let's see if she can overtake Normani and Nicki. iTunes placement/sales are still small fry in the grand scheme of things, but would be nice to keep up the tradition.

Last edited:

FanSince04

I know it's early but I'm a bit surprised to see Carrie at #5 on iTunes and Nicki Minaj's and Normani's new ones already at #1 and 2. I guess Carrie has never had a major immediate impact upon release and usually climbs more throughout release day/week. Also it looks like they aren't bothering with an ad on the iTunes homepage for featured releases. I suppose the costs outweigh the benefits for iTunes nowadays, but would have thought they'd go all out for the new single given the length of time since the last album era and UMG's goals when Carrie first signed on. I guess they're using that budget for Spotify placement. Not sure how labels advertise new music these days.

I stand corrected, GS is at #3 now =] That's better. Now let's see if she can overtake Normani and Nicki. iTunes placement/sales are still small fry in the grand scheme of things, but would be nice to keep up the tradition.
Patience my friend 😊

GS now sits at #3 all genre

simonplay

Well, Minaj fans are obsessed with charts and there are two fan bases buying the song.
And Normani performed the song on TV today already.

Carrie is doing amazing so far with just a announcement.

Michael Reid

I feared this would be the case with Normani and Nicki, Similar fan bases. This is normani’s first single in a couple years to. The one thing both Nicki and Normani have in common is a huge immediate push and then they have a fast fall and crash. Carrie has longevity, plus either of those 2 songs will get hardly any airplay, Carrie has the iHeart deal, plus stations will throw it into rotation, immediately. iTunes tracking website hasn’t updated in almost 5 hours were Carrie was still in the 60’s. We can get a better sense when it updates again. Let’s go Ghost Story and to the new ERA!!!!

gagacasanova

Overall, it's not a bad song, it's a grower. I'm still getting warmed up to it. I see it as a Cry Pretty & Blown Away hybrid. They need to send this to Adult Contemporary & Adult Top 40 radio. It definitely has the sound for it.

Patkid26

Saw someone on Twitter say they are filming the music video tomorrow; not sure if it’s true
On her interview with Storme Warren today on SXM he said she was filming it tomorrow and she clarified that they were “leaving” tomorrow to go film it. So I assume that means she won’t be shooting it in Nashville, but perhaps somewhere on the way to Vegas or in Vegas?

The Nanook

Worked out for both ladies. Nicki's fans get her the #1 right upon release then as people's work days wind down more people are learning that Carrie has new music out. However Nicki's release came with the music video and already has half a million views after 4 hours and is probably doing well on other streaming services too. The lyric video for GS is at 60,000 after 17 hours.

Very odd that they didn't release the GS music video today (and apparently haven't even filmed it yet?!). Suggests they are going for a more gradual chart climb with a MV release for additional momentum later. That was normal for singles 5+ years ago but that strategy seems so atypical nowadays, particularly for a lead single, when streaming is king and I would think you would want those views accumulating the whole chart run and not just towards the end. Music videos still need time for editing too. Interesting strategy, not sure I get it but I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Hil

Worked out for both ladies. Nicki's fans get her to #1 right upon release then as people's work day winds down more people are learning that Carrie has new music out. Nicki's collab also has a music video out and already has half a million views after 4 hours and is probably doing well on other streaming services too. The lyric video for GS is at 60,000 after 17 hours.
It's amazing to me there are that many people in the world who want to hear Nicki Manaj lol No offense to anyone.

Michael Reid

Nicki’s fan are pissed and are wanting their fans to go crazy for her after losing the top spot on twitter. They are all like who the f*** is Carrie and who is buying her songs lol. Short tempers with them.
Another thing I read on twitter and makes perfect sense. The Infinity symbol in her name this time around, could be the symbol for the Double Album we all have been speculating and wanting!!!!

The Nanook

Well Nicki is doing way better on streaming anyway and will probably get a higher overall Billboard Hot 100 debut. If Carrie charts there it will be attributed mainly to airplay. #1 on iTunes is nice for the bragging rights but again does't really mean much anymore unless you're selling 100,000+ copies.

Actually I realized Nicki's song has an explicit and non-explicit version. So adding up sales for both Nicki's song is actually selling almost exactly the same as GS, at least as of the last update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hil

CU4ever

Cry Pretty, the album, beat all the pop stars' albums in its first week sales. Now CU7 era is starting off with Carrie beating out more big pop artists. She has so much chart power that goes so not talked about.
3CD95A2E-6D17-4EE8-A021-417B8F18C984.jpeg

Last edited: