Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghost Story chart updates

Zach1998

In the end a top 5 peak is very good for this. It's consumer interest has really dwindled, I honestly feel like consumer interest was larger for Drinking Alone, being the fourth single, from an album with weak radio reception. Hope Hate My Heart turns things around, like Southbound did last era.

CU4ever

In the end a top 5 peak is very good for this. It's consumer interest has really dwindled, I honestly feel like consumer interest was larger for Drinking Alone, being the fourth single, from an album with weak radio reception. Hope Hate My Heart turns things around, like Southbound did last era.
Not to mention, it was the highest solo female peak this year, so radio definitely appreciated it somewhat. Am I happy that songs like 'with a woman you love' got to sneak in a #1 when GS deserved it just as much or more? No, but we are used to this sadly.

I still am not 100% certain HMH garners much consumer interest or radio airplay, but I hope I'm wrong there. It's gonna be 7 years by the time HMH peaks since a big hit for Carrie and that's 6.5 years too long lol

CU4ever

GS rises to its new - and final peak - of #6 (+2) on Billboard this week.

Second highest peak (post Southbound) since the Storyteller era and an overall very decent number to peak at!

Next up: a #1 on both charts!

CU4ever

UMG does indeed know how to do some great pushes.

On billboard, this week +2.979M audience (almost a +3M audience gain!), most increased audience for the week.

missed top 5 by 1.6M, so it wasn’t really possible77CE3707-92C0-4E9A-9A8B-128D28053A53.jpeg

Momin

From Miranda's recent interview, she talks about radio and long chart runs, something we've discussed here a lot:

I have one of those careers that some songs just pick themselves to stand out. I like to watch that happen. Kind of like “Actin’ Up” is now. “Strange” is my radio single, but all the streaming services prefer “Actin’ Up.” The more the merrier to me. I don’t care anymore. I just have had such a weird relationship with radio this whole time anyway. I actually prefer for radio and the label to tell me what they think, because I want it to work. Then the streaming services pick their own thing. I would like for as many of these songs to be heard, whatever way they can be. Why not? Nowadays, too, the singles on the country radio take so long. I mean, “Settling Down” took 11 months to get to the top five, and I’m like, Well then, that just shoved out other songs because there’s not time. So I’m all about however they can be heard, let’s put them out there.

Michael Reid

So speaking of chart runs. A local radio station here in Boston did an interview with Ryan Tedder from One Republic and they talked about how hits aren’t like they used to. Before you were able to listen to a song, and instantly know this is going to be a #1. Even songwriters and radio people. Now and since the pandemic it’s all changed. Ryan made a comment about how you can’t just write a good/great song and be like this is a hit or going to be a number 1 because when it comes out regardless how great a song is, if it doesn’t fit in during that time frame, or have something to call it up the charts. Good or not it can fail.
His prime example was Lizzo’s About Damn Time, that was a song when the music industry heard it, they knew it was a hit. But then it debuted in the 60s its first week. Fell off the charts the second week. She went on SNL and performed it, and it dropped more. 2 weeks after it was released the label was moving on to the next single. Then someone posted the now infamous tik tok dance, from the 2nd verse, and it soared up the charts. Then became the song of the summer and the hit everyone thought it would be in the first place. It’s all about timing and making something happen around it to push it through.

Reactions: Hil

Hil

So speaking of chart runs. A local radio station here in Boston did an interview with Ryan Tedder from One Republic and they talked about how hits aren’t like they used to. Before you were able to listen to a song, and instantly know this is going to be a #1. Even songwriters and radio people. Now and since the pandemic it’s all changed. Ryan made a comment about how you can’t just write a good/great song and be like this is a hit or going to be a number 1 because when it comes out regardless how great a song is, if it doesn’t fit in during that time frame, or have something to call it up the charts. Good or not it can fail.
His prime example was Lizzo’s About Damn Time, that was a song when the music industry heard it, they knew it was a hit. But then it debuted in the 60s its first week. Fell off the charts the second week. She went on SNL and performed it, and it dropped more. 2 weeks after it was released the label was moving on to the next single. Then someone posted the now infamous tik tok dance, from the 2nd verse, and it soared up the charts. Then became the song of the summer and the hit everyone thought it would be in the first place. It’s all about timing and making something happen around it to push it through.
I feel like pop is a little different than country. I do think things can blow up on tic tok, but it seems like the old guard is still in charge of who gets to go to the penthouse. I could be wrong.

bigd79

I don’t know what the right answer is, but the absolute LAST thing i want is that stupid tik tok app determining what hits in country music. Especially if that trash song fancy like is any indication what the kids are into. That and most of the tik tok trendy songs in pop (the ones that i have heard at least) i pretty much have hated all of them. Yuck. I’m too old for that nonsense. (And im only in my 40s)
One of these days the youngsters will get sick of tik tok, right? 🙏

CU4ever

Unfortunately, Tiktok 100% guides what Pop radio plays, and when a country song blows up, it does the same for country. And I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want Carrie to have a viral tiktok song. Simply Because it does make hits - sales streaming and airplay wise - things Carrie is lacking in lately as her team isn’t pushing them

CU4ever

We really need to give UMG credit with its GS promo. It’s clear radio was absolutely done with it, as it fell like a sack of bricks on both charts this week, 5-20 on mediabase and 6- off the chart on billboard. It’s not even on the recurrent chart on billboard (IIDLY - STILL is). So they definitely did a good job pushing it, and radio is the problem

Momin

Carrie usually doesn't announce a new one immediately. Her team always waits a moment before announcing the next one.