Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Going Country Means Big Bucks For Pop Stars"

pklongbeach

I'm honestly not sure I can really swallow that.
Beiber and Gaga are two inparticular that don't seem the type to need any country cred.
It won't hurt Gaga a bit as she is making a name for herself as a eclectic performer. But Beiber does not seem right testing those waters. It feels too gimmicky.
I am one who still believes that switching genres like that tends to smack either "greedy" or the person has gone stagnant where they are.

Carrieflattsfan

Well, to be fair, I don't think Beiber and Gaga were good examples to use as pop stars gone country. Justin asked Rascal Flatts to perform his song "That Should Be Me" with him, but that's as far as he's stepped in country. Gaga always does remixes of her songs- as they always do in pop music. It's not surprising in the least to see her do this. Just because someone wants to experiment with an artist from another genre doesn't mean they want to be in country music.

I think the article was talking about people who are not experimenting, but trying to simply make a profit & start over in country music.

Jessica Simpson, Darius Rucker, Jewel, Michelle Branch, Kid Rock and Bon Jovi have all tried to "make it" in country music. Even Kelly Clarkson has done a few country songs, after her duet with Reba, and not being as successful as she once was in the pop world.

Thankfully, country fans are quick & smart enough to decide who they do/don't want in country music very quickly. I think the flop success stories of by so many pop artists who have tried to go country proves that it's NOT as easy to get into country music and it seems, and it doesn't mean people will accept you as a genuine country artist just because you couldn't make it in pop.

bigbluegrl23

it annoys me though when people are like "o its so easy to make it in country, thats why it sucks" even other singers clearly think that. the fact of the matter is though that Carrie Underwood and Darius Rucker (more in darius' case but carrie gets thrown it too) are the only ones that have done anything meaningful. Jessica Simpson, Jewel, Michelle Branch (ehh she kinda did), Kid Rock (he hasnt the success that all these appearances make it out to be), Julianne Hough. All of them came for 2 seconds and then vanished. Country fans smell a fake soo quickly. Kellie Pickler is great but she hasnt been that embraced. Just because Carrie Underwood came from idol and became the country star (man or woman) of this generation, doesnt mean everyone can do that. Carrie was divine intervention.
becca T

CarrieFan928

Well, to be fair, I don't think Beiber and Gaga were good examples to use as pop stars gone country. Justin asked Rascal Flatts to perform his song "That Should Be Me" with him, but that's as far as he's stepped in country. Gaga always does remixes of her songs- as they always do in pop music. It's not surprising in the least to see her do this. Just because someone wants to experiment with an artist from another genre doesn't mean they want to be in country music.

I think the article was talking about people who are not experimenting, but trying to simply make a profit & start over in country music.

Jessica Simpson, Darius Rucker, Jewel, Michelle Branch, Kid Rock and Bon Jovi have all tried to "make it" in country music. Even Kelly Clarkson has done a few country songs, after her duet with Reba, and not being as successful as she once was in the pop world.

Thankfully, country fans are quick & smart enough to decide who they do/don't want in country music very quickly. I think the flop success stories of by so many pop artists who have tried to go country proves that it's NOT as easy to get into country music and it seems, and it doesn't mean people will accept you as a genuine country artist just because you couldn't make it in pop.
Agreed. But Kelly doesn't really want to cross-over to country, she just has an appreciation for the genre since she grew up in Texas. Kelly is labeled pop but she's doesn't really have a single genre. Something critics always note is her versatility. Kelly has sung R&B (Thankful), pop-rock (Breakaway), dark-rockish (My December), fun pop (All I Ever Wanted), country (Don't You Wanna Stay, Because of You), etc. I think Kelly just happens to be so amazing that everyone wants her as a duet partner.