Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got into Oxford!

I can't wait for Idol Carrie to know your great news. She will be very proud of her fans like you.
Certainly you can go to her concert if her tour is held in London. Can't you wait for her signature?

clh_hilary

Wow, aweome! This news really inspires us.
What will you study in Oxford?
Do you want to live in Hong Kong or England after finishing your study?
Best of luck

Thanks.

Master of Science in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition.

I think most likely I will come back to Hong Kong, but I definitely wouldn't mind staying in England though my ideal place of living is Australia.

clh_hilary

I can't wait for Idol Carrie to know your great news. She will be very proud of her fans like you.
Certainly you can go to her concert if her tour is held in London. Can't you wait for her signature?

I suppose she will as the fact that she completed her degree even after she's made it big showed that she does care about education.

Yes, certainly I can as Oxford is very close to London.

I was actually planned to read in Sydney when she was about to tour there, but unfortunately needed to delay it for a year (and changed to Brisbane) so couldn't attend.

Thanks.

Master of Science in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition.

I think most likely I will come back to Hong Kong, but I definitely wouldn't mind staying in England though my ideal place of living is Australia.

All these places are great, but I really hope that you will live in Australia as you expect. Good luck again

AdamJ

Thanks. Will be quite a long way though, probably 10 or 20 years from now.

Congrats. Hang in there. I feel for you--but the end results will be worth every year you work toward your goals. I have been in school since I was 4 years old and still have a few to go to reach my goals---and then have the "privilage" of paying off my loans. LOL

clh_hilary

Congrats. Hang in there. I feel for you--but the end results will be worth every year you work toward your goals. I have been in school since I was 4 years old and still have a few to go to reach my goals---and then have the "privilage" of paying off my loans. LOL

Haha at least I don't have the loans.

Have you already moved to Oxford? Your location tells me so.
Not sure if you are a man or woman. Your avatar shows a man but you posted that you had had a boyfriend.
Is your mother tongue Cantonese, English or Mandarin?

clh_hilary

Have you already moved to Oxford? Your location tells me so.
Not sure if you are a man or woman. Your avatar shows a man but you posted that you had had a boyfriend.
Is your mother tongue Cantonese, English or Mandarin?

No, I just updated it earlier so I don't forget about it later.

I'm a gay male.

My parents speak Cantonese as their native language, but I was brought up by English-speaking nannies/servants.

No, I just updated it earlier so I don't forget about it later.

I'm a gay male.

My parents speak Cantonese as their native language, but I was brought up by English-speaking nannies/servants.

I didn't know why you often posted threads about gender in Current events forum but now I have understood.

As you pointed out, I would say that your first language was English

clh_hilary

I didn't know why you often posted threads about gender in Current events forum but now I have understood.

As you pointed out, I would say that your first language was English

Well we do all live together so both languages have been spoken, and I did attend Chinese primary schools before switching to English-as-the-medium-of-instruction ones.

Well we do all live together so both languages have been spoken, and I did attend Chinese primary schools before switching to English-as-the-medium-of-instruction ones.

Thank you. Not sure if the primary schools taught you standard Chinese or Cantonese. Are Chinese and Cantonese considered distinct languages in Hong Kong and Macau? Their writing systems are similar but their grammars and glossaries are different, aren't they? A Hongkongese name is romanized based on Cantonese, isn't it? Using Cantonese is no longer encouraged in Singapore because its government prefers Mandarin Chinese

clh_hilary

Thank you. Not sure if the primary schools taught you standard Chinese or Cantonese. Are Chinese and Cantonese considered distinct languages in Hong Kong and Macau? Their writing systems are similar but their grammars and glossaries are different, aren't they? A Hongkongese name is romanized based on Cantonese, isn't it? Using Cantonese is no longer encouraged in Singapore because its government prefers Mandarin Chinese

Mandarin is not 'standard' Chinese. Traditional Chinese characters, which both Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan use, are the traditional Chinese characters whilst simplified Chinese characters, which the mainland uses, is a mixture of newly created characters and other calligraphy with only selected high frequency words.

Spoken Mandarin, which both the mainland and Taiwan use, is not 'standard' Chinese either. Cantonese has always been the language largely spoken in the south whilst Mandarin has always been the language largely spoken in the north, but Cantonese is a lot closer to ancient spoken Chinese than Mandarin is as the territory of China's was never that north before the Manchus got in starting the Qing Dynasty. Dr Sun Yat-sen, the 'father' of modern China, spoke Cantonese. During the Qing Dynasty, the official language spoken by the royals was Manchurian not Mandarin. The north has always had political power but money talks and the south has been richer since a few dynasties ago, and Mandarin was never that dominant in the north so it was never made the norm before the Republic of China and afterwards the People's Republic of China. Taiwan actually used to largely speak Taiwanese, which is a variant of Hokkien but is now mostly obsolete á la Welsh in Wales.

Mandarin and Cantonese are two different languages though they share many similarities, and are the most similar Chinese languages compared to other Chinese languages such as Shanghainese or Hokkien.

Hongkongers' names are romanised based on Cantonese but that is not necessary, people can choose to call themselves whatever and however they want.

---

Cantonese is not 'taught' as it is the most-spoken language in the city, and in Chinese lessons they teach with traditional Chinese characters. As for the grammar, lexis, pronunciation, etc when teaching literature, teachers tend to use Cantonese and traditional Chinese characters, for the simple fact that they are a lot closer to Cantonese than Mandarin. My kindergarten and two primary schools use Cantonese as the medium of instruction (except in English and Mandarin classes), whilst my secondary school, sixth form college, and university all use English as the official language of instruction, except for Chinese and Chinese history classes which were all taught in Cantonese.

But nowadays there is the movement to teach with Mandarin and English only, for parents feel that these are the only languages that make money for their children in the future. Though from a Chinese education standpoint, it makes little sense because you just cannot do literature that way (the poems won't rhyme, for example), and the perception that Mandarin Chinese is standard written Chinese just isn't true. Mandarin, like Cantonese and English, is different spoken from written. Obviously less so with English, but there are obvious differences between spoken English and using English to write a serious article (eg academic papers, news articles,etc).