Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Know You Wont (R&B Verison)

wonton

ok. Not my favorite version ever, but I do like that he saw the greatness in this song and decided to cover it

Claire2004

He has a nice voice. However, and I think I am not biased here lol, his version of IKYW does not have the same oomph as Carrie's. He hits his notes, but I don't really feel the emotion. JMO.

jaks_weyn

it started nice... he added some words to the song... but I didn't like the end so much...
And unlike Carrie's, his version didn't give me that feeling of being raised to heaven... ehehe... :D

diva101

wow, he's good, and I love his voice! ...maybe because of the RnB beat and ambiance added to it

It kinda reminds me of Jagged Edge covering "All Out Of Love" by Air Supply...

robinannhunt

He has a good R&B voice but his version of IKYW doesn't have the force I am use to.

Edit: The middle is pretty good.

Maybe if I didnt hear Carries version before I wouldve liked this more. But thats so cool that someone in a completely different genre decided to cover a Carrie song

pklongbeach

Dito with ya'lls posts.
Good effort, but because he as a high voice already, the higher notes just sit comfortably in his range so there is no big growth or developement into the choruses.
And too much "vocalizing", breaks up the line too much.
It's all the more amazing that Carrie was singing those phrases in the chorus with no breaths between at all.
The power of her voice is sorely missed in this arrangement.
But yes, very cool that it was reimagined.

pklongbeach

Side note.
I always invisioned Carrie doing a pop version of this song for pop radio.
And this gives me a sense of what it might have been like. And since I do like pop music. I would have LOVED it.

thunder92

I do not like it at all lol. even if i hadnt heard carries version i would still think it was bad
a nice soft pop version would sound great on IKYW, but this just doesnt do it for me, personally

fearless_dancerrr

it's a compliment he even wanted to take a country song and cover it, so i'll give him that. do you think he had to get permission from carrie/her team to cover it?
anyway, it's not awful, but as you all said it doesn't do what carrie's version does for me.
and to those who like the idea of a pop version of IKYW.. can't say i agree. that would seriously take away from the song for me. the orchestra, along with her voice, is what makes it soar and sound so epic. and i'm also pretty much against any pop remixes to begin with..

jeff

just another fan
i liked it. it just reminds me that carrie should have released it. lol

it's a compliment he even wanted to take a country song and cover it, so i'll give him that. do you think he had to get permission from carrie/her team to cover it?

if you remember what Randy said about Carrie covering ITYS, he said once a song is published, an artist doesnt need permission from the songwriter to record it. the songwriters will be getting paid though, not the original artist.

Gator

Wow - much better than I anticipated! Although, no one will ever top Carrie's version (imo), I was pleasantly surprised at the male R&B take on IKYW.

I WISH Carrie would have released IKYW!

Jade_kt

Its just a compliment to Carrie that other people would record Carrie's songs even though I just like this version not love it.

Suellen

I like Carrie's version better and still wish she released it as a single. But I also think he did a great job in singing it and what a compliment to Carrie. I would love to see it become a hit and have everyone know that its Carrie's song.

Zman312

TBH, I was never a fan of thsi song! I love Carrie's live version as it's amazing to see what a GREAT vocalist she is but this song is not my favorite. I really don't like the guys version because I think this song is better suited for a female than male. However, it is a compliment to Carrie!!!

jerandjan

it started nice... he added some words to the song... but I didn't like the end so much...
And unlike Carrie's, his version didn't give me that feeling of being raised to heaven... ehehe... :D

Exactly what I was going to say. Really nice at first but then it goes pure R&B..Not my kind of music!!

carrieguy2

it would have been a mistake if he tried to imitate Carrie's version. he could never match Carrie, of course, and it is not his genre and it would not be original. so i have no problem with him not soaring like Carrie. he is doing his own interpretation and style. it is a compliment to Carrie that he chose her song.

i like it very much. he has a nice voice, easy style, good in his own way. it is R&B but not heavy duty.

Whitney Houston covered Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You. i am not comparing the singers of course but pointing out that there can be two versions of a (country) song in different styles that both work! :)

bree

IKYW is my all-time favorite Carrie song, so it's interesting to hear a cover, and such a different one at that, since there aren't many out there. I liked it! So different than Carrie and nobody can compare with her, but it was unique and he definitely put his on spin on it. It's such a beautiful song to begin with. Great job!

rcramer

I was so wishing they would have released that as a single for Carrie, since she tore the heck out of that song. My ultimate favorite ballad from her. I thought he did a nice job on it, but no one will ever hit the vocal levels that Carrie did.....