Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idol sales - 8/31/11

Pi314CA

Selected data of Idol sales numbers from USA Today:

Album sales
Scotty McCreery, American Idol Season 10: Scotty McCreery EP (11,000, -7%, 156,000) (#30 Billboard 200)
Lauren Alaina, American Idol Season 10: Lauren Alaina EP (4,000, -20%, 67,000) (#104 BB200)
Haley Reinhart, American Idol Season 10: Haley Reinhart EP (3,000, -16%, 54,000) (#178 BB200)
James Durbin, American Idol Season 10: James Durbin EP (3,000, -20%, 56,000) (#189 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Play On (2,000, -7%, 2.031 million)

Idol related album sales
Jason Aldean, My Kinda Party (29,000, -22%, 1.762 million) (#9 Billboard 200)
Brad Paisley, This Is Country Music (12,000, -8%, 448,000) (#28 BB200)

Track sales
Brad Paisley/Carrie Underwood, Remind Me (62,000, -9%, 799,000)
Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson, Don't You Wanna Stay (21,000, -23%, 28,000, 1.629 million)
Scotty McCreery, I Love You This Big (20,000, -15%, 546,000)
Lauren Alaina, Like My Mother Does 96,000, -10%, 259,000)
Kellie Pickler, Tough (5,000, +38%, 42,000)

epicamends

So if it stays on track, RM should pass one million copies sold by late September or early October, just in time for the buzz about Carrie's new single to begin and with enough time to give RM extra buzz heading into CMA awards season. ;)

teesharky

wow one sale short of 800,000. lol

Hopefully it can make platinum in 2 months or so.

It just needs a little love on AC or Hot AC. I wish they would promote it there as it really helped Jason/Kelly.

maria4hitz

Look what I just found :)

108 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE PLAY ON 1,582 -7 1,710 2,030,892
12 16 18 20 PAISLEY*BRAD DUET WITH CARRIE REMIND ME 62469 -9 68647 798593

Play On is doing decently well considering there's no more singles

to put play on's sales in prespective look for example at Mariah Carey's daydream which opened at #1 on the billboard 200 chart dated October 17th 1995 with 225k and eventually shipped 10 million copies and it's highest sales week was 760,000 the week of Christmas 1995 While Play On Debuted with 319k and that was it's highest week

clh_hilary

to put play on's sales in prespective look for example at Mariah Carey's daydream which opened at #1 on the billboard 200 chart dated October 17th 1995 with 225k and eventually shipped 10 million copies and it's highest sales week was 760,000 the week of Christmas 1995 While Play On Debuted with 319k and that was it's highest week

What are you trying to say? That "Play On" does not sell well and is very front-loaded?

teesharky

You cannot compare sales back in Mariah Carey's heyday to sales today. The economy is terrible-- and sales have plummeted for everyone in the record industry.

Carrie sold 7 million copies of Some Hearts-- but today, not even Taylor Swift can sell that much.

Today-- to sell 2 million copies is GREAT. Times have changed due to digital downloads, illegal downloading, and the overall decline of album sales.

Itunes and napster pretty much killed the album.

teesharky

Also-- there are never any Play On cds in stores. I swear her record label doesn't bother to keep track of shipments or the stores don't keep a good watch on supply or stock.

clh_hilary

^ No offense, but I think he mentioned "Daydream" simply he wanted to get Mariah Carey's name out there.

I'll help him out here although I don't like Mimi much. :p

That album got spurred three record-setting singles, the first female #1 debut (The next #1 debut, other than also her own "One Sweet Day" and "Honey", was Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" -- Dion also enjoyed another #1 debut with R. Kelly with "I'm Your Angel", although that song was not considered as a debut by many sources), "Fantasy", which also stayed on the top consecutively (8 weeks) from debut the longest, it was also remembered as having one of the lowest spin totals to get to #1 on Top 40/CHR chart, with around 4000 spins only (Nowadays songs go 13000 to 14000 spins). Then there's "One Sweet Day" (with Boyz II Man), which is the longest-staying song at #1 (16 weeks), and the Song of the Decade for that decade, and the last one on the streak for three #1 debuts on the Hot 100 on the chart, and made her the first artist to have back-to-back #1 debuts (Britney Spears shared the record by sending both "3" and "Hold It Against Me" to debut on top -- some might consider her featured role on Rihanna's "S&M' as well, since she enjoyed only a one-week credit on that track when it hit #1, and her 'previous' single, "Till The World Ends", peaked after that happened). Then there's "Always Be My Baby" which debuted #2 and going #1 for 2 weeks, also becoming one the singles that spent the most time at #2. Speaking of this, OSD also blocked Whitney Houston's "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" from going back to #1 after it debuted to dethrone "Fantasy" -- this single became the longest-staying song at #2.

With these singles, I really don't think it's appropriate to compare it to "Play On", ever if the factors Tee mentioned do not exist. Add on, DD's highest one-week sales was the record for females (Unless one counts Whitney Houston's "The Bodyguard", which sold over a million copies in a week -- but it's a soundtrack and Houston also gave her voice to 5 of the tracks) until Britney Spears' "Oop!...I Did It Again" opened with more than 1.3 million copies to break that record.

One should not compare their weekly sales either. While DD may seem to be selling very closely to PO weekly at the moment, it was mainly due to its aggressive pricing at various outlets in recent weeks. And it was one of Carey's better-identified albums, along with perhaps her self-titled debut, "Music Box", "Butterfly" and "The Emancipation of Mimi". She also isn't country either. She had an awful attempt in going country on a soundtrack to one of her flop movies but that's it.