Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idol Sales - 9/21/11

Pi314CA

Sales numbers from USA Today:

Idol albums

Scotty McCreery, American Idol Season 10: Scotty McCreery EP (5,000, -40%, 183,000) (#103 Billboard 200)
Lauren Alaina, American Idol Season 10: Lauren Alaina EP (3,000, -15%, 77,000) (#193 BB200)
Carrie Underwood, Play On (1,000, -35%, 2.036 million)
Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (1,000, -13%, 7.128 million)

Idol-related

Jason Aldean, My Kinda Party (25,000, +3%, 1.84 million)
Brad Paisley, This Is Country Music (10,000, -21%, 480,000) (#48 BB200)
Kristin Chenoweth, Some Lessons Learned (former Idol guest judge; covers Lessons Learned, which appeared on Carrie Underwood's Some Hearts) (9,000, debut, 9,000) (#50 BB200)

Idol tracks:

Kelly Clarkson, Mr. Know It All (43,000 weekly, -60%, 151,000 total)
Brad Paisley/Carrie Underwood, Remind Me (42,000, -18%, 948,000)
Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson, Don't You Wanna Stay (15,000, -17%, 1.679 million)
Scotty McCreery, The Trouble With Girls (12,000, -56%, 62,000)
Scotty McCreery, I Love You This Big (12,000, -32%, 594,000)
Carrie Underwood, Undo It (7,000, +123%, 1.184 million)
Lauren Alaina, Like My Mother Does (5,000, -18%, 276,000)

epicamends

Looks like RM might take an extra week longer than I thought to reach platinum in sales, since it's starting to go down now... Can't wait for a live performance to shoot those sales right back up! :)

Pi314CA

Surprised to see that Kelly's single, in its 2nd week, only outsold Remind Me by 1000. For not having a single out in so long and as the lead single, these sales numbers does not bowed well for Kelly.

carriefann

Yeah I think as soon as Brad and Carrie do an actual televised live performance (hopefully at CMA Awards) sales will surely jump right back up. You have to realized just how much Remind Me has accomplished in a short amount of time, without any live promotion or anything! A #1 single, music video, and Platinum certified!

opry051008

I can't believe that Kelly's single isn't doing better. It's doing great on the charts.

Pi, since you've been watching these charts for a while, do you think there's a chance that Kelly's single will begin to sell better later on as she moves up the charts or is it usually a downward trend at this point no matter what the charts do?

Pi314CA

I can't believe that Kelly's single isn't doing better. It's doing great on the charts.

Pi, since you've been watching these charts for a while, do you think there's a chance that Kelly's single will begin to sell better later on as she moves up the charts or is it usually a downward trend at this point no matter what the charts do?

Kelly's single doing very well on the charts may be due to her not having a new song in a longgggg time. Don't know if this will last.

Kelly has performed on Leno and Ellen, and has had a video preview. Seems that all this has not increased sales on the iTunes chart (the only one that I have access). It has been slipping from the 20's, then 30's, to now the 40's to 50's range. The ranking is not as important as the absolute number. For a pop song, and a lead single, the number is only around 0.13. That is, the song is selling at 0.13 as compared to the top song.

As a point of reference, when new pop songs come out, it zooms to the top 10 or at least the top 20 very quickly. Kelly's did that for just a couple of days. Not good. No staying power. It's not like pop songs aren't selling. So, Kelly is doing poorly against Rhianna, Lady Gaga, Adele, Little' Wayne, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, etc... and those songs have been out much much longer.

So, even with the TV appearances, the single is not selling strong. I hope it gets at least Gold, but ... wow, it's struggling.

Update:
Mr. Know-It-All is at #35 on Billboard Hot 100, was #18 last week (debut week).

Well, MKIA is kind of a grower song. I didn't like it nearly as much as I do now after first hearing it. Hopefully, people will pick up to it in a few more weeks.

Also, don't forget "Breakaway" had a slow start too.

clh_hilary

Sales-wise, "Mr. Know It All" is performing pretty disappointingly, there's no two ways about that now. Sooner or later radios are going to abandon the single like they did with "Never Again".

Bring on the next single now!!!

Pi314CA

Well, MKIA is kind of a grower song. I didn't like it nearly as much as I do now after first hearing it. Hopefully, people will pick up to it in a few more weeks.

Also, don't forget "Breakaway" had a slow start too.

It seems that the way Billboard 100 works is so different than many years ago. I'm use to songs slowly building up and moving up steadily on the chart. Nowadays, songs debut at their peak sometimes, even #1. That is so foreign to me.

clh_hilary

It seems that the way Billboard 100 works is so different than many years ago. I'm use to songs slowly building up and moving up steadily on the chart. Nowadays, songs debut at their peak sometimes, even #1. That is so foreign to me.

The Hot 100 doesn't work different. The only reason why singles debut at their peaks now, is that 1. Singles sales are way higher now than ever before. It was sooooo difficult to get even a Gold single back then, but now, a 2-3xPlatinum single is nothing spectacular...2. The Internet has enabled news to spread fast.

If anything, the changes of the Hot 100 made it harder to debut high -- it started to allow songs that are not released commercially to chart, and include airplay outside of Pop radios.

utlovescarrie

Brad's TICM and RM should reach gold/platnium in the same week!

As for Kelly - I'm not a huge fan of her music - a few of her songs I love but most of them - nah. I have heard the song but didn't turn it up and try and sing along. It was more background noise. I am surprised that they would already start talking about her next single.

Scotty's new song is cute and my teenage daughters like it a lot. Interesting to see what happens with him and Lauren.