Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the ST singles were up to you....

countrymusicfan15

If you were in charge of picking the singles for the Storyteller era, how would you have done it? Let's say 6 was the magic number for singles this era.

Here's how I would have released them:

1) Renegade Runaway
2) Heartbeat
3) Dirty Laundry
4) Church Bells
5) Chaser
6) Choctaw County Affair

Kizmet311

In no particular order, assuming 5 singles, because 6 is unrealistic (no offense). I think she should have opened the era with DL. CB is very much "Carrie", which isn't bad, but also wouldn't have showcased the new sound. I think DL would have showcased the new sound, without being too different. The subject is familiar, but the production is so cool.

1.Church Bells
2.Dirty Laundry
3.Choctaw County Affair
4.Like I'll Never Love You Again (Because we never got SWISLY or WAW and the Love Junkies are very popular)
5.Heartbeat (I prefer Chaser, but I don't know that it works on country radio)

This mix of singles shows off the new "twangy" experimental sound (DL/CCA), has some "classic" Carrie (CB), ventures into the new R&B trend (HB), and shows off her beautiful traditional country sound like LAM, SWISLY, ITYS, and WAW (LINLYA). It's the perfect mix, in my humble opinion. My bonus 6th single would be Chaser, just for a blatant power ballad, but I do think it might be too much for country radio.

tgbrinker

Ooo this is a fun topic and VERY hard to choose. Luckily, you gave us 6 to work with.

In this order:
1. Church Bells (big radio debut, CMAs 2015)
2. Choctaw County Affair (lined up with AMA's 2015 and Grammys 2016 instead of Heartbeat)
3. Like I'll Never Love You Again (ACMs 2016, CMT 2016 (and ACCA's 2016 I guess))
4. Mexico (CMA 2016)
5. Heartbeat (radio remix to make more of a 'feat. Sam Hunt' situation and bring him on Tour Fall 2016 instead of repeating Swons/Easton, Grammys 2017, maybe ACM 2017)
6. Smoke Break (with Tour video to help promote Tour DVD, maybe ACMs 2017, for sure CMT 2017 to end era)

adam1995

1. Dirty Laundry- to show off the new sound, and combine the release with a great video.
2. Like I'll Never Love You Again- I show the very soft and sexy side of Carrie.
3. Choctaw County Affair- Go completely off the wall, with a whole new sound and a critically acclaimed single, with a huge story video.
4. Church Bells- for classic Carrie and another epic video.
5. Relapse- to slow it down again, and give a little pop flavor to the releases.

lolita55

I think chaser and relapse should have been released onto pop radio. Even though I am not a fan of smb I know she loves it so I am going to put it on the list.

1.CB
2.LINLYA
3.DL
4.CCA
5.Smb
6. Either RR, HB or Mexico.

Louisa

1. Church Bells
  2. Dirty Laundry
  3. Choctaw County Affair
  4. Renegade Runaway
  5. Like I'll Never Love You Again or Heartbeat

Zach1998

In this order...
1. Dirty Laundry (Performed at 2015 CMAs with tons of promotion and to properly show off "the new sound"
2. Church Bells (Performed at 2015 AMAs, NYE, & the Grammys with a real killer video)
3. Heartbeat FT. SAM HUNT (Performed at 2016 ACMs, ACCAs, & CMTs, & the BBMAs; with a video that is better)
4. Chaser to country & AC radio (Performed at the 2016 AMAs, on Ellen, & the CMAs)
5. Choctaw County Affair ( Used to OPEN the 2017 Grammys with a special duet with Chris Stapleton, performed at the 2017 ACMs, and the 2017 CMTs, with a video that slays)
THEN when the CMAs come around in 2017 perform a medley.
Now that would have been one killer era...

HuiZ

1. Dirty Laundry
2. Relapse
3. Choctaw County Affair
4. Chaser
5. WINKIAW

Dirty Laundry would have led off the "fresh sound" perfectly without sounding too different from old albums. Definitely would have smashed. Relapse would helped to grab some crossover fans and airplay too, imo.

By the third single, it's time to unleash the "riskiest" and boldest single choice. Chaser is too clever of a songwriting to not be released, so I slipped it in as the 4th. WINKIAW would have been the perfect era closer, so much personal touch.

Of course, this order will never happen even if we redo the whole era again, because the label won't release the first 3 singles in a row that are not written by Carrie. (I personally don't think Carrie-written tracks should get priority over other tracks. Defeats the purpose of putting those songs on the album)

p.s. No Church Bells because for me, CCA and CB are the either/or situation.

1. Renegade Runaway (Should've been first, it would've driven album sales more and it was the tour opener.)
2. Heartbeat
3. Church Bells
4. Like I'll Never Love You Again (This song deserves a chance at country radio. It would smash.)
5. Dirty Laundry
6. Choctaw County Affair (Although I think six singles is hugely wishful thinking, I think the album definitely has at least six songs that would be #1 hits at country radio. We always get shorted though.)

jptexas

1. Heartbeat Runaway
2. Church Laundry
3. Dirty Bells
4. Smoke County Affair
5. Like I'll Never Know What I Really Wanted

Gabeagabe

1. Renegade Runaway (it showcases the new sound and it she sounds awesome)
2. Smoke Break ( I actually really like this song as a single its like a breath of fresh air)
3. Choctaw County Affair ( It would have been an experiment to send to radio but i think it would have driven sales through the roof..unfortunately i think it will fall along the lines of SWISLY and WAW)
4.LINLYA ( So beautiful To slow it down for the winter cuddling season)
5. Church Bells (Probably top 5 in my list of carrie favorites just really wanted a proper music video)
6 (Bonus Single Hot AC/Pop Radio). Clock Dont Stop (I think it would smash)

Claire2004

Oooh this is a fun thread! If I were in charge of the singles, my choices would be:
1. Dirty Laundry - agree with others that this would introduce the newer sound but with a familiar topic
2. Like I'll Never Love You Again
3. Choctaw County Affair
4. Relapse
5. Church Bells

twaintrain

1. Church Bells
2. Heartbeat
3. Dirty Laundry
4. Choctaw County Affair
5. Chaser

Maybe if CB had been the first single it would have received the epic video it should have gotten and DL could've been concert footage because I think it lends itself more to that. Plus, the epic performance at the CMT Awards could've happened at the CMA Awards. Also, I can see the Target commercial in my mind with "it's all gonna be all right" ringing in the background.

ethelu

1. Dirty Laundry
2. Smoke Break
3. Church Bells
4. Chaser
5. CCA

6. The Girl You Think I Am (I just can't leave it off the list)

carriethequeen

I've thought about this before! I think it's very telling so far no one has kept SB as the debut single lol I LOVE SB, but it shouldn't have been the lead single. SB got all those TV performances, but a stronger hit like DL or even CB would've been better to introduce the album.

1) Dirty Laundry
2) Heartbeat (it did well in this time frame of winter 2016 so why change it, ya know?)
3) Church Bells
4) Smoke Break
5) Renegade Runaway (I still want this to happen!!!)