Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Been a Few Months, Is Blown Away Still Carrie's Best Work?

rainbow1

I don't see TGFH as a misstep - it's grown in stature and affection for me with repeat listens. I think the "home town" theme is significant for Carrie - and probably for quite a few of her listeners in the Country community (both those who've directly experienced the home town ethos themselves, and those who are city and suburb dwellers with a nostalgic identification with an imagined rural idyll (the latter group making up a significant and growing part of the radio audience). However, the theme in TGFH can work two ways - there are also people for whom the home town ethos has no resonance at all, or sometimes a negative resonance (a stifling memory of conformity and petty preoccupation with other people's business.) Hence it's potentially a divisive theme, that will work for some listeners and not others. I think it's a suitable song, though, for an album in which Carrie has sensibly tried to mix innovative and adventurous songs with a range of songs that span the potential range of her listeners, across the contemporary Country and not-so-Country spectrum.

And that, I think, is one of the strengths of this album. We have songs like GG and FC that take Carrie vocally into very different, but equally remarkable, challenges even she probably wasn't sure she could triumph in. We have a strongly symbolic and elemental survival-from-abuse song, and a broodingly powerful Gothic murder ballad. We have songs that address different facets of the Country spectrum (the Roots stomp that drives LLA, the great Country Rock feel of CGAS, the neo-traditional WAW - and, even though it's far from my favourite, the "Margaritaville" sound of OWT). I think it's into that spectrum that the nostalgia of TGFH fits - and, lyrically, it's a very good example of its type.

There is, in fact, only one song that I find disappointing - SYA (which, if it was anyone but Carrie, I'd never listen to again.). That personal judgment, by the way, has nothing to do with the lyric - which is an inspiring message - but everything to do with the musical style, which I find very unappealing. That, though, is neither here nor there. I still support its inclusion, and don't regard it as a misstep, because it has appeal for another part of Carrie's listener spectrum, and therefore justifies its place on a very varied album.

So my overall verdict is that this album has stood up to expectations and has grown in interest, and in the discovery of more detail and points to admire with repeat listening. For me it is her strongest studio album yet (a feeling I never had when PO came out, despite my love of SWISLY and SLT as individual tracks)

I agree with you on SYA, it's not one of my favorites either....except....there is one line in the song, where I think Carrie sounds heavenly. "Sometimes I feel my heart is breaking...But I stay strong and hold on 'cuz I know"! I keep playing the song, just to hear that line....it's just gorgeous!!

epicamends

TGFH and WAY have grown on me a ton in the last few days. I find myself randomly singing them at work, or waking up with one of them in my head.

liz278

I find that I think I will just listen to my favorites and somehow I end up listening to the whole cd again :) I think it is her best CD to date, and a second for me would be Carnival Ride.

pklongbeach

Hey Ashley!!
Welcome.
I to think that BA is her most well thought out planned effort and is doing a great job of promoting her as an "album aritst".
I think SH will always be my sentimental favoirte. But BA is definately her most calculated success. And for an artist that is really important.

Ann055

Welcome to Carrie Fans Ashley! Post away! This site has amazing people...we're a family, although somewhat dysfunctional -- but hey, most families are to one extent or another.

Hope you enjoy it here at CF! :)

liveasong

To be completely honest, I'm scared that Carrie won't be able to step up her game because Blown Away is TOO GOOD! :'( LOL! #GoodProblem

DizzyDollyDee

I love BA-it has a depth to its songs that I didn't find in the others. Is it her best? I don't know if I could ever pick her best. Each album has its "best songs" for me but I have a deeper feeling for some of these songs I didn't find on the others. I don't have the knowledge to pick co-hesiveness, etc. Just a carriefan loving her music. I love her talent, the way she sings each song but can't say I love every song. I don't love every song of anybodys music. But this is so typical of her fans - we can't even agree on favorite album cover. But I do find it the best of what others have to offer.

CarrieFaninAZ

I love BA-it has a depth to its songs that I didn't find in the others. Is it her best? I don't know if I could ever pick her best. Each album has its "best songs" for me but I have a deeper feeling for some of these songs I didn't find on the others. I don't have the knowledge to pick co-hesiveness, etc. Just a carriefan loving her music. I love her talent, the way she sings each song but can't say I love every song. I don't love every song of anybodys music. But this is so typical of her fans - we can't even agree on favorite album cover. But I do find it the best of what others have to offer.

Normally I'd agree with you on that last point, but Carrie is the only artist that I have never disliked a song from. I have plenty of other favorite artists, but like you, I always find a few songs here and there I'm not a fan of. Carrie's completely different for some reason, and I've yet to find a song I don't enjoy. Some are better than others, of course, but I still like them all.

I'd say that about 8 months later, it's still is her best work. It's not my personal favorite, as I think it will be hard to top that sentimental feeling that came along with SH.

But with SH, I often don't find myself wanting to actually sit through the whole album, I just listen to the songs on shuffle when they come up. Blown Away is her first album that I actually want to listen to in the order it's meant to be, and I think that's the sign of a great album. Though I tend to just put Carrie's stuff on shuffle, I still find myself coming back and listening to these 14 tracks exclusively. It's just a really strong album with a nice variety of songs, and the single choices this era have really cemented that in my mind.

DizzyDollyDee

Normally I'd agree with you on that last point, but Carrie is the only artist that I have never disliked a song from. I have plenty of other favorite artists, but like you, I always find a few songs here and there I'm not a fan of. Carrie's completely different for some reason, and I've yet to find a song I don't enjoy. Some are better than others, of course, but I still like them all.

I'd say that about 8 months later, it's still is her best work. It's not my personal favorite, as I think it will be hard to top that sentimental feeling that came along with SH.

But with SH, I often don't find myself wanting to actually sit through the whole album, I just listen to the songs on shuffle when they come up. Blown Away is her first album that I actually want to listen to in the order it's meant to be, and I think that's the sign of a great album. Though I tend to just put Carrie's stuff on shuffle, I still find myself coming back and listening to these 14 tracks exclusively. It's just a really strong album with a nice variety of songs, and the single choices this era have really cemented that in my mind.

I do believe you are the fan that totally understands Carrie's music style and love - you are the fan she wrote the cd for. I loved your comments. I love Carrie and I love her talent but I haven't reached the point where I love all her song choices but to me thats okay, I don't need to have her write everyone for me. I can appreciate what she does regardless. I loved reading how she has a fan that "totally gets it" and I'm envious!!!

Schrodinger

To be completely honest, I'm scared that Carrie won't be able to step up her game because Blown Away is TOO GOOD! :'( LOL! #GoodProblem

No Worries:D Carrie strives to best herself. I am looking forward to see what she does next. It's going to be TOO TOO GOOD.:cool:

DizzyDollyDee

No Worries:D Carrie strives to best herself. I am looking forward to see what she does next. It's going to be TOO TOO GOOD.:cool:

There you go, telling us the title to her next cd!!! But you are right, she does work hard to make every assignment better than the last. You can go back and see the growth that has happened through the years and its phenomenal - does make yoou wonder what we'll see in about 5 yrs!!

Schrodinger

You're right. She'll never top it. She should go in a new direction. I'm thinking viking metal.

Never going to happen...she hates pony tails..I'm sure she has the same view on braids. No, she's going to build on TBC and release a Gothic Country Album. Something like Sons of Perdition's Blood In The Valley :rolleyes: