Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jen Nettles Playing Dolly's Mom in TV Movie for NBC

teesharky

[h=1]question: Who Will Play Dolly???

Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles joins Dolly Parton movie[/h] Cindy Watts, ciwatts@tennessean.com 3:41 p.m. CDT August 11, 2015
635749071317317507-jennifer-nettles-small.jpg

(Photo: file)

288 CONNECT 12 TWEETLINKEDIN 1 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Sugarland singer Jennifer Nettles is branching out to made-for-television movies.
Nettles will join actors Gerald McRaney (“Major Dad” and “House of Cards”) and Ricky Schroder (“NYPD Blue” and “24”) in the cast of NBC’s upcoming film “Dolly Parton’s Coat of Many Colors.”
Nettles will play Parton’s mother, Avie Lee Parton. Schroder is in the role of Parton’s father, Lee Parton. McRaney will portray Parton’s maternal grandfather, Jake Owens, and Alyvia Lind will play 9-year-old Dolly Parton.
The network describes the movie as “a family-oriented faith-based story” about events in Parton’s life as child that lead her family “to overcome devastating tragedy and discover the healing power of love, faith, and a raggedy patchwork coat that helped make Parton who she is today.”
“Dolly Parton’s Coat of Many Colors” is set in Parton’s native Great Smoky Mountains in 1955.
Earlier this year, Parton said “Dolly Parton’s Coat of Many Colors” is one of many television specials she would produce “based on my life and or songs I’ve written.” She said a movie of the week on “Jolene” was in the works that “we’ll make that into something really great.”

Farawayhills

question: Who Will Play Dolly???

I think I can guess why people might be asking Who Will Play Dolly?
But this movie appears to be about Dolly's childhood (centred on the "Coat" song, when she walked to school in a home made coat lovingly made from cast off cloth fragments). They already have a child actress cast for the role.

However, Dolly says she plans a number of films, all based around landmark songs. She began to sing in public when her uncle, Bill Owens, took her out on the road, and later to Nashville. She wrote several songs in this period - a role which might require a teenage actress/singer (although TV actresses often play roles below their actual age)

Her mass market breakthrough came when she appeared on TV spectaculars with the late Porter Wagoner (with whom she was also personally involved).
Ashley Monroe playfully satirized the "power couple" theme in an album duet with Blake Shelton, "You Ain't Dolly (And You Ain't Porter)" - which contains put-down lines, which perhaps illustrate the risks facing anyone trying to recapture the spirit of that era.

I don't know whether Dolly intends to play her own adult self, or whether she will cast contemporary actress/singers for the later roles.
[h=4] [/h]

teesharky

I think I can guess why people might be asking Who Will Play Dolly?
But this movie appears to be about Dolly's childhood (centred on the "Coat" song, when she walked to school in a home made coat lovingly made from cast off cloth fragments). They already have a child actress cast for the role.

However, Dolly says she plans a number of films, all based around landmark songs. She began to sing in public when her uncle, Bill Owens, took her out on the road, and later to Nashville. She wrote several songs in this period - a role which might require a teenage actress/singer (although TV actresses often play roles below their actual age)

Her mass market breakthrough came when she appeared on TV spectaculars with the late Porter Wagoner (with whom she was also personally involved).
Ashley Monroe playfully satirized the "power couple" theme in an album duet with Blake Shelton, "You Ain't Dolly (And You Ain't Porter)" - which contains put-down lines, which perhaps illustrate the risks facing anyone trying to recapture the spirit of that era.

I don't know whether Dolly intends to play her own adult self, or whether she will cast contemporary actress/singers for the later roles.

tx! That sounds awesome! Maybe Carrie will be involved in one of the other segments. Or not. haha

adam1995

So happy for Jennifer and also for Alyia Lind who plays Faith on The Young and Restless.

I hope nobody gets mad at me for saying this, but I will. It's weird but as a guy I got addicted to The Young and the Restless, my mom watches it and I'm there when it's on, and now I'm addicted what can I say? Anyway, we both can't stand Faith on there, so I'm not looking forward to that. But for Jennifer Nettles, I may just have to watch.

Suellen

Doesn't she share the Y&R role with the other little girl?? Also, just because she may be a brat on Y&R doesn't mean that she's a brat in real life.
Faith is a shared role on Y&R. I didn't mean the actress was a brat in real life, but some story lines of Faith she was supposed to play one. She is an amazing actress and that's why Dolly picked her.