Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[June 21, 2019] Minneapolis, MN Target Center

maddkat

Staff member
start time 7PM
openers: Maddie and Tae, Runaway June

15 reasons why Minnesota-bound Carrie Underwood is country music's queen - StarTribune.com

Carrie Underwood is the undisputed queen of modern country music.

She has scored 15 No. 1 country singles, sold more than 65 million albums and captured seven Grammys, 14 Academy of Country Music Awards and seven Country Music Association (CMA) awards. As radio programmers say: “She is the face of the format.”

With the 36-year-old Oklahoman coming to Minneapolis June 21, we offer 15 reasons why Underwood rules.

1. Idolized. While winning “American Idol” in 2005, she built a tremendous fan base who knew her small-town back story, girl-next-door personality and big, versatile voice. America was rooting for her from the release of her very first song.

2. Substance. While “Idol” established her as an American sweetheart, she’s no pretty-faced pushover. She’s no-nonsense in relationships (see “Before He Cheats” and “Two Black Cadillacs”) but still can be playful (“Last Name”) as well as loving (“Heartbeat,” “Mama’s Song”).

“In a Cardi B/Nicki Minaj world, Carrie Underwood is the ultimate reassurance,” said Holly Gleason, editor of the award-winning book “Woman Walk the Line: How the Women in Country Music Changed Our Lives.” “She’s gracious, she’s kind, she’s humble. She’s the rose in the garden of American womanhood.”

3. That voice. On “Idol,” she poured deeply felt emotion into everything, from the Bonnie Raitt lament “I Can’t Make You Love Me” to Heart’s power ballad “Alone.” She ripped it up on Pat Benatar’s “Love Is a Battlefield” and put her own knowing touch on country tunes such as “Bless the Broken Road.” Her country career and all those female-vocalist-of-the-year trophies speak for themselves.

“I don’t know any females who can do what she does with her voice,” said Twin Cities K102 country radio personality Chris Carr. “She could sing Queen and knock it out of the park.”

4. Relatable. “She’s the girl that girls want to hang out with; she’s the girl that guys want to be with; and she’s the girl that every parent on planet Earth wishes was their daughter,” opined Twin Cities radio programmer Lucas Phelan of 102.9 The Wolf.

Underwood appeals to women and men, young and old, Phelan said. “She’s enough country and enough pop to be mass appeal.”

5. Scandal-free. In today’s social media-dominated world, Ms. Squeaky Clean has steadfastly avoided controversy. You don’t hear about her on TMZ or in the tabloids, unless it was a question over whether she got plastic surgery by choice or because she tripped at home and fell on her face.

6. Happy family. There’s no apparent dysfunction in her Nashville household, with hubby Mike Fisher, a former pro hockey player, and their two young kids. “People are invested in her life,” Carr said.

7. Faith. Underwood doesn’t hide her strong religious beliefs. In fact, she typically puts Jesus in a song on each of her albums.

8. No politics. Underwood isn’t afraid to take a stand, whether it be about religion, veganism or pets. But she doesn’t proselytize, berate meat eaters or stick a finger in your chest in person or on Twitter. Perhaps her strongest statement was “The Bullet,” the 2018 song ruminating on school shootings.

9. Musically fearless. She’s not shy about stepping out of country. She rocked with Aerosmith on the ACM Awards and in the recording studio, joined the Rolling Stones onstage in Toronto and invited Joan Jett to duet on “Bad Reputation” and “I Love Rock ’n’ Roll” at CMA Fest in Nashville this month.

In 2013, she starred as Maria Von Trapp in the live TV production of “The Sound of Music.” Not afraid of naysayers, she teamed with her rival, country bad-girl Miranda Lambert, on “Something Bad’s About to Happen” and got Ludacris to rap on her own “The Champion.”

“She has so many different facets,” said country DJ Phelan. “She can be a badass and she still goes to church. She’s really what we all want to be.”

10. Supportive. For her current tour, the country queen enlisted two young female acts — Maddie & Tae and Runaway June — as openers. The all-female lineup is uncommon in country.

“You look at my audience, you see tons of little girls. Why wouldn’t they want to see other super-talented young women?” Underwood told Pollstar.

She’s a supportive spouse, too. When her husband was playing with the Nashville Predators, Underwood was a regular at the rink. And she wasn’t afraid to call out referees on Twitter.

11. Work ethic. She co-writes many of her songs and coproduced her latest album, “Cry Pretty.” “There’s no Svengali behind her,” said Gleason, a longtime Nashville music journalist who has interviewed Underwood several times. “She doesn’t get enough credit for how talented she is.”

12. Funny girl. Co-hosting the CMA Awards for the past 11 years with Brad Paisley not only gives her high-profile visibility but enables her to showcase her personality. Even though she plays the straight woman to jocular Paisley, Gleason insists that Underwood has more to do with the funny ideas than people think.

13. High Q. Underwood has the highest Q score — a measure of popularity — of any country star now, said Cindy Mabe, president of Underwood’s label, UMG Nashville. “They don’t build TV shows in this format, or outside this format, without her,” Mabe told Pollstar. To wit: Since 2013, she has belted the opening theme song for the NFL’s Sunday Night Football telecast.

14. Sexy. PETA has named Underwood sexiest vegetarian more than once. She’s not afraid to get sexy in dress or song (see “That Song That We Used to Make Love To”). But she’s wholesomely sexy. Said Gleason: “When she’s in black Swarovski crystals-encrusted hot pants and 6-inch heels, people still see her as über Barbie.”

15. Momentum. Fifteen years into her recording career, Underwood is still going strong. Country radio programmer Phelan doesn’t underestimate the sonic vibe of her songs.

“Whether they’re power ballads or rockin’ out like ‘Blowin’ Away,’ there’s momentum to them,” he said. “People subconsciously crave momentum. It’s hard to take a break in today’s society.”

And it’s hard for country music to take a break from Carrie Underwood.

DaisyTweets

Well color me shocked -- I was going to say that after reading that article from the Star Tribune that no way did Jon Bream write it. He seems to very rarely say anything nice about Carrie. But low and behold, he's the one who wrote this one!!!! It will be interesting to see if he reviews her show & if he does what will he say???

Last edited:

bigd79

i just saw this article on twitter and was wondering if it was anywhere here yet and i see that its here :) Great article! So happy to see the concert(1st of 2 anyways) i will be attending has its own thread and is only a week away now! Cannot wait!

Question...is it strange to anyone else that it was this concert that i registered for the FC meet & greet but i have not heard a thing yet. With it only a week away now i would think i would have heard something by now?? Or is this normal?

maddkat

Staff member
i just saw this article on twitter and was wondering if it was anywhere here yet and i see that its here :) Great article! So happy to see the concert(1st of 2 anyways) i will be attending has its own thread and is only a week away now! Cannot wait!

Question...is it strange to anyone else that it was this concert that i registered for the FC meet & greet but i have not heard a thing yet. With it only a week away now i would think i would have heard something by now?? Or is this normal?
I just got the m&g full email last Saturday for my show tomorrow

jimshoe

Awesome article and I too am surprised Jon Bream wrote it... seems Carrie finally wore him down!-)

I'l be doing to this concert but I won't be able to post any pictures/comments about the show until a little over a week after the show.. Annual family vacation starts right after the concert... actually the vacation for the rest of the group of 22 starts on Friday but I won't get there until about 2 AM on Saturday... Carrie comes first!-)

Countryfan2448

Target Center
@TargetCenterMN
·
1h

#CryPrettyTour360 is finally here! We're welcoming
@carrieunderwood
& her team backstage with some photos from her last concert at Target Center in 2012.
D9mNwuUXUAA_Tmn

jaws931

My daughter in law got a meet and greet. I can’t wait to hear her review. She’s super pumped. Alas, I’m unable to go to this concert. I’m handicapped at the moment.

jaymiee

Kelsea Ballerini flew in to go to the show tonight! That's awesome! Now I'm even more mad I'm not there right now!!!

txacar

Kelsea Ballerini @KelseaBallerini

Me- Is off tour for one month

Me- flies to tours to get my fix and be a fangirl

D9oPH2bWkAAofzL.jpg:large

rainbow1

My daughter in law got a meet and greet. I can’t wait to hear her review. She’s super pumped. Alas, I’m unable to go to this concert. I’m handicapped at the moment.

I hope you will tell us what she thought!! So glad she got to meet Carrie!!

jaymiee

Carrie's show was literally 20 mins away from my house but I couldnt go. I am crying not pretty. At least someone was live streaming on Twitter she was amazinggg

Countryfan2448

Carrie Underwood
@carrieunderwood
·
1h

Minneapolis was beautiful tonight...thanks for the

! #CryPrettyTour360
D9pC3qAXoAA6dIw

Carrie Underwood Fan
@CUnews4Fans
·
9m

So much love for this comradery! #friendshipgoals
@carrieunderwood

@kelseaballerini
D9pVsfrWkAAxnug

On the Road with Carrie Underwood
@OTRwithCarrie
·
3h

Check out these exclusive picture of
@carrieunderwood
last night during the #CryPrettyTour360 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin!
D9onXxYX4AALWtX
D9onXxXXUAAZqQS

Jamie
@wildforhockey
·
1h

Replying to
@carrieunderwood
We got our picture with you after, i am a huge
@mikefisher1212
fan and are still out here if he could take a quick picture.
@hrbekroenick

Brian
@hrbekroenick
·
1h

Thanks again!
D9pEBqpXUAA8com