Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kentucky Derby 2013

carrieguy2

once again it's Kentucky Derby time!

the track handicapper has selected three contenders at less than 10-1:

Goldenscents, a California horse who has the highest Beyer rating of 105. jockey Kevin Krigger who has never run in the Derby (like last year's winning jockey) would be the first African-American jockey to win the Derby in over a century. black jockeys won about half the Derbys in the 19th century until they were forced out by Jim Crow laws, etc.

Verrazano, 4 for 4 lifetime and the winner of the Wood Memorial. he would be the first horse in well over a century to win without racing as a 2 year old.

Orb, easy winner of the Florida Derby and trained by Shug McGaughey who in his long career has never won a Derby.

this year horses qualify for the Derby according to a new system. instead of being based money won, the horses picked up points in the important races leading up to the Derby. this has eliminated the sprinters who typically ran the early part of the Derby in tremendous speed, usually setting the race up for the closers.

one horse who cannot be overlooked is Revolutionary, ridden by Calvin "Bo-rail" Borel, who won the Derby three times in the last six years. Revolutionary circled the field in a big move in its last race winning the Louisiana Derby.

another contender is Itsmyluckyday, who finishes second as the favorite to Orb last time. and Overanalyze won the Arkansas Derby last out.

i like to bet exactas, and i will box #3 Revolutionary with #14 Verrazano. i will probably throw in a third selection as well.

Andy Beyer, who has a notoriously poor record in picking Derby winners, feels Goldenscents is almost a sure thing based on his Beyer rating.
Kentucky Derby: Goldencents is obvious choice for good reason - The Washington Post

i am looking forward to this year's Run for the Roses! enjoy those mint juleps!

maddkat

Staff member
with Rick Pitino's luck these last few weeks I'd put my money on Goldenscents

it's gonna be a nasty rainy day in Louisville tomorrow ;(

carrieguy2

i found a slight Carrie connection!

Overanalyze is owned by Mike Repole, founder of Vitaminwater.
i see he sold it to Coke in 2007 for $4.1 billion. not too bad!

carrieguy2

If it rains that changes everything.

on a sloppy track, like my GPS says, will require "recalculating!"

mud makes it difficult for closers, who have to slog it out while getting mud kicked in their faces.

and very few of the entries have ever run on an off track.

JB172

on a sloppy track, like my GPS says, will require "recalculating!"

mud makes it difficult for closers, who have to slog it out while getting mud kicked in their faces.

and very few of the entries have ever run on an off track.

Revolutionary with Borel will get a lot of play if it is a off track.

JB172

Here are my picks, Calvin is just to good to pass up.

Revolutionary
Orb
Palace Malice
Normandy Invasion

DaisyTweets

Seems the Kentucky Derby announcer just gave Martina McBride a Grammy award as he announced her as Grammy award winner!!!

Last edited:

JB172

Really cool to see Shug finally get a Derby win, that was a great trip by Rosario and Orb seemed to have a lot left in the tank.

carrieguy2

today is the Belmont Stakes. Orb the Derby winner is facing Oxbow the Preakness winner. there are some other contenders as well.
right now Orb is 2-1 and Oxbow is 10-1. so Oxbow may be a good bet.
and i like the third "O" horse Overanalyze for a three horse box 3-5-7 for an exacta and trifecta box.