Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kony 2012-Invisible Children

carriecountrystar

International Justice-Kony 2012-Invisible Children

Please take the time to watch this video, then spread and share word to anyone and everyone you know. Let's be apart of this and work to stop this injustice. "Where you live shouldn't determine whether you live."

Here is their website for more information-you can support them and their cause there as well: Invisible Children - About Us

Last edited:

CrazyDreams1818

Make sure you guys read up on Invisible Children before you support them. Not saying don't support them, but stay informed.

allamericangirl8

Make sure you guys read up on Invisible Children before you support them. Not saying don't support them, but stay informed.

Someone told me that much of this video is false. I don't know. I haven't read up on anything, but, for those who perhaps haven't, just be cautioned that it's easy to hop on board with a "Save the children!" cause when we've only seen one side.

I could be completely wrong about if this is 100% true or not, but I do think a lot of people who are hopping on board with this haven't read up enough on it, since that's what we tend to do when we see a children's campaign. :cool:

cole

This really is some terrible stuff; I had no idea things like this still went on in this day and time.

carriecountrystar

Hi Everyone,

Since I started this thread, I feel responsible for posting the video without looking into it first so sorry about that. I would have looked into this organization first but I mistook this for another that I jumped on sharing it too soon.
Here are some of the articles I would encourage you to read about so you would be more apt to make a better judgement on this organization and cause.

Joseph Kony 2012: growing outrage in Uganda over film - Telegraph

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts..._not_in_uganda_and_other_ complicated_things

We got trouble. - Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism

Here is Invisible Children's response to the criticism: InvisibleChildren

allamericangirl8

Hi Everyone,

Since I started this thread, I feel responsible for posting the video without looking into it first so sorry about that. I would have looked into this organization first but I mistook this for another that I jumped on sharing it too soon.
Here are some of the articles I would encourage you to read about so you would be more apt to make a better judgement on this organization and cause.

Joseph Kony 2012: growing outrage in Uganda over film - Telegraph

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts..._not_in_uganda_and_other_ complicated_things

We got trouble. - Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism

Here is Invisible Children's response to the criticism: InvisibleChildren

This is the video my friend sent me.

Grace_Of_God

^ yeah ive also seen that video as well.

it's just frustrating to me for a few reasons. I usually keep my voice out of political issues (because in politics someone is always unhappy) but I guess this one frustrates me so much because i saw so many people posting it on facebook on their status and i was like "do you even know what youre truly posting about". same with all the celebrities who posted it on twitter. But its just we have so many problems to fix here in our own country that we need to focus on as well and we're always so quick to jump in have save everyone else. Im sorry if it makes me sound heartless. I also feel like in a month no one will remember this, everyone is posting it on their status because its the "popular" thing to do and it's whats "in". Im sorry but posting a status isnt going to do anything. If you want to DO something go and do it.

(this has nothing to do about anyone who has posted in here Im just posting my opinions!!! SORRY!!)

allamericangirl8

^ yeah ive also seen that video as well.

it's just frustrating to me for a few reasons. I usually keep my voice out of political issues (because in politics someone is always unhappy) but I guess this one frustrates me so much because i saw so many people posting it on facebook on their status and i was like "do you even know what youre truly posting about". same with all the celebrities who posted it on twitter. But its just we have so many problems to fix here in our own country that we need to focus on as well and we're always so quick to jump in have save everyone else. Im sorry if it makes me sound heartless. I also feel like in a month no one will remember this, everyone is posting it on their status because its the "popular" thing to do and it's whats "in". Im sorry but posting a status isnt going to do anything. If you want to DO something go and do it.

(this has nothing to do about anyone who has posted in here Im just posting my opinions!!! SORRY!!)

This is exactly how I feel. People always call me heartless because, well, it's like when a plane is in turbulence and the oxygen mask drops, right? Who should use it first? You or your baby? The correct answer is YOU because you can't save people if you're not taken care of. That's how I feel about America. We should save ourselves before we try to save others because then we're just spreading ourselves too thin.

I also hate how trendy it is to act like you legit give a sht about Ugandan children. These are the same people who change the channel whenever a charity ad appears on TV. Like I said earlier, it's easy to just say, "I CARE ABOUT THE CHILDREN OF UGANDA," when you a) really don't and b) don't even care enough to read followups about whether or not this is actually happening in Uganda.

I don't know. Just my two cents. I don't know everything about Kony 2012, but it just screams fishy to me, and I can't wrap my mind around why no one else I know personally finds it fishy, too.

Grace_Of_God

^ exactly! and I guess Im lucky because I have several friends that do feel the same way I do. My best friend asked me why arent more people getting the word out about the negative aspects of this. And I personally think it's because if you look like you're attacking something that on the outside looks good it automatically makes you look like a bad person. Plus look at all the celebrities (who obviously didnt do their research) that are supporting it. Nobody wants to speak up against all of them. Once something has such momentum it's so hard to stop it.

Im not saying people shouldnt put their money into charities. If that's what you want to do then great. But im just asking for people to do a little more research into the charity theyre donating to before they do it

clh_hilary

The Uganda government is indeed a pretty bad one, that's pretty much common knowledge for some actually. But that still doesn't mean Joseph Kony should not be arrested, and that doesn't make his crime any less horrible. After all, he IS the #1 criminal on the international list. The organization didn't make that up.

As for whether one should care about issues of others when they are not perfect. Well, nobody's ever perfect, so I suppose this means everyone should just be careless about other people? That's why it's about 'the more fortunate' helping the 'less fortunate', not the 'fortunate' helping the 'unfortunate'. And if everybody thinks this way, nobody will ever do anything. This American indifference was exactly what dragged both World Wars to be longer than they should be.