Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kreetia Louise Harrison

The Nanook

'American Idol' finals: Backstage scoop from Keith Urban, Kree Harrison, and Candice Glover | Inside TV | EW.com

On that fateful coin flip

Reality television devotees may be surprised to learn that as Ryan Seacrest was flipping that coin last week that would give the winner the choice to go first or second in Wednesdays finals show, Kree was whispering to Candice to ask which position she preferred. “I was very surprised. She asked me while it was spinning. I said ‘I don’t know? Second?’ and she said ‘OK, I’ll go first,’” said Glover. “That’s Kree. Every day. She doesn’t think about herself at all. She puts everyone before herself.” Harrison said, “I think it comes down to the singing, the connection, the order doesn’t matter.” Though Glover wasn’t in the room to hear her say that, she echoed the sentiment in nearly the same words.

This has always been very clear during the season. She always takes time to applaud and praise the band on stage and in backstage interviews.

HuiZ

Just watched her interviews after Idol.

She's such a genuinely sweet, warm, caring and positive person. No wonder she has so many friends on Idol and in Nashville. I adore her personality!

Wishing her all the best for her music career. Can't wait to hear her album!

HuiZ

So happy for Kree, achieving her dream of singing at the Opry!

Read that Kacey Musgraves was in the audience too? I bet Kacey is going to be involved in her debut album as well.

Maggie

^^Thanks so much for posting the links! She sounded great. So happy for her too. I hope a video recording of the performance is made available at some point.

Maggie

Cathie, thank you! I just watched the videos. She looked right at home. So nice to see her dream come true. Loved that she sang In the Garden in memory of her dad.

Farawayhills

I'm very impressed with Kree (She did use the "Kreetia Louise" identity at one time, by the way, which was in my mind when I was told she was going on Idol - sorry for the confusion in the heading.)

Covering Patty Griffin is always risky (in Austin, some might see it rather like covering the Beatles, Lol). But I think she pulls off this iconic song well. As she did with Carrie's "See You Again", I think she's sensibly tried to give it a different interpretation, (as indeed other artists have done with this moving song), rather than copying the original. Kree puts a Blues feel into her voice, which suits the song, and also uses "power vocals". It's the latter that I feel suit the song a little less - because they risk reducing the sense of vulnerability and weary resignation, felt in the need to face unremitting adversity, which I think make the original so special.

Anyone attempting this song, though, can put different emphases on the mixed elements of triumph and pain in the Martin Luther King story - and that is indeed part of the appeal of a great song. Kree has the advantage of being a writer as well as a singer - an aspect that Carrie alluded to, when she told Kree that a songwriter is always pleased to see new interpretations of songs.

For anyone who isn't familiar with it, this is the original (which I must confess, still leaves me in awe, whenever I hear it!

)

pklongbeach

Great!!

Whats frustrating to me about this, is that she was never able to completely relax like this and have an truly effective vocal performance on Idol like this, because the stress of the whole experience is such that the singers feel like they are singing for their very lives, and it does not allow for moments like this where the voice is so completely relaxed and in sync with the mind.

Some people are able to push out vocal performances under stress and others just can't.

Some people, Carrie included, really shine when they are completely relaxed and are in complete sync with the music and the people around them.
ITs too bad that Kree was not able to have moments like this on the show. IT is very obvious when someone is completely in the moment vocally.

The other girl on the show, though also very stressed out, was able to harness the energy and translate it into the performance. Some are just not able to do that. And female country singers inparticular have it hard because the voice has to be so relaxed to sing in that "laid back" style and have it sound natural.

Carrie managed to "power through" alot of her work on Idol and came out on top. But even after the show few knew just how well she could sing when she wa completely relaxed. It took her studio work for that to come out of her.

Even to this day in her live performances I do not hear the relaxation in hr voice the way I do in her studio work.

But yes, this was lovely. A true Country Singer!!