Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest RIAA certifications for Carrie!

Zach1998

The Champion is such a unique hit for her - no radio promo, all streaming (and sales when that was still sort of a thing in 2018 lol). I agree that Cry Pretty should be platinum by now! I'm confused how it's not, perhaps as you suggested CP didn't stream as well on other platforms. Honestly, I wonder if D&R will even make it to gold (platinum out of the question). If 2-4 radio singles stream well I think that could carry it to gold.
I think if it gets a strong streamer it would be great in helping it get more certifications. GS probably will fizzle off like most of the CP singles did as time goes by based on how it’s performing on the streaming/sales front while it’s still being promoted.

That’s why I was thinking it’d be a good idea to tack on IIDLY, as a bonus track on a deluxe edition, because that one will bring in strong steady streams for years to come.

NC State Carrie Fan

Just a few notes:

Southbound has about 10m more streams than CP does. Southbound is nearing 60m streams and CP still hasn’t hit 50m.

The Champion was not a radio song (but who listens to radio anymore let’s be honest) but it’s a MASSIVE hit for what it was used for (the Super Bowl). I am a big sports fan and I haven’t gone to a sporting event in the last 4 years that TC wasn’t played pregame before the game started. Also Ludacris helps.

If I Didn’t Love You 100% needs to be added to the D&R deluxe edition (if we get one). That would majorly help the certifications for that album down the road and hopefully to get to platinum

maddkat

Staff member
They do have a responsibility to get the shipment out to stores. No, they aren’t flying off the shelves because most don’t go back and check religiously… unless they really want it that bad such as a fan would.
they use distribution companies which are f***ing things up. They, the label, do not manufacture or ship cds/vinyls.

here's an article from 2020 about how everything has gone awry with music distribution
"Most agree that the inciting incident took place last April, when Warner Records moved its physical distribution to Direct Shot Distributing, a company that was already being used by the other two major labels, Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment. A single company was suddenly responsible for sorting and shipping the vast majority of CDs and records sold in the U.S. market. Unfortunately, it seems that Direct Shot was incapable of taking on the additional work, according to interviews with more than 20 managers, retailers, and label executives. “The whole system collapsed,” says David Azzoni, a 15-year veteran of physical retail, illustrating the frailty of a distribution network that had long been taken for granted. "

FanSince04

they use distribution companies which are f***ing things up. They, the label, do not manufacture or ship cds/vinyls.

here's an article from 2020 about how everything has gone awry with music distribution
"Most agree that the inciting incident took place last April, when Warner Records moved its physical distribution to Direct Shot Distributing, a company that was already being used by the other two major labels, Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment. A single company was suddenly responsible for sorting and shipping the vast majority of CDs and records sold in the U.S. market. Unfortunately, it seems that Direct Shot was incapable of taking on the additional work, according to interviews with more than 20 managers, retailers, and label executives. “The whole system collapsed,” says David Azzoni, a 15-year veteran of physical retail, illustrating the frailty of a distribution network that had long been taken for granted.
Thanks for sharing the article.

Zach1998

Just a few notes:

Southbound has about 10m more streams than CP does. Southbound is nearing 60m streams and CP still hasn’t hit 50m.

The Champion was not a radio song (but who listens to radio anymore let’s be honest) but it’s a MASSIVE hit for what it was used for (the Super Bowl). I am a big sports fan and I haven’t gone to a sporting event in the last 4 years that TC wasn’t played pregame before the game started. Also Ludacris helps.

If I Didn’t Love You 100% needs to be added to the D&R deluxe edition (if we get one). That would majorly help the certifications for that album down the road and hopefully to get to platinum
Wouldn't youtube streams count too? I always add the numbers from the official audio/videos from her account with her streams from spotify cause I just assumed they counted. I know that CP has more views on it's official video by about 3 million and its official lyric video has nearly 8 million. I hope those count too.

Zach1998

As for the distribution issue; I have no doubt there is one, but if it's an issue dating back to 2020, then there needs to be preparation on the label's part to work around that, i.e. getting started earlier, to ensure you will have the material by release week. My Savior was released during the distribution issue, but I didn't see people having an issue finding it. Adele's 30 was released during a distribution issue, but I saw billions of those on the shelves (probably too many in fact.)

I think everyone's frustration isn't denying there is an issue, it's that if an issue is happening, the label needs be able to work around the issue, with more extensive planning. Having viynls on release week increased Eric Church's first week sales by nearly 13,000 copies. Given that Carrie has a more passionate fanbase, I could only imagine that she would have brought in even more than that, possibly enough to still make it to #1 on the albums chart.

LilUnderwood

Honestly I think it shows how big streaming is! I think there needs to be more focus on that! I teach middle school and when I talk about listening to music on anything other than Spotify or Apple Music the kids are like ew what are CDs etc.

Also D&R has only been out a month and I think there is still time for it to get certified; it might take longer but we’ve only had one radio single!

Also Grady Smith mentioned in his latest video (about Luke Combs) that he was surprised by album sales and physical sales being low for everyone except Morgan Wallen. He was like idk what’s going on and it’s weird! So I feel as if something is changing and my thought is streaming is taking over lol!

PRGuy79

As for the distribution issue; I have no doubt there is one, but if it's an issue dating back to 2020, then there needs to be preparation on the label's part to work around that, i.e. getting started earlier, to ensure you will have the material by release week. My Savior was released during the distribution issue, but I didn't see people having an issue finding it. Adele's 30 was released during a distribution issue, but I saw billions of those on the shelves (probably too many in fact.)

I think everyone's frustration isn't denying there is an issue, it's that if an issue is happening, the label needs be able to work around the issue, with more extensive planning. Having viynls on release week increased Eric Church's first week sales by nearly 13,000 copies. Given that Carrie has a more passionate fanbase, I could only imagine that she would have brought in even more than that, possibly enough to still make it to #1 on the albums chart.
Agree 100% with this! If an issue was identified 2 years ago, you get creative and backward plan accordingly, knowing that your product should be in stock by release date. If the June release date didn't allow for proper planning to accommodate for supply chain issues and other industry dynamics, then they should have adjusted the roll-out.

adam1995

The issue with prepping for the issue is the backlog is effecting everyone. How far in advance are they to prepare? If they have to start ordering CDs say 6 months in advance, then the album would have to be ready, this changes timelines and extends them so much. It just doesn't seem feasible overall, at least to me.

Eder Rodrigues

My estimations...

Cry Pretty, is now around 1.1 million units. (Certified Gold)
If I Didn't love You is around 1.5 mi (No Certification)
The Champion is around 2.3 million units (Certified Platinum)
Remind Me is around 4.1 million units (Only certified 2x Platinum)
Somethin' Bad is around 3.5 million units (Only Certified 2x Platinum)

For curiosity:
The Fighter - 3.6 mi
Southound - 1.1mi
Love Wins - 650k
Drinking Alone - 600k

Zach1998

My estimations...

Cry Pretty, is now around 1.1 million units. (Certified Gold)
If I Didn't love You is around 1.5 mi (No Certification)
The Champion is around 2.3 million units (Certified Platinum)
Remind Me is around 4.1 million units (Only certified 2x Platinum)
Somethin' Bad is around 3.5 million units (Only Certified 2x Platinum)

For curiosity:
The Fighter - 3.6 mi
Southound - 1.1mi
Love Wins - 650k
Drinking Alone - 600k
Where do you have Temporary Home and See You Again? I think those will bump up in certifications relatively soon from what I’m calculating. What about Dirty Laundry as well?

stan

Wouldn't youtube streams count too? I always add the numbers from the official audio/videos from her account with her streams from spotify cause I just assumed they counted. I know that CP has more views on it's official video by about 3 million and its official lyric video has nearly 8 million. I hope those count too.
Yes since January 3rd 2020:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/billboard-200-counts-youtube-streams.html

EDIT ^that's Billboard.

According to this article, RIAA started counting YouTube views since February 1st 2016:

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/1500-youtube-plays-now-counts-as-an-album-in-the-us/#:~:text=Effective%20from%20yesterday%20(February%201,RIAA's%20Gold%20%26%20Platinum%20Album%20Awards.

Last edited:

Eder Rodrigues

Where do you have Temporary Home and See You Again? I think those will bump up in certifications relatively soon from what I’m calculating. What about Dirty Laundry as well?
Temporary Home 1.8 mi
See You Again 1.7 mi
Dirty Laundry 1.3 mi

Bonus
Blown Away 4.7 mi
Jesus Take the Wheel 3.95 mi
Last Name 1.95 mi
Before He Cheats is the hardest to estimate, but I would say is between 8.8 and 9 mi

Last edited:

PRGuy79

Promos back in December were indicating Ghost Story was certified Gold. I wonder what took so long for RIAA to make it official?

Eder Rodrigues

Promos back in December were indicating Ghost Story was certified Gold. I wonder what took so long for RIAA to make it official?
It's a process that can take a long time, sometimes weeks or months. Once the record label submits all the information, they need to analyze the data before they can certify it. And it may take some time for it to be updated on their website as well. What I don't understand is why Carrie's record label doesn't request all the updates at once. I know they have to pay for it, but I don't think it would be a problem.

RyanVaCarrieFan

It’s been so long without any updates for a lot of past singles! I have to imagine Some Hearts and BHC are diamond. I also think a lot of past singles are looking to be 2x or 3x platinum by now. Anyone want to do rough estimates on past singles?

rangers73

It’s been so long without any updates for a lot of past singles! I have to imagine Some Hearts and BHC are diamond. I also think a lot of past singles are looking to be 2x or 3x platinum by now. Anyone want to do rough estimates on past singles?
I agree the album Storyteller should have already have a aria certification gold and Some Hearts should already be Diamond

Zach1998

I know albums are calculated a little different than singles, but honestly feel like "Storyteller" should be past 2X platinum by now. It's streaming is very strong, with 410 million streams on Spotify.