Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lauren Alaina - New Album Era

kiwigirl

Its Friday here in NZ so I'm listening to it right now and I love it!
Think Anne-Marie's 2002 but country and more about kick ass woman of the 90's. It's very catchy and I def think it deserves radio play!
It's a very cool nostalgic throwback song.

Here are the lyrics - I have put a ? for a few words I just couldn't translate and of course there may be things I got wrong but I think I have it pretty close : )

I was born in 94, daddy drove a beat up ford
And momma made it run on love and music
Backseats where I started singing
All the songs that got me dreaming
I’d scream turn it up and then I’d lose it
I was raised on radio waves where the ladies dominated
Sometimes I close my eyes and just replay it

I just want to feel like ladies in the 90s
Turn the dial and find me some Strawberry Wine
So I can sing all night long acting like I’m Britney
Come on baby hit me just one more time
Hey yeah
Then I feel like a woman
I can feel you breathe when you say my name
Hey I don’t want no scrubs ? cowboy take me away
I want to feel like ladies in the 90s, ladies in the 90s
Hey hey hey

Diva in the living room momma’s heels on after school
Learning all my moves on MTV
They weren’t afraid to make a statement that’s what I call entertainment
All those women paved the way for me
Yeah Southern swing teased up bangs I was matching all their lipstick
Close my eyes all the time I wish I could relive it

Hey yeah
Then I feel like a woman
I can feel you breathe when you say my name
Hey I don’t want no scrubs ? cowboy take me away
Hey hey hey

Wearing leopard leotard singing about broken hearts
Moving on in leather pants so shinny
Females were unstoppable can’t say that’s impossible
My heart will now always be stuck in the 90s

Hey yeah
Here’s your one chance fancy genie in a bottle ?
I’ll tell you what I want what I really really want
You oughta know
Hey hey hey
Hey hey hey

Farawayhills

Lauren has two very strong co-writers on this song, both noted for crossover success. Jesse Frasure is a record producer, who has worked in many genres, as well as with contemporary Pop Country stars like Thomas Rhett and Florida Georgia Line. Amy Wadge is the Welsh Contemporary Folk artist, who has collaborated extensively with Ed Sheeran (and is rumoured to have worked recently with the Dixie Chicks). It's interesting that, as well as Country references, the lyrics of Lauren's song also mention several Pop hits.

The main idea behind the title is almost certainly inspired by K T Oslin's classic solo write,"80s Ladies" (a reminder of the days when it was possible for a woman to break through with her first number one on radio, at the age of 45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqNzbPsD2o

"Srawberry Wine", which is used in the chorus line, was written by Matraca Berg and Deana Carter. (It was a favourite of mine, which I once had playing as the background music on my MySpace page!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4azf0gYyuA

Among other Country references are "Cowboy, Take Me Away" which Martie of the Dixie Chicks co-wrote for her sister Emily's wedding to Charlie Robison; and the line "Here's your one chance Fancy" (revived by Reba McEntire in the 90s, but actually an earlier song, written by Bobbie Gentry, and recorded in Muscle Shoals in 1969).

Lauren makes direct reference to the contrast with the current situation on radio in the lines:
"I was raised on radio waves where the ladies dominated
Sometimes I close my eyes and just replay it"

In that connection, it's worth remembering that 20 people were honoured by the CMA at their Songwriters Luncheon last year, for Triple number ones - and Carrie Underwood and Hillary Lindsey were the only women among the 20. Since then, if anything, the situation seems to becoming even worse, with even Carrie's work apparently finding radio play increasingly difficult. Lauren is currently one artist whom it may be possible for her label to push, through a corporate partnership with I Heart radio.

Incidentally, Lauren uses the same chord sequence in this song's instrumental intro that Carrie used in the chorus to "What I Never Knew I Always Wanted" - though I don't know if that was an intentional tribute.

Momin

Lauren Alaina, despite receiving mixed airplay success, has gained a lot of attention and praise in the industry. Everybody is collaborating with her these days and she's become the go-to female to feature on songs.

adam1995

I don't get the whole Lauren Alaina craze? She has a great voice for sure, but I don't think her songs are all that special, pretty generic. Not sure why people (not necessarily people here, just in general) think she should be the breakout star. She doesn't move the needle at all for me.

Carrieroxmysox2011

I don't get the whole Lauren Alaina craze? She has a great voice for sure, but I don't think her songs are all that special, pretty generic. Not sure why people (not necessarily people here, just in general) think she should be the breakout star. She doesn't move the needle at all for me.

She has a nice personality, I think that's why alot of people like her .

rcramer

Where as I don't get the craze for Kelsey or Maren, both do nothing for me. Voice nor music..... And how 'The Bones" did so well is beyond me...

I at least enjoy Lauren for the most part and feel she is underrated... Same with Mickey Guyton...

adam1995

Where as I don't get the craze for Kelsey or Maren, both do nothing for me. Voice nor music..... And how 'The Bones" did so well is beyond me...

I at least enjoy Lauren for the most part and feel she is underrated... Same with Mickey Guyton...

Kelsea, I agree with, Maren I generally like, but feel she isn't making a concerted effort to stay true to country and really appreciate it, especially lately.

carrieidol1

She has a nice personality, I think that's why alot of people like her .

Honestly, Lauren put the pedal to the metal - so to speak, when she finished ‘Idol’. She has taken her career seriously and continues to write and record music that is true to herself. Some of it cheesy, but much of it is pretty special; “The Locket”, “Dirt Road Prayer”, “Painting Pillows”, “Road Less Traveled”, and “Three” are just some examples of this. She’s great with lighthearted and fun songs, but she has shown great maturity and talent releasing heavier songs, too. She also has a “cry” in her voice which adds a lot of character; not to mention she’s a great vocalist on top of it. In addition, she’s a great personality and does a lot on social media to stay relevant. She’s not an A-lister, but it makes sense why many feel she should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m the same way as some have mentioned earlier about Kelsea and Maren. Don’t want to come off mean at all because music is subjective, but Kelsea is far too bubble gum Taylor Swiftish for my taste, and Maren has never really struck me as the type of person to at least show respect and appreciation for country despite being pretty pop. Please don’t label me as one of those female haters because Carrie is my number one, lol.

I saw Lauren as an opener and have liked a number of songs her songs such as Painting Pillows.. I don’t know if she was just having an off day vocally (I don’t think she was sick), but she sounded ROUGH. It was kind of a shame because I was really looking forward to seeing her, but it is what it is. She hasn’t really come close to me since then.

Steven77536

I like Lauren's voice. Her Georgia drawl is cute too. "Gettin' Good" should have been a bigger hit. I like the message at the end of the song, where she realizes she's satisfied with what she's got instead of what she wishes she had.