Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - Wildcard Era

clh_hilary

I like this album better than her last. I bought "It All Comes Out In The Wash", "Messed With My Head", and "White Trash".

Farawayhills

Bluebird is the second single and will be sent to radios on December 9.

Definitely a good choice!

(And if I can be excused a purely random personal aside - it comes just in time for our General Election! As the result seems likely to be depressing for me and my dreams, I can identify instead with these lines:
"And if the whole wide world stops singing
And all the stars go dark
I'll keep a light on in my soul
Keep a bluebird in my heart"
)

Farawayhills

Miranda was the session guest on the Bob Harris Country Show on BBC Radio tonight (she's not actually in the UK - the sessions are often recorded in Nashville, probably a few weeks before they are broadcast.) Her session included exclusive acoustic versions of "It All Comes Out in the Wash" and "Bluebird", accompanied by Gwen Sebastian and Boo Massey. They were a fresh take on the songs, giving a different insight than the album versions, and in my opinion, well worth hearing. The interview was also interesting, referring to the new album as a liberating experience for her, and mentioning that, although Jay Joyce was a new producer for her, he had played on her early albums, so she had known his work for years. The interview concluded with the audio of the album track of "White Trash", which she picked, with her usual self-deprecating humour.

Bob Harris had to fight a life threatening heart condition earlier in the year, so it's good to hear him back to broadcasting. The other tracks played on tonight's show had, in part, a Country Rock emphasis, but also with touches of nostalgia - it was great to hear Neil Young's "Harvest Moon", and a very interesting 'lost tape' of a '70s song from Michael Nesmith - even for the time, this showed an unusual amount of Western influence in his vocal. And Bob finished with Hank's "Lost Highway" - a definitive Country Music classic, which gives me chills whenever I hear it!

If you can spare an hour, I think the show is worth it. It should be available worldwide (though you may be asked to sign in. or create a free account, which requires a few basic details)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bp82

BlownAway14

I just bought Wildcard! I am so happy that it was finally released in Germany. I could only buy it online for the past month and now I can buy it in my local CD store!

Farawayhills

I'm glad you were able to get the album!

It's not always remembered that Miranda did perform a date in Continental Europe early in her career - at Gstaad in Switzerland. I think it's quite likely that she will tour more on the Continent in future, and i hope she'll include a couple of German cities.

Farawayhills

Some recent updates:

A short illness on tour forced the postponement of two dates, but Miranda seems back on form. This dramatic photo by Jay Trevino shows her performing in full Rock mode, at Anaheim, CA:

https://twitter.com/mirandalambert/status/1231712378481496064/photo/1

On a more serious note, there have been a couple of in-depth articles giving interesting insights into her career and her attitudes towards past and present work

The first highlights the Nashville Critics' poll, which she's dominated for the past 13 years. There's undoubted evidence of that critical favour summarized in the article - understandably, fans of other artists would not tend to concur - but it's intersting that Miranda herself is realistic about the shortcomings of relying on that alone:

"Lambert says she is grateful for the recognition, but knows it’s only half of the equation. The artists she admires — the Willie Nelsons and Dolly Partons of the world — are those who have enjoyed both commercial and critical success. You can’t be a legend with just one or the other, she argues; you have to have both. And in the current climate at country radio, where the cards are stacked against female performers and unconventional songwriters, it’s hard for someone like Lambert to have the chart success that secures a long-term reputation."

https://www.nashvillescene.com/musi...c-critics-poll-miranda-lambert-walks-the-line

The second article is based on the address she gave at the Country Radio Seminar. It contains quite a bit of detail on the early days that fills in some gaps I wasn't aware of. For example, the first song she wrote, at 14, was about the singing ambitions of a girl called Mandy Leigh (an obvious play on her first and middle names). There are also interesting details about her auditions for Nashville Star, and the fact that when the new show actually aired for the first time, she (the youngest contestant) was the first to appear.

"I think of Nashville Star as college. I thought, ‘I have to give it my all. I’m here, I made it. I’m gonna try' … On the first episode, I was the first contestant to do the first song and I was the youngest by 10 years. When I sang Hank Williams’ ‘Settin’ the Woods on Fire,’ the shy girl left forever. All my grit from the bars, all the moments no one was listening -- everything culminated in that moment.”

“I’ve had a career based on songs, not hits. The crowd doesn’t know that ‘Gunpowder’ went to [No.] 9 or ‘Little Red Wagon’ went to [No.] 11 … I’ve always been one of those artists that you can’t count on me having a top five, but I have a great career. I’m lucky enough that people have [sought] out the records and bought tickets anyway,” she said, later admitting that she doesn’t know how to choose radio singles. “[Current single] ‘Bluebird’ is so special, so the fact that people are responding and it's getting adds, it means the world to me. That song is like a breath -- you’ll be fine.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...ert-country-radio-seminar-2020-crs-highlights

Farawayhills

Fans don't always realize how much of the success of tours depends on people we hardly see. Miranda posted this piture as a tribute to her drivers:

"I just want to say thank you to my band and crew for pushing the limits on this tour and doing it with a smile on your face. Our bus drivers and truck drivers drove all night and day with snow chains on the tires , and through another blizzard night before last to get us to our final show of the run (make up show in Denver). And Denver y’all made it all worth it!! Winter touring ain’t for the weak. These are some of our bad ass drivers in front of Elvira. She’s dirty but runnin good through it all! The Wildcard tour is special for all kinds of reasons and these guys one of them."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9SRJezn1vz/

Farawayhills

Among the many aspects of life that will be affected by CoVid19, live music events are bound to be disrupted.

Miranda posted this tweet to fans yesterday (The three albums she recommended were Aubrie Sellers' "Far From Home"; Hailey Whitters' "The Dream"; Caitlyn Smith's "Supernova")

"Sittin’ home. Now is a great time to dive into new music. We can make our living rooms a honky tonk & our porches a dive bar. Most of us can’t play for y’all in person right now but the music is still playing! These 3 are my Saturday Sit-N-Listens" #whatareyoulisteningto

Farawayhills

The video for "Bluebird" premiered today. Although the song is both personal to Miranda, reflecting some of her outlook on life, and is also said to be a tribute to the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville - the new video portrays a rather different aspect. It's nostalgic, glamorous and sophisticated, having a more Continental ambience and suggesting a period that could be either side of World War I. Both the little bluebird and Miranda herself are in cages - and both leave their empty cage to go free at the end. The ending also shows Miranda walking into a dark city scene, with the high-rise fire escapes perhaps suggesting New York (which seems to have long held a place in her heart).

The video seems to be aimed at global audiences, with representation given to a raft of licensing authorities, including Canada, Latin American, Brazilian and Pan-European.

Trey Fanjoy (her most frequent videographer) again directs this one, and Miranda is quoted as saying "I let Trey run with this creatively, she really wanted something super artistic and something a little different than we ever had before. We ran with her ideas cause she's amazing"

LilUnderwood

I liked the video and love this song but I felt like it had meaning but was very similar to Carrie’s videos lately which are more concert like. I’m wondering if that is the direction most videos are going now days?

BlownAway14

I love the song but the video didn't really fit. The bird in a cage thing is good but it's too shiny for me. I imagined more like Carrie Underwood's Smoke Break or the teasers she made of recording Wildcard.
I hope the next video won't take ages to be released. I feel like this song is dead on radio.

pkslongbeach

Miranda looks absolutely fantastic. Love everything about the style and setting. And she does sit well in it. Unfortunately...…….. the song does not. The song is pure ML. And the style of the video is a departure. So the two don't blend to me. But with a different song with a different tone I would have loved this video. (aside from the fact that not enough goes in within it).

I can imagine a lot of things for the song. But this is far from what my mind conjures.

Momin

I have only given the video one watch. The representation of people was the thing that stood out the most to me. However, I'm not a fan of videos with a montage of scenes where the singer is just singing. I like videos to either have a storyline or some symbolism/metaphors (like in Vice). This video was just okay for me. Miranda in a cage in a blue dress was nice though.