Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda Lambert - Wildcard Era

Farawayhills

Yes, Momin, she did plan this version to support the LBGTQ community (and particularly her belief that Gay and Straight people should come together in solidarity and equality - the people appearing in the video are from different orientations). The video is themed around a Pride party, and she cleared the details with her brother, Luke, to check that it would be generally liked and not considered too stereotyped.

You can see quite a long video interview here, discussing her thinking on the remix and the general situation today
glaad interview

it is the first time that she has officially released a remix version.The mixing is by DJ Telemitry, who is actually Jesse Frasure, a well known producer and record exec, who has worked with a number of Nashville Country artists (though often ones like Thomas Rhett and FGL, whose musical style has tended to be quite different from Miranda's)

Luke appears in the video, as do Miranda's husband Brandon, and his brothers , Patrick and Casey.
As far as I can tell, the only other Country artists I was able to spot at the party were the blonde sister duo, Tigirlilly

Farawayhills

Miranda is releasing a new song on October 15th, called if "I Were a Cowboy". A snippet has been shown on social media, and songwriting registration shows that she wrote it with Jesse Frasure (who also engineered the Tequila remix discussed above)

It is possible that this new song may be the forerunner of a new album era - but as there seems to be no news of that at this point, i'm posting it here (though it does not seem to be connected with Wildcard.

(The reason why I think it may herald a new era is that Miranda is scheduled to headline C2C again in the Spring, with return dates in London, Glasgow and Dublin - and that would seem to fit the timing of an advance single for a possible album release. However, I would stress that this is only speculation).

Momin

Miranda does seem to be on quite a roll recently! She released Marfa Tapes in the middle of the Wildcard era, then is releasing the Pistol Annies record, and now this.

Farawayhills

Miranda does seem to be on quite a roll recently! She released Marfa Tapes in the middle of the Wildcard era, then is releasing the Pistol Annies record, and now this.
What I particularly like about that burst of activity is that all three represent different strands of her career - and I'm glad that she is keeping up that mixture. "Marfa Tapes" is the one that reminds me most of the ground she was covering in "The Weight of These Wings", in that it puts particular focus on the singer-songwriter tradition, and has more in common with the Alt-Country end of the spectrum. The Pistol Annies are a project I especially like - and I'm pleased that she's that she's maintained this connection for so long. The new song is presumably the one that she's aiming at the more commercial side of her career.

(In addition, by the way, Miranda is also releasing her first new perfume, through her Idyllwind fashion outlet. It is supposed to have “notes of Georgia sweet peach blossoms, and musky golden sandalwood that stirs memories of the piney woods of East Texas.” - but on the internet, we shall have to take their word for that!)

The new song has been released in full now, with a video available on numerous sites. Apparently, the press release for it says that it is “ushering in her next musical era.” (which must increase speculation that a new album is in the offing).

The theme of the song is actually a longstanding one (with echoes going right back to pioneers of the female side of the genre, like Patsy Montana and Moonshine Kate) - and the clip-clop rhythm and rapid monotone of some of the vocal also recall deep roots in Country. There are also modern touches, such as the vocal echo effects and whistling music in the choruses. To me this combination gives the song a rather dreamy overall feel, while being catchy at the same time.

Miranda's lovely horse - a Gypsy Vanner - and the red truck she has featured throughout her career - appear in the video. But apart from that - it's all Miranda, with no other actors or musicians appearing. To me, that reinforces the sense of it being someon'es dreamy musing about her life - but the video may prove too low key for some tastes. (Further to that, though, although the video footage seen so far has been stretched out by Vevo to the full length of the song, I think it's likely that there will be a different video released, probably with other story line and/or performance elements -- possibly soon after the radio release.)

Some of the reviews I've read see the song as designed as a nudge against the sexism in Country Music. It will be sent to radio on Monday - but whether they will warm to a chorus line like "If I was a cowboy, I'd be the queen" remains to be seen...

Last edited:

Momin

I don't see the "If I was a cowboy, I'd be the queen" as a put off for radio. I think it's very playable and also clever. I think radio will welcome it.

The production of the song sounds an extension of the sound on Wildcard although the production is not by Jay Joyce - Luke Dick wrote on Twitter that he produced it with Jon Randall which I believe is a first for Miranda. If this song is leading to a new album, I think it would have the same commercial appeal as Wildcard but enough experimentation in sound to make it stand out from what mainstream country is putting out - and yet still be different enough from Wildcard! Speculation says that it will be a more Western-themed record, and her recent release of the Marfa Tapes suggests that she might be leaning in that direction more but aimed for radio-friendliness. She did seem to feel very uplifted by the radio success her Wildcard singles had, and I think it has encouraged her to do more of that while not compromising on her personal sound.