Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MLB Thread

JB172

I would really, really like to have money available to resign Arrieta, Rizzo, and Bryant when it comes time, so I do hope that this deal is indeed frontloaded like it is being reported.

Anyway, instead of typing up all of my thoughts, I happened to come across an article this afternoon that sums up my feelings about this deal perfectly: Winter Meetings: Jason Heyward seen as risky buy by teams, execs - MLB - SI.com

They don't seem to be all that concerned with money now that they have one of the best if not the best guy in baseball at running the show.

thaifood

They don't seem to be all that concerned with money now that they have one of the best if not the best guy in baseball at running the show.

The money is coming form a new Cubs TV contract set to take over in (I think) 2017. Same with Arizona, they recently singed a $Billion TV contract.

The problem with this contract is now what do they do? They have set the bar this high, how high do they have to go to sign their younger players when thye become free agents. It was reported that Washington was over $200 million for Heyward, where would that have left them with Bryce Harper?

JB172

The money is coming form a new Cubs TV contract set to take over in (I think) 2017. Same with Arizona, they recently singed a $Billion TV contract.

The problem with this contract is now what do they do? They have set the bar this high, how high do they have to go to sign their younger players when thye become free agents. It was reported that Washington was over $200 million for Heyward, where would that have left them with Bryce Harper?

The team TV contracts are making the clubs a ton of cash.

imacubsfan

The money is coming form a new Cubs TV contract set to take over in (I think) 2017. Same with Arizona, they recently singed a $Billion TV contract.The problem with this contract is now what do they do? They have set the bar this high, how high do they have to go to sign their younger players when thye become free agents. It was reported that Washington was over $200 million for Heyward, where would that have left them with Bryce Harper?
TV deal will kick in in 2020. That means the money will likely be there to extend Rizzo and Bryant, but not Arrieta

thaifood

I can't wait to see what Harper and Trout's first truly big contracts end up being. Those things are going to be massive.

I believe the Angels already did a long term deal with Trout.

I just checked to make sure I wasn't misremembering & in March they did a 6 year $144 million extension.

Last edited:

JB172

I just checked to make sure I wasn't misremembering & in March they did a 6 year $144 million extension.

If that doesn't have any opt outs on Trout's side that is a steal for the Angels.

buckeyecarriefan

All that deal did was bought out his arbitration and first 3 FA years. And those first 3 FA years ended up being worth 34 million.

Come 2021, when he's 29, in his prime, and hitting free agency, I'm guessing he's going to end up over 40 million a year for a 8-10 years. Wouldn't shock me if he ends up with a 400 million dollar contract honestly. And Harper's could be bigger, considering he'll hit free agency at 26 and could easily sign a stupid 13-15 year deal if he wanted. 500 million?

buckeyecarriefan

I didn't think anyone could be worse than Tim McCarver. Harold Reynolds was. Never liked him at ESPN, never liked him on MLB Network, but he took his idiocy to a whole level at FOX. Not going to miss him one bit.

JB172

I am really surprised that the Reds found someone to take Chapman with the possible suspension that he could get.

imacubsfan

I am really surprised that the Reds found someone to take Chapman with the possible suspension that he could get.

Yeah...everyone in the media is talking about how deadly the Yankees' bullpen is going to be as a result of this trade, but it is important to remember that it is contingent based on if (and if so, how long) Chapman gets suspended.

Still a good back end of the bullpen without him, though.