Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monthly Album Discussion- Carnival Ride

countrymusicfan15

Sorry I’m a little late starting this! We’re up to Carnival Ride in the monthly album discussion. Posted below is the full schedule:

Jan-Feb: Some Hearts

March-April: Carnival Ride

May-June: Play On

July: American Idol Season 4

August-Sept: Blown Away/Greatest Hits

Oct-Nov: Storyteller

December-January: Cry Pretty

2021: CU7!

liz278

I love this album too. AAG, So Small, ITYS, The More Boys I Meet, IKYW, and Flat on the Floor. After such a successful debut album, her second album was just as good.

countrymusicfan15

I remember when The More Boys I Meet was rumored to be the 5th single (one of the stations here in Phoenix was actually playing it too) but then ITYS was officially announced soon after. TMBIM sounded sounded so good on the radio too!!

Last edited:

gocountrymusic

This was the album that really made me follow Carrie as an artist. I believe I joined the CMT message boards during the Just A Dream era. In hindsight it was really gutsy of her/ her team to release two ballads back to back but it really paid off for her. I'm ecstatic that she brought JAD back for the tour because although it was well appreciated during the CR era I felt somehow it became an underrated single for her as time passed.

Flat on the Floor- I hit this song on repeat soooo many times on my IPOD. I think it had my highest play count. I listened to it about three times before I listened to the rest of the album the first time. I never got tired of it and it seems like Carrie doesn't either because she brings it back frequently.
All American Girl- I remember reading reviews on this song after the JAD era, criticizing the song for being done before, while the subject matter has been covered before, it fit Carrie's story well so I felt it did its job well. I loved the music video too.
So Small- I remember what ever deal they had going on at the time where the video kept playing. Promo was a little too aggressive for my taste but hey it worked. This song I loved on first listen, then it fell in the background for me and then I started to love it again. I appreciate the big production because it fits the message of there being bigger issues in the world, and I liked the songwriter version where its all stripped because I like the contrast in message and production.
Get Out of This Town- Was my JAM. Loved the sweeping production. It was catchy it, it was light, the writing was concise. This was probably my second favorite uptempo behind FOTF (very high play count too)
Crazy Dreams- So, Carrie was kind of my gateway artist in to the country music world. I listened to a little Faith Hill here and there but other then that not much. At the time this was released, I felt it was too country for my ears and I felt bad because this was clearly Carrie's anthem. It wasn't until I started listening to more country music that this one would grow on me.
I Know You Won't and I Told You So- the album versions did not do much for me. When I heard them live, they took me to another place in completely different ways. I Know You Won't was a clear show-stopper and I would appreciate the lyrics when I got older. The duet of ITYS on American Idol was one of my favorite Carrie performances. The look, the song, the voices, everything about it was perfect.
Last Name- I think this song had high expectations because it was seen to be the BHC of this album, but if we are just talking about this song on its own its a really strong country rocker. I love the live performances of it and how much the band gets into it too when it is performed.
You Won't Find This- This is such an empowering song. Carrie has done songs with the intention of being empowering but this is done in a more subtle way. Just the confidence that the man in the song won't find anyone better than her and intertwined with a beautiful narrative, goosebumps.
The More Boys I Meet- I took myself to seriously when I heard this song so I didn't play it much when I first listened to it. When I came back to though maybe during the BA I really appreciated the production and humor behind it. Carrie really excelled at these light moments in the album.
Twisted- This song got lost in the shuffle for me. I didn't really have a strong feeling for it or against it then and I feel the same way now. Its fine and fits with the CR theme really well its just probably the only forgettable song for me on the album.
Wheel of the World- I loved this song, I think it was the perfect ending to the album. I also think the way Carrie experiments with her voice on this song was some foreshadowing for the Play On album. The chorus is repetitive but hypnotic and I feel Carrie's empathy really sells the song, which has always been one of Carrie's strengths.

I didn't mean to write this much but CR was the album that made me actually follow Carrie as an artist. I will try to respond to posts but want to post my initial thoughts.

txacar

I will never forget the 6 straight hours of So Small on CMT. They also referred to CMT as Carrie Music Television. That was such a fun time. The excitement about CR release was pure joy. I loved the extra CD and the outfit she wore when she sang TMBIM. Also, the unforgettable performance of SS -- will never forget my shock when I first learned about the $6 million butterflies on her beautiful yellow dress. CR was a wonderful era and I made lots of new Carrie friends and fun memories on the old CMT Board.

liz278

I forgot about JAD. One of my all time favorite songs. (So to forget it . . . ) I also loved her live performance of this. And I thought the video was very good too.

I was a fan of her from Idol but this album was when I began to find places where other fans were. I never made an account on the CMT message board or the GAC one but I read everything everyone was saying. And then I found this one.

jaymiee

This album brings back soo many amazing memories. I was 15 turning 16 so I just got my license and remembering blaring Just a Dream, So Small, and IKYW on repeat (as well as the rest of the album).

Bout to go listen to this album in full during work today and try to hold back nostalgic tears

countrymusicfan15

I remember my little sister (she was probably 4 or 5 years old at the time) LOVED the AAG video. This was also the album era when I became a super fan. I remember all of our voting & streaming threads and parties on the CMT/Vh1 and GAC boards! So much fun!! Sometimes at night (well most nights) I would just stream a Carrie video on CMT for a couple hours to help it’s top 20 placement. The good ol’ days!

Wheel of the World is forever my favorite song off of the Carnival Ride album...I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, but I just feel a connection to the lyrics and I also think Carrie’s voice is extra gorgeous on that song. I still love the All-American Girl video and still think it’s so cute that number 12 is the number they used in the video even before she met Mike. Also, I still adore the performance of Just a Dream from the CMA Awards with the intro from the widowed wife.

I think the CR era is when I became a huge fan. I'd followed the SH era somewhat but the CR album really put her on the path to where she is now. I think second albums really set the tone for someone's entire career, somewhat more important than the initial release.

I think it's the best album if you listen to the entire thing. Very cohesive compared to other releases. Flat on the Floor is maybe my favourite, it's also clearly hers considering how often it's sung and it's only an album track. I also really love wheel of the world.

Zach1998

This is one of her best albums. Might be in the minority but I feel Carnival Ride deserves Some Heart’s success. A truly flawless album. Every song could have worked as a single and would have went straight to #1. Also, as a poster posted above, love the cohesiveness of it. This and Storyteller feel like her most cohesive albums.

gocountrymusic

I will never forget the 6 straight hours of So Small on CMT. They also referred to CMT as Carrie Music Television. That was such a fun time. The excitement about CR release was pure joy. I loved the extra CD and the outfit she wore when she sang TMBIM. Also, the unforgettable performance of SS -- will never forget my shock when I first learned about the $6 million butterflies on her beautiful yellow dress. CR was a wonderful era and I made lots of new Carrie friends and fun memories on the old CMT Board.

I loved the target ad. Living in Ny before 94.7 existed the only song I would hear from Carrie If I wasn’t listening to cds was BHC. Hearing even just a snippet of so small on tv was a nice change of pace

countrymusicfan15

Wheel of the World is forever my favorite song off of the Carnival Ride album...I know it’s not everyone’s favorite, but I just feel a connection to the lyrics and I also think Carrie’s voice is extra gorgeous on that song. I still love the All-American Girl video and still think it’s so cute that number 12 is the number they used in the video even before she met Mike. Also, I still adore the performance of Just a Dream from the CMA Awards with the intro from the widowed wife.

I looooove Wheel of The World. The line “don’t know what it is. I’m flying high then I’m wondering why I’m sinking on this ship going down...life keeps on moving anyway” always gets me!

yehchern

CR is one of my favourite album from Carrie. I remember last time at this era, i still do not have internet at home thus I have no idea she had already release so small as the first single. Coincidentally i was listening to my local radio which happen to air AT40 from Ryan Seacrest and he mentioned that Carrie just released So Small and it debuted at no.6 on one of the charts. I was so excited that i went to the internet cafe nearby my house and search for So small on youtube and listening to it for the first time and have chills all over my body! Love the album!

LilUnderwood

I’m probably in the minority here but the more boys I meet holds a special place in my heart! Definitely got me through some bad dating experiences haha!

lizcarlo

When dad was browsing radio I heard Just A Dream song. I asked him to stop so I can listen because her voice was so beautiful. I really liked the song. He ended up liking it as well. I saved my money to buy Carnival Ride. I enjoyed the album so much I bough her debut. That's how I became fan.

Flat On The Floor, I Know You Wont, Just A Dream and So Small songs are my favorites. I love the emotion in I Know You Wont song. That's a single that got away. This is still my favorite Just A Dream performance. I really like the acoustic version.