Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Famous Song from CR?

carriecountrystar

Thisss. I never even considered ITYS when I posted. I like MS as a single more than ITYS.

I never considered ITYS as single bc I never thought it was big enough of a song for carrie to sing but boy was I proven wrong when she sang it live. that time when she sang ITYS at ACM-I was just BLOWN away. and WOW her DRESS was SOOOOO huge but it really worked because the song was big enough to work it whereas when she wore a similar but smaller dress at ACM-it didn't quite have same affect on me.

carriecountrystar

"all american girl" is my pick though "just a dream" comes close too. Even though it wasn't as big as it could have-carrie did a spectacular job on it and I think that song sung live like that made a mark. (-had an impact)

Last edited:

teesharky

All American Girl is the only one that went platinum, and spent 3 weeks at number 1. It also spent several weeks at number 1 in Canada, and got airplay on radio disney. However, Last Name should be platinum in a few weeks as it is less then 20k away. LN also won a Grammy and got performed at the Grammys. So it is close.

So, I would say, tie between Last Name and All American Girl.

Thisss. I never even considered ITYS when I posted. I like MS as a single more than ITYS.
I didn't think I could like a single less than ITYS but then MS showed up haha. I dont hate it, they're just definitely my least two favorite singles. All the others are so high, then there's such a gap until ITYS, DFTRM and MS, especially MS haha

Carrieflattsfan

I didn't think I could like a single less than ITYS but then MS showed up haha. I dont hate it, they're just definitely my least two favorite singles. All the others are so high, then there's such a gap until ITYS, DFTRM and MS, especially MS haha

I don't like the recorded version of ITYS, but I LOVE hearing Carrie perform it live. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually love MS, both as a single and an album track. The sincerity and tone of Carrie's vocals on this song are incredible. Or it could be because I'm a female and hope to get married someday...haha. :)

jaks_weyn

thats weird I would have always considered ITYS as the least popular song and I had no idea it was played in other countries

I never thought of that as well... I think some people could relate to it... and it has a sweet melody plus carrie's voice is excelleeeeeennnnnnt... but then again, i still say AAG is the most famous... people here also know the song... :D

"all american girl" is my pick though "just a dream" comes close too. Even though it wasn't as big as it could have-carrie did a spectacular job on it and I think that song sung live like that made a mark. (-had an impact)

plussss... AAG made rock band 2! people made me sing it awhile ago because they know i'm a CU fan... and it was hard to sing because it is so high especially for boys.. i felt like my vocal cords are going to snap! haha... oh well... now i know how hard carrie songs are to sing... :D

jaks_weyn

AAG is on Rock Band 2? <facepalm> It's like they don't even know the definition of "rock."

There were lots of country songs in Rock Bond 2, which somewhat surprised me... Last Name was a better choice for RB2, IMO... but well, looks like they chose AAG... I didn't notice if they made a more "rock" sounding version of AAG 'cause I was busy trying to reach Carrie's not (which I failed miserably ehehe)... But just seeing Carrie's face in that game was just a great treat for me... :D

Funny thing that Rock Band 2 has lots of non-rock songs... I think there are TS songs there too...

carrieultimate

It seems to me that all the singles from CR are definitely famous. But if I had to pick just one I would say Last Name. From my experiences it is the song that most of my friends (that aren't really Carrie fans and not huge country fans either) know. There was this one time we were all in the car and LN happened to come on the radio and of course I turned it up and got excited and then both my friends were like "I love this song!" I really was not expecting a response like that to LN, but I guess there's no denying a good song! :)

allamericangirl8

That's just disgusting. I'm tired of the word "rock" getting swung around. In Hannah Montana's theme song she says she "rocks out the show." Lol. Yes, because pop and rock are practically synonymous.

But pop has roots in rock. Country has no roots.

Whatever. I'm pleased Carrie is on a video game, but really? On RB? That's just ridiculous. If I made a disco video game, I wouldn't be putting Lithuanian folk metal.

jaks_weyn

That's just disgusting. I'm tired of the word "rock" getting swung around. In Hannah Montana's theme song she says she "rocks out the show." Lol. Yes, because pop and rock are practically synonymous.

But pop has roots in rock. Country has no roots.

Whatever. I'm pleased Carrie is on a video game, but really? On RB? That's just ridiculous. If I made a disco video game, I wouldn't be putting Lithuanian folk metal.

Yeah I know what you mean... I don't know what a rock song today sounds like...
Oh well... At least they recognized Carrie... That would at least help her in her popularity...
I think it would be more ridiculous if they put a Carrie song in... dance dance revo...

Yeah i think AAG is the most popular also

She didn't perform it on big shows but still it reached plantinum

And it did perform well in Asian market

Farawayhills

Hits and charts aren't really my scene, so I'll leave that side of the discussion to the experts.

But on the reception of the songs, I think the two standouts, that will be long remembered are "Just a Dream" and "I Know You Won't". I've already talked about them in the top three thread - but at the risk of repeating myself, I really do feel that the vocal on IKYW, especially, is the best I've heard from any contemporary artist in Mainstream Country (whether long established or young). Both those songs are hugely credible performances, which should show any doubter who's a serious music fan (as opposed to a prejudiced hater) what a truly great artist Carrie is. I think those two will be the most famous in the long term, and are candidates for some career spanning tribute in the future.

I'll relate some of the other points people have made to the position in the UK (where, sadly, Carrie's been let down by lack of promotion, even though Simon Fuller is English)
The Country Music audience here, and in Ireland, consists of roughly three groups Firstly the contemporary Country audience - often youthful, and mainly female - who are more knowledgeable, through the internet, than the record companies or radio seem to realise, and have active Carrie fan groups, their own covers of Carrie songs, and pleas for Carrie to tour. Although not actually "famous", she's already better known here than she probably suspects herself. Several of the songs on CR would go down well with that audience - AAG would be a good example, for its music and universal aspirational message - though its title might seem too localized for radio here. SS might be a more obvious choice, and should do well, if given the chance. Lady Antebellum, and the Nameless One, have shown that new acts, still identified as "Country" in the press, can break through here with promotion. (Prejudice against "Country" does exist, especially among some boys, dance music fans and middle-aged Rock fans, but it's not universal, and not shared by all DJs)

Secondly, there are the Neo-traditionalists, who are a very loyal audience, and often remember Randy Travis with great affection. Many of them might never have heard of Carrie before ITYS - but her solo version was played here, mainly on the regional stations that carry a weekly Country slot , and I think it did her quite a lot of good. Obviously that sort of music is not likely to predominate at this stage of her career - but one or two other examples would seem a good idea on albums.

Thirdly, there are the hard-core Americana fans (like me). Some of us prefer to call the music "Roots Country" though. We're proud of Oklahoma for giving us Stillwater and the Red Dirt bands. This group is the most active in supporting American bands that tour the club scene here regularly (though most of them may be almost unknown to commercial Nashville fans). I'd despair of getting most of this group to appreciate Carrie - but I'm not into despair, and I do try. What I say to them is, put aside your preconceptions about Nashville artists - listen to the range of styles, listen to the vocal artistry, listen to to the spirit - those are all part of Country Music, and Carrie has them in spades. The problem is - the Mainstream and Roots audiences hardly mix. Songwriters and session musicians can bridge the gap. but headline artists find it difficult to be Mainstream and Alternative at the same time (the Dixie Chicks managed it for a few years, until their attitude got too Alternative and lost them most of the Mainstream)

Anyway - CR was a great album, with a potential to appeal to varied audiences- but, in terms of promotion, it missed the bus in Britain and Ireland. Hopefully they'll push the next album more.

quincyeyes

I think AAG will continue it's longevity and I think it will have a special place in country music. It is the best seller from CR and often the most played song from the album. I think Last Name will get more appreciation down the line. I hope it will be recognized on it's own without any thoughts that she was trying to re-create BHC although obviously the music video plays into that. It's a fun song - a fun, country song that men in country seem to so adeptly sell and which the public embrace. I'm glad Carrie has this in her catalog. For me personally, JAD is one of her all-time best songs not only b/c of the song but b/c her out of this world vocal choices and vocal achievements. I will never understand why this song has sort of slipped through the cracks. It's very strange for me.

Last edited: