Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My “My Gift” review (may contain light spoilers)

holding0n2jesus

I got to listen to “My Gift” a few minutes ago and wanted to post a simple review hoping to not give too much away. The only song I didn’t review is “Let There Be Peace” because we’ve all already heard it.

Just FYI—-this may contain SOME spoilers depending on what you consider to be a spoiler,

As an overall feel, the album is done is a very simple, almost acoustic style with a couple orchestra arrangements thrown in. This is, first and foremost, a VOCAL album. Her voice is the key element on EVERY track. Here is a track by track run down:

Joyful, Joyful is beautifully done in stripped-back acoustic ballad style. Her vocals are quite haunting on it.

O Come All Ye Faithful is also very simply done with an orchestra. It’s done in traditional Christmas hymn style and her vocals are emotional throughout.

Little Drummer Boy. ISAIAAAHHHH!!!! He sings the second verse of the song. He’s SO ADORABLE! Prepare to have your dang hearts melted. At the end, Carrie provides harmonies for Isaiah in the final “me and my drum, me and my drum...”. It’s so adorable!

Sweet Baby Jesus will be a huge contemporary Christian hit for Carrie if she plays her cards right. If you’ve ever heard “Secret of Giving” by Reba, the guitar medley in it makes me think of that. The chorus says, “Sweet baby Jesus come down to love us, to lie in a manger so far from home. You could have left us helpless and so lost but you chose to save us, sweet baby Jesus.” It’s a gorgeous song.

Hallelujah (feat. John Legend) is another song about peace on earth mixed with hints of a love song. It’s a gorgeous piano ballad and John and Carrie’s voices together is MAGIC. This must be a single. It’s, by far, the shining moment on the album. Both of their vocals just haunted me and sent chills up and down my spine. The chorus rings out, “Let the earth stand still, the church bells ring ‘Silent Night’ as the angels sing ‘hallelujah, hallelujah.’ Let the magic warm the moonlight air. Hear the choirs join in, singing everywhere ‘hallelujah, hallelujah.’” GORGEOUS song!!!!!!!!!

O Holy Night. If you were upset that she re-recorded this, you won’t be after hearing her new version. HOLY. HELL. Her voice. That note... CHILLS. She does sing the second verse, “Truly he taught us to love one another...” The arrangement is simple and uses an orchestra. When she hits that “Christ is the Lord,” immediate goosebumps. Her shining moment, like the Celine Dion version, is on that final “Noel.” It almost sounds like it was recorded in one take... I mean that in a good way. It’s a stunning version of the song.

Mary, Did You Know. The arrangement is done with a mixture of piano and finger-picking guitar and some pop-style drums midway through the song. Her vocals are incredibly emotional in a way I was NOT expecting. The emotion just had me tearing up. Her voice has a growl in it at the end with “Oh, Mary did you know?” Her passion and faith shines through here. Carrie’s version of this song is everything you would expect it to be and more.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. This is acoustically done with a couple guitars. It really had me feeling nostalgic and remembering my childhood christmases. I felt emotional listening to it. If I had to pick a favorite track on the album, this is it. I will listen to this over and over again. There is no real “power.” On that final “highest bough,” her voice goes into a gentle falsetto back into “and have yourself...” it’s gorgeous. It’s very stripped back and allows the listener to remember their own Christmas memories.

Away In A Manger. Another simple, almost acoustic arrangement. Another simple Christmas hymn done quite simply. Carrie’s voice, once again, shines. It’s a gorgeous rendition of the song. There is a key change near the end that allows her voice to shine through even more.

Silent Night. Carrie’s voice on this is everything I ever could’ve dreamed of. Carrie puts her own vocal spin in a couple spots and there is an orchestra backing up her up midway through the song. It’s simple and it’s gorgeous as is the rest of the album.

The shining moments, for me, are Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Hallelujah, and O Holy Night. Everything else is beautiful and simple in its own beautiful way.

You will NOT be disappointed if you love real true traditional Christmas music. This is an album you can trim your tree to or just listen to on Christmas Eve while making dinner and drinking egg nog. It’s an album you’ll want on while watching the snow fall or just driving around looking at the lights. It made me feel many things and Christmas nostalgia is the main thing I felt listening to the album all the way through.

Last edited:

Hil

I was excited before, now I really cant' wait. Thanks so much for sharing.

Smokyiiis

Oh how exciting! The magic is about to unfurl! Gathering up some hot cocoa and waiting impatiently for Friday!!!!!!

Gosh this made me more excited also...I’m holding out until Friday though to listen even if the snippets on iTunes become available though!! Carrie seemed so proud of how Isaiah did on the song in her press conference at the ACMs, so I’m really excited to hear that one in particular.

CU4ever

I'll be waiting to listen to the album until tomorrow at 12/11C when it's really out. Sad for poor Carrie the album leaked so it will decrease streams, etc.

Although it leaked I haven't seen anyone other than on here talking about it which I guess is good...we will all be streaming it and buying it regardless of if we have heard it before or not. Hopefully it stays that way until tomorrow night when it officially comes out. I hope Covid delays don't impact Target having it in stock on Friday...I doubt it, but fingers crossed.

lizcarlo

As an overall feel, the album is done is a very simple, almost acoustic style with a couple orchestra arrangements thrown in. This is, first and foremost, a VOCAL album. Her voice is the key element on EVERY track. Here is a track by track run down:

Honestly when I read this my excitement level went through the roof. It sounds so gorgeous. Thanks for going into detail making me even more excited. It’s going to be hard but I’m waiting until I can buy it then listen to it on the way home.

rgelo

I love little drummer boy. I kinda wish that it was a tad bit longer. Isaiah is bajillion times better than the bro country artists that we hear on the radio. I also like SBJ and Hallelujah more than LTBP.

NC State Carrie Fan

I’m not a huge fan of Christmas music if I’m being honest and I like more of the upbeat newer Christmas stuff - so the album isn’t my favorite BUT Sweet Baby Jesus is SOOOOO good. Def the highlight of the album IMO and I can def see that being played on a radio station around Christmas time.

montdu39

Her vocals are angelic, powerful, and emotional on this album. The album is very vocal focused, which I love. Her vibrato is especially noticeable in these songs, making it feel very emotional.

Love it. Some of her best vocals ever. The note in Oh Holy Night puts her version equal to Celine’s, which is a hell of a compliment.

montdu39

I agree with the OPs standouts. Silent Night is also up there.

Her vibrato is especially noticeable in these songs, making it different from any other recordings of hers. Her voice sounds so emotional, pure, angelic. INCREDIBLE!

liz278

I hope all of you that has listened to this will stream it a lot!!!!! I don't begrudge you guys but I always hear about her streaming numbers and how low they are, I hope you contribute a lot to the numbers.

montdu39

^duh haha. I can’t wait to support my queen.

(In response to whether I will be streaming this album)