Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'My Gift' - Christmas cd out Sept 25

PRGuy79

I know this was most likely intended as a rhetorical question, but I'll go ahead and answer anyway - YES, I can and do know how to sing. But that's neither here nor there, and is also quite frankly a very juvenile point to make and question to ask just because you disagree with someone's opinion- as though it bears any relevance to anything. It's just a vapid, overused, and cheap attempt to deligitimize an expressed sentiment that you either don't appreciate and/or just wholly disagree with. Let's say that the recipe of your favorite dish at your absolute favorite restaurant was suddenly changed, but you preferred the original recipe and kind of resent the fact that it was even changed. Now, say you didn't cook or didn't know how to cook ... should that fact entirely negate your opinion and your right to duly express it, as a long-time faithful and loyal customer of the establishment? It's the same thing. I don't like the key change; I think it sounded better in the original key, and there's also some odd type of effect on the vocal (which did not sound like a raw take at all) that I dislike. I have every right in this universe to express both of those points. My thoughts, my preference, my opinion
...Except in this case, the recipe wasn't changed. A new dish was added. If you liked the original recipe, enjoy that version and don't sample the new one. Now, we have a second choice. One is a duet and one is not. There are differences and each/both can be enjoyed for what they are. And for goodness sakes, we haven't even had an opportunity to hear it!

I think the reaction to your post was as much about the perceived negativity and tone than it was the content or your right to say it. There's too much negativity in the world - and too many critics. This is a fan forum. We can disagree on what we like/don't like, but I hope we can do it politely. And in the process, I would argue that our critique shouldn't be harsher (or more rude, in this case) than the countless professional critics who are paid to nitpick. At least their opinions are usually professional and free of emotion. We can do better.

FanSince04

Upset me? Lol, my threshold for "getting upset" is substantially beyond the reach of some random on the internet asking me if I can sing in response to an opinion that I posted, LOL! Again, it's just a very silly point, and falls under the corny but predictable "can you do better?" go-to rebuttal of 15-year-old stans trying to checkmate anyone serving opinions that they don't like, lol. But do you!
Your actions say otherwise. Have a great day!

MelissaD

...Except in this case, the recipe wasn't changed. A new dish was added. If you liked the original recipe, enjoy that version and don't sample the new one. Now, we have a second choice. One is a duet and one is not. There are differences and each/both can be enjoyed for what they are. And for goodness sakes, we haven't even had an opportunity to hear it!

I think the reaction to your post was as much about the perceived negativity and tone than it was the content or your right to say it. There's too much negativity in the world - and too many critics. This is a fan forum. We can disagree on what we like/don't like, but I hope we can do it politely. And in the process, I would argue that our critique shouldn't be harsher (or more rude, in this case) than the countless professional critics who are paid to nitpick. At least their opinions are usually professional and free of emotion. We can do better.
It's not a "new dish," it's the same song - just a new and "updated" take on it. But the thought actually occurred to me while I was typing out that response that someone would try to split hairs with the analogy and completely gloss over the main takeaway, lol. The point was that people as fans, viewers, patrons - and just as members of a society, in general- express opinions on things that they don't necessarily partake in themselves; It's a social practice that has become so normalized that it really just serves as a built-in expectation of human interaction at this point. You're allowed to have opinions on food without being a master chef; You're allowed to have opinions on politics and specific political candidates without actually running for office yourself, or having any firsthand experience in the realm of politics. You're allowed to offer opinions on sports that you enjoy watching but don't actually play. Etc, etc. etc. The list goes on and on and on. You can't cherry pick which opinions are acceptable to express and which are not based on what YOU agree with or disagree with. It makes you look like a hypocrite.

FanSince04

Exactly!

PRGuy79

It's not a "new dish," it's the same song - just a new and "updated" take on it. But the thought actually occurred to me while I was typing out that response that someone would try to split hairs with the analogy and completely gloss over the main takeaway, lol. The point was that people as fans, viewers, patrons - and just as members of a society, in general- express opinions on things that they don't necessarily partake in themselves; It's a social practice that has become so normalized that it really just serves as a built-in expectation of human interaction at this point. You're allowed to have opinions on food without being a master chef; You're allowed to have opinions on politics and specific political candidates without actually running for office yourself, or having any firsthand experience in the realm of politics. You're allowed to offer opinions on sports that you enjoy watching but don't actually play. Etc, etc. etc. The list goes on and on and on. You can't cherry pick which opinions are acceptable to express and which are not based on what YOU agree with or disagree with. It makes you look like a hypocrite.
It's not the opinion I'm questioning. It is the way it was expressed. We can do better.

MelissaD

It's not the opinion I'm questioning. It is the way it was expressed. We can do better.
I express my opinion the way I want to - not the way that you, or anyone else, may like me to. I see no need to sugarcoat my thoughts (or be "professional," as you put it) when this IS a fan forum, and I'm a long-time fan that has paid their dues with over a decade-and-a-half's worth of consistent support for every single one of her projects. If there's something that I don't like, I'm going to express it accordingly. I don't know what else to tell you. -shrug-

Louisa

Carrie is releasing a Target Exclusive of My Gift: Special Edition!

• Carrie Underwood will be releasing a Special Edition of her Christmas album- My Gift on September 24th. The new Special Edition version will include all 11 tracks from 2020 version as well as 3 additional/new track including “Favorite Time Of Year”, “All Is Well”, and “Let There Be Peace/Something In The Water” that was performed on her HBO Max special- “My Gift: A Christmas Special from Carrie Underwood”
  • Target Edition includes exclusive poster

carrieforV

It's a money grab from the label, I love Carrie but I'm just going to listen on Spotify and not it's annoying that record labels to this.. only 3 new songs...

FanSince04

It's a money grab from the label, I love Carrie but I'm just going to listen on Spotify and not it's annoying that record labels to this.. only 3 new songs...
Yes, but labels need to make money too. I personally like having copies of her CD’s so I will buy it. It will boost Carrie’s sales of the album… she tends to fare better with physical sales vs. steaming.

PRGuy79

Yes, but labels need to make money too. I personally like having copies of her CD’s so I will buy it. It will boost Carrie’s sales of the album… she tends to fare better with physical sales vs. steaming.
Exactly! This is a business. And any smart business strategy helps boost Carrie's career stats, which is a legacy issue. Other labels do this and other artists reap the rewards (and accolades). If we want Carrie to continue being a top-selling artist, we need to embrace every strategic decision that is done to reinforce that.

Last edited:

jaks_weyn

glad to be able to purchase FTOY now.. AIW is very similar to the first recording without Michael W. Smith and at a lower key.. i like how you can hear Carrie clearly in all parts with lots of head voice and powerful belts... the last one is 8 and a half minutes long... SITW plays immediately after LTBP... It ends with a minute of SITW instrumental...

hope they promote FTOY with a fun and creative music video!

simonplay

glad to be able to purchase FTOY now.. AIW is very similar to the first recording without Michael W. Smith and at a lower key.. i like how you can hear Carrie clearly in all parts with lots of head voice and powerful belts... the last one is 8 and a half minutes long... SITW plays immediately after LTBP... It ends with a minute of SITW instrumental...

hope they promote FTOY with a fun and creative music video!
Wow at a note 8 MINUTES and a half long! Is that a new record? 😂

Knowing Carrie wouldn't surprise me though! 😅