Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Savior (Christian album)

Bookgirl36

I’m going to have to skip this one... I’m not religious in the slightest. I just can’t stomach the music. But I do hope it does very well for her. I love seeing her so happy getting to record music that she loves even if it may not be my cup of tea. Hopefully we get a mainstream album sometime next year too, 

You don’t have to be religious to listen to gospel songs,I would think that even if you’re not religious that you could still listen to that music.But as I realized,not every Carrie fan is a Christian or overtly religious so an album like that would probably rub a lot of fans the wrong way.Like one person said,it’s weird to have a name like yours and you said you’re not religious in any sense of the word.I just don’t know why you would keep a name like that if you’re not religious or a Christian.

hjj

It is ok if people do not support this album. There will be many that choose not to support this, but likely some will support it that would not have supported her other endeavors. It is what Carrie wants to do and we get to choose to buy/download/stream or ignore.

Burst

I think it’s important that regardless, we support each other’s opinions. I’m not religious in the slightest, but I’m excited for new vocals from Carrie and that her Christian fans will get something they’ve wanted for years.

Still going to buy this obviously.

Farawayhills

You don’t have to be religious to listen to gospel songs,I would think that even if you’re not religious that you could still listen to that music.

That's certainly true. Gospel Music is an important part of the tradition of the various strands of Roots Music. It was, for example, one of the musical threads that led into the development of Rock 'n' Roll (there is some irony in that, since many people of Faith, in both Mainline and Evangelical churches, resented Rock 'n' Roll for its secular lyrics and the exaggerated sexuality of some of its performances - but, for al that, the musical connections are very evident. In modern times, the overlap between the traditions has often continued,)

This is an example of a traditional Gospel revival style - the lead singer is Jamie Lin Wilson, a much loved figure both in Faith circles and on the Texas/Oklahoma Red Dirt scene, who has sometimes performed with the Turnpike Troubadours (who grew up in Carrie's home area)

I would say it's perfectly possible to appreciate music like that, both as an inspirational hymn, and as a vibrant part of the tradition that grew into Country, Blues, Bluegrass and Rock. Music like that doesn't have to confine itself to a particular category of belief or disbelief in the literal message of the lyrics (important though that will be for many)

bigd79

I will admit i’m not overly religious and i’m not as excited for a gospel album as i was the christmas album, i would much prefer the beginning of a new studio country album. (don’t get me wrong i’m still excited to get new Carrie music!) That being said, i feel like this was going to happen at some point, i did not expect it to be this soon as i thought it would be something she would put out long after her radio days were behind her. I feel like this album coming out now instead of later is a direct result of covid. Knowing she will likely not tour til 2022 at the earliest it probably just felt like the perfect time to put something like this out. I just hope she has her first single ready for her next country era ready to go by no later than this summer or early fall, as it will have been a year since she will have had anything at radio by that time. And when she does release that new country single, i hope its something that radio will not be able to ignore! It is something i am worried about considering how the CP era went.

monkeyboy16

Not a very religious person, but Jesus Take the Wheel made me fall in love with Carrie and SITW is my favorite song. I’ll support the album because I’m sure the vocals will be incredible and I’m excited for possible Grammy prospects. Both Reba and Hillary Scott managed to pull of wins in the gospel categories, so fingers crossed Carrie will too

Regardless of people's opinions about My Savior, one good thing about this coming out towards the start of next year that everyone can hopefully agree on is that by the time her next country album is released, she should certainly be able to go on tour with that album shortly afterwards. If she was going to hypothetically release a country album in the place of My Savior at the same time, I really don't think she would do a complete tour in support of it. I still think we should get some type of typical country music by the end of next year (at least a lead single), but I have a feeling everyone and their brother is going to be releasing music then too. Carrie doing this type music that she truly loves is probably good for preventing burn out from the traditional album cycles also.

lolita55

I am not a religious person, and I will admit that I am picky when it comes to gospel music. But gospel music is beautiful and anything Carrie does is good. So I am looking forward to it.

MelissaD

Just praying we don't get an album chock-full of "Sweet Baby Jesus"-esque lullaby hymns. I need some variety that showcases more than just one dimension of her voice and musicality.. Some gospel choirs, some vocal gymnastics, growls, etc. I want a full-on viscerally engaging worshipping experience. Give me the softs, the louds, the highs, the lows, and everything in between. Hopefully she will draw some inspiration from Yolanda Adams, since she already collaborated with her.

adam1995

She said it will be hymns she grew up with, I'm sure that means mostly songs we've heard of. It shouldn't end up being a surprise when the tracklist comes out, and I'm sure she'd rather stick to tradition when it comes to traditional hymns. Doubt we'll get overproduced pop messes with these songs.

LilUnderwood

I’m really excited about this project especially hearing her sing hymns that are most special to her! I look forward to listening to this for years to come and sharing it with family!

Bookgirl36

Just praying we don't get an album chock-full of "Sweet Baby Jesus"-esque lullaby hymns. I need some variety that showcases more than just one dimension of her voice and musicality.. Some gospel choirs, some vocal gymnastics, growls, etc. I want a full-on viscerally engaging worshipping experience. Give me the softs, the louds, the highs, the lows, and everything in between. Hopefully she will draw some inspiration from Yolanda Adams, since she already collaborated with her.

What was so wrong with Sweet Baby Jesus?I actually loved Sweet Baby Jesus and really related to it. There is nothing wrong with her doing those types of songs.Look,I love the vocal gymnastics,the gospel choir type music just as much as the next person but there needs to be a balance of the soft,slow songs & the loud powerful songs,you can’t just expect her to do one type of song when she can sing anything loud or soft.That’s just my opinion but you don’t have to agree with it if you don’t want to.

PRGuy79

Sweet Baby Jesus is one of my favorites - lyrically, melodically, and artistically. It comes straight from Carrie's heart and it moves me every time.

MelissaD

She said it will be hymns she grew up with, I'm sure that means mostly songs we've heard of. It shouldn't end up being a surprise when the tracklist comes out, and I'm sure she'd rather stick to tradition when it comes to traditional hymns. Doubt we'll get overproduced pop messes with these songs.

I know exactly what she said. I'm just hoping that super-stripped down, mellow hymns that sound like lullabies aren't the only thing we hear on the album. Who's talking about overproduced pop messes, btw? Yolanda Adams is a soul and gospel singer.

What was so wrong with Sweet Baby Jesus?I actually loved Sweet Baby Jesus and really related to it. There is nothing wrong with her doing those types of songs.Look,I love the vocal gymnastics,the gospel choir type music just as much as the next person but there needs to be a balance of the soft,slow songs & the loud powerful songs,you can’t just expect her to do one type of song when she can sing anything loud or soft.That’s just my opinion but you don’t have to agree with it if you don’t want to.

So ... you agree with me. I said that I don't want just one type of song on the album, and you basically just said the exact same thing. So what is there for me to disagree with?

adam1995

I know exactly what she said. I'm just hoping that super-stripped down, mellow hymns that sound like lullabies aren't the only thing we hear on the album. Who's talking about overproduced pop messes, btw? Yolanda Adams is a soul and gospel singer.

[/FONT]

Sometimes the production gets far too carried away. That's what I meant. And I literally never said anything about Yolanda Adams. If she's on the record fine, if not, I don't care. I just don't want these songs to sound like they are trying to appeal a pop crowd when that is not the kind music this is.

Last edited:

MelissaD

Sometimes the production gets far too carried away. That's what I meant. And I literally never said anything about Yolanda Adams. If she's on the record fine, if not, I don't care. I just don't want these songs to sound like they are trying to appeal a pop crowd when that is not the kind music this is.

I assumed you had employed the phrase "overproduced pop messes" as a disparaging reference to the kind of stylings that I mentioned in my initial post. That's why I brought up Yolanda Adams, since I specifically cited her as an example of the sound I was referring to, and because she is by no means a pop artist. I thought that's what you were trying to imply since you quoted me.

montdu39

Totally agree! I hope we get insane vocals with great choirs, vocal gymnastics, high notes, call and response, etc. She has the perfect voice to sore and create vocal moments. I hope she doesn’t just play it safe and sing soft hymns.

I want the ending of “Church Bells” at the CMT awards X 10. lol