Carrie Underwood Fans

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pink or Purple?

Kizmet311

I can be the most indecisive person in the world when it comes to picking things out for the new house we are building. My latest situation is that I can't decide how to decorate my toddler's room. I found the most beautiful butterfly sheets and curtains at Restoration Hardware and they are my jumping off point. Ivory, vintage sheets with pink and purple butterflies. I have tried to let my daughter have a little input, but every time I ask her what color room she wants, she changes her mind. Sometimes I ask if she wants pink or purple and she says blue, lol. So, even though I would like to let her have some input, I know she is too young to make up her mind for more than a day. Just a note - the last time I asked her she said pink and I decided pink would be pretty and girly, so I ordered pink shams and a pink duvet cover, as well as matching pink paint for her walls.

Well, I placed that order on Friday or Saturday and probably on Monday I started second guessing it all. Restoration Hardware is not a cheap store and I spent a decent amount of money on the bedding and paint. I promised by husband that I would use it for at least 5-7 years before changing it again, hopefully not before she is 12 or 13. So, first, she has an ivory bed. The pink is a light "petal" pink and I'm afraid it won't pop against the ivory bed. Second, I am not sure I can handle an all pink room, bedding and all the walls for 5-7 years. I'm also afraid that while my daughter my love pastel pink now, she won't in a few short years. I think the purple/lilac would probably grow with her more, because even as an adult, I wouldn't mind having lilac walls or bedding. Plus, the lilac will contrast better with the ivory bed and curtains.

So, while she was in dance class yesterday, I called Restoration Hardware to see if the order had shipped to see if I could change all of the pink items to purple. It had shipped, but they put a UPS redirect on the paint since it shipped yesterday and said as soon as it comes back to them, they will send out the lilac paint. They couldn't recall the bedding shipment since it had both the butterfly and pink bedding in the same box and I still want the butterfly stuff. So, they are going to check to see when I receive it and then send UPS to pick back up the pink stuff. Anyway, already last night and this morning, I am now second guessing THAT decision. I know that since I will receive the pink bedding, I could just keep it and stop the exchange. The paint would still have to be dealt with. Perhaps I shouldn't do a monochromatic room with the walls and bedding the same color, but I can't help but think my daughter would want pink or purple walls. If I go with pink paint and bedding, I could always paint the walls a neutral color if she tires of the pink in a few years, although she would still have to keep the bedding a little longer.

Can anyone help this indecisive mommy, lol?

maddkat

Staff member
purple is the better choice of the two imo.
happy0017.gif

but being its a kids room I'd have used cheaper local paint and changed it every couple years to what she wanted
are you considering making part of one wall a chalkboard using chalkboard paint? Those are always cool to have.

Reactions: Hil

Ann055

I agree, purple is the better choice of the two. Chalkboard paint is a great idea too, especially when they are young and want to draw on the walls. Good idea, Donna!

Reactions: Hil

Kizmet311

purple is the better choice of the two imo.
happy0017.gif

but being its a kids room I'd have used cheaper local paint and changed it every couple years to what she wanted
are you considering making part of one wall a chalkboard using chalkboard paint? Those are always cool to have.

The paint was on sale for $28 a gallon for satin paint, so it actually wasn't any more expensive than paint at Lowe's or whatever our builder will purchase (Porter Paints, I think). I just went ahead and got it so that I know 100% it will match the bedding since when I pick colors from the builder, I'm not going to be able to get samples to try on the wall like I would if I were painting it myself.

Purple is definitely my color of choice, always, lol. I just wondered since she is a 3 year old and has expressed that she likes the pink if I was being a selfish mommy for not just letting her have her pink room right now. I wouldn't be able to change the pink bedding, but the walls could definitely be changed in a couple years if she outgrew the pink.

It's really the bedding that is expensive and can't change for a while.

Kizmet311

I agree, purple is the better choice of the two. Chalkboard paint is a great idea too, especially when they are young and want to draw on the walls. Good idea, Donna!

I do appreciate you all commenting on such a silly topic, lol. It's amazing the things I can let stress me out and not be able to make decisions. The chalkboard paint would be cool too. I hadn't even thought about it. Since our builder only gives us a set amount of colors and then charges $100 for each additional color beyond that, I was trying to keep the girls' bedrooms to just one color each. My ideal situation would be to do the pink or purple on the top half of the walls with a neutral or grey on the bottom half. I had chair rail in my daughter's nursery with the two different colors on each half and I love that, but not sure my husband will let me add the cost of chair rail this time. He did it himself at our old house.

Heidi58

Hi, new here and I am just reading it and here she used the Ivory bed. It seems great. My baby is also sleeping with us and I need some bedding which looks cool for all of us three! Here in Australia I have just find Lolli Living bedding and what you think about it? Also let me know about the colours!

lolita55

If she likes both colors, maybe mix them and see how they turn out, and if it is a nice color see if she likes it.

Hil

If you're going with a lilac purple or lighter purple, I would probably go with that. She can always have some pink accessories mixed with lilac. My niece had pretty pink/purple fairy lights when she was little.